U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 11:18 AM

17,698 posts, read 8,328,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
How are we supposed to tell when a Christian is sane or suffering from dementia?

When you tell me that God will punish you for baking a cake for the wrong person that sounds pretty demented to me. How do we separate the crazy from the normal when it all sounds crazy to someone outside the fundie faith bubble?
Not only that, but would a few of our posters approve of a Muslim judge injecting aspects of Sharia law into legal cases because they are following their conscience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 11:28 AM

2,278 posts, read 654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Not only that, but would a few of our posters approve of a Muslim judge injecting aspects of Sharia law into legal cases because they are following their conscience?
It is obvious their concerns about Sharia Law really boil down to market share. They have no problems at all if a judge or politician uses Christian dogma to create and interpret laws. However, let a Muslim or Jew do the same thing and they freak out.

I was never aware how many Americans actually crave a Taliban style theocracy until I started reading CD forums and other conservative websites.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:57 AM

14,928 posts, read 6,700,043 times
Quote:
How are we supposed to tell when a Christian is sane or suffering from dementia?

When you tell me that God will punish you for baking a cake for the wrong person that sounds pretty demented to me. How do we separate the crazy from the normal when it all sounds crazy to someone outside the fundie faith bubble?
When the action of that Christian causes unwarranted harm to another is when "telling" makes a difference and is imperative.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:22 PM

14,070 posts, read 8,355,684 times
Quote:

More basically -- when a fundamentalist claims god is talking to them or leading them, how does either the claimant or their listeners distinguish god's word / leading / approval from the claimant's imagination?

Christians will make a circular appeal to "discerning of spirits" or some other supernatural second-sight, or to the less wooish-sounding use of "discernment". But oddly, if I were to make a claim that a voice told me "god is dead" there would be no question in anyone's mind that I was coming apart at the seams, mentally speaking. Yet if a Christian says "god impressed such-and-such on me" or "god led me to this or that belief" then it's just the most natural thing in the world.

And of course there's the practical problem that Christians constantly disagree about their "discernment", about their interpretation of doctrine, and a thousand other things. If you don't believe me, just go over to the Christianity forum one level down -- read, and weep.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:32 PM

32,710 posts, read 8,144,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
When the action of that Christian causes unwarranted harm to another is when "telling" makes a difference and is imperative.
Well it looks like Mystic was wrong. You ARE Essentially saying that you see no problem, if others step in or hold their ground to prevent it being a problem.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:06 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,232,318 times
The title of the thread might be more accurate as: "This is why we are sometimes seen as utterly foolish"

Old 01-22-2018, 01:45 PM

7,569 posts, read 3,274,511 times
Quote:
A sane Christian will act according to the Word of God. I find it hard to believe that this judge just told the jury, "Hey vote not guilty, ignore all evidence! Do this only because God says so". God usually allows us to pay the consequences of our sins so I can't see any reason why God would want a not guilty verdict unless this woman was truly innocent.

Quote:

What is demented about not wanting to perform actions that lend approval to immoral activities? I don't want to face God on judgement day and have to explain why I encouraged people to engage in a destructive lifestyle.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:52 PM

4,876 posts, read 1,525,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The title of the thread might be more accurate as: "This is why we are sometimes seen as utterly foolish"
Why?

Old 01-22-2018, 02:00 PM

2,278 posts, read 654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
A sane Christian will act according to the Word of God. I find it hard to believe that this judge just told the jury, "Hey vote not guilty, ignore all evidence! Do this only because God says so". God usually allows us to pay the consequences of our sins so I can't see any reason why God would want a not guilty verdict unless this woman was truly innocent.

What is demented about not wanting to perform actions that lend approval to immoral activities? I don't want to face God on judgement day and have to explain why I encouraged people to engage in a destructive lifestyle.
I don't understand fundie speak, so all of the trite phrases you use are meaningless to me. According to the Word of God - what does that really mean and wouldn't it be open to personal interpretation? Is a Christian that kills an abortion doctor acting in conformance with the Will of God? Is a baker that refuses to sell cakes to gay people following the Word of God? What about a Protestant pastor that officiates at a gay wedding, Word of God approved? Where can these specific instructions be found? Even though they are all Christians, a Baptist, Catholic and a Mormon are going to have very different ideas about what the Word of God is so who and what determines the actual Will of God?

Your final comment proves my point. First, I don't agree with you that getting married is an immoral activity. Second, I fail to see how selling someone a cake is a symbol of your approval/disapproval of their relationship. The bakers know nothing about these people except that they are LGBTQ, certainly not enough to make value judgements about them or their lifestyle as you call it. You suspect that a judge that told a jury God wanted a not guilty verdict is suffering from mental illness or dementia. However, you are worried about the ramifications of not being nasty enough to gay people to satisfy your angry God. Your statement sounds just as crazy to me as what the judge said - just being honest with you.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:46 PM

12,255 posts, read 3,905,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Everyone who questions why atheists are active and vocal about the influence of religion in this country needs to read this.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/judge-inte...164050271.html

"A Texas state judge says that God called on him to intervene and ask the jury to deliver a not guilty verdict in a sex trafficking case.

The Comal County Judge Jack Robison reportedly told jurors last week that when “God tells me I gotta do something, I gotta do it.”

Robison asked jurors for a not guilty verdict in the case of a woman accused of trafficking an underage girl, according to The Dallas Morning News."
Good Lord, ''God told me to do it!''

Thas a hellofathang.

Meh, Christians always need Atheists, heck, Transponder will teach a Christian more than his preacher will teach him, and that's the truth, he knows more of Christian history than most Christians. He gonna die next to some Christian, and the Christian will look up and say,'' What are you doing up there, you don't even believe in God?'' Somebody has to be here to make a person read, buy them books, send them to school and they still don't want to read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or