Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 01:49 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times

Advertisements

Oh yes you do. You may not like it, but you need it. That has been clear for a Loooong time, even without this particular stark example of the Problem. And you will get more and more of what we do. So you may as well lie back and enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 02:53 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The original post does not back up the premise of the title. Nothing is proven.

We also don't need more of the atheist vs. believer childish nonsense.
It DOES back up the premise of the title in that people in positions of power may do irrational things based on religious perceptions and rational people (particularly atheists) are more apt to be on giuard against this kind of insanity.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:55 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I'm sure that some Christians will say, this judge was not a Real Christian (tm) because Real Christians aren't delusional. And yet I'll bet no one can give me a coherent, objective way to tell the difference between their beliefs and their imagination.
When ACTUAL harm is caused by the belief-based action?

Old 01-21-2018, 03:16 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
I think religion provides the framework for no reality checks. Most people don't seem to have a problem handling it but enough do. For example my mom exists in an environment where it makes complete sense that the government would be tapping her phone and me(her own daughter) is Satan's puppet. She hoards food in preparation for the great tribulation. Instead of being able to be talked out of these bizarre behaviors any attempt to reason with her digs her further in because Satan. She can come face to face with another person who is embroiled in the exact same belief system as she except for one minor detail and not notice her own reflection because false prophets. A reasonable person would see someone getting tricked and start to wonder if they were too. In her world it is actually proof she is right. She sees "signs" because that's what they told her to see. Try running the word "Apophenia" by a religious person. Instead of taking a reality check and deciding if they might have something else going on it's a signal they are of the elect because that's what they are told is supposed to happen. That's how you end up with people that think the thoughts in their heads are some sort of super authority and the never reality check.

I started down that way due to brain priming+stressors so I know it's compelling and seductive. Luckily I decided to prove my hunch right by being unable to prove myself wrong. That took all of one Google search. They aren't supposed to doubt these thoughts so they don't even if they were so inclined.

The uber religious are against change because Satan is in control and the world is supposed to get more wicked. Any advancement is seen as wicked. They are against world peace because that's a sign of the Anti-Christ. The Anti-Christ is the one who establishes world peace so there going to prepper their way to a meltdown.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:32 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
They are against world peace because that's a sign of the Anti-Christ. The Anti-Christ is the one who establishes world peace so there going to prepper their way to a meltdown.
That's because the "world peace" mentioned is a FAKE peace that doesn't last. You missed that little detail.

Surely you know there are people who promote peace with their lips but do the opposite when no one is looking, don't you?

Old 01-21-2018, 03:58 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The original post does not back up the premise of the title. Nothing is proven.

We also don't need more of the atheist vs. believer childish nonsense.
You really don't see anything wrong with a judge telling a jury to acquit a defendant because god told him to???

Would you feel the same if his god was Allah?

This is what happens when religion dictates law. How do you feel when you hear of some other country where the punishment is stoning in the public square? Since that happens mostly in non-Christian countries I suspect you think they are barbarians.

Guess what - this christain judge just behaved barbarically.

*THAT* I will fight every damn day.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:12 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That's because the "world peace" mentioned is a FAKE peace that doesn't last. You missed that little detail.

Surely you know there are people who promote peace with their lips but do the opposite when no one is looking, don't you?
How do you know it's a false peace? Is your solution to not even try because you may come out on the short end in a game of tit for tat? Would you actively seek to undermine peace for fear it is false? Yes, a certain percent of the population are selfish, I get that.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
It DOES back up the premise of the title in that people in positions of power may do irrational things based on religious perceptions and rational people (particularly atheists) are more apt to be on giuard against this kind of insanity.
I agree. People are free to believe what they like, even preach it, and organize communities of believers, within the law.

But this is why we say that religion is irrational and may become dangerous. This is exactly why it is really incompatible with science, this is exactly why it should be kept out of the public domain, this is exactly why it should be kept out of schools. This is exactly why separation of church and state is needed. This is ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr7hg7zDOQk

Old 01-21-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
When ACTUAL harm is caused by the belief-based action?
How can you possibly ask such a question? This was a legal official whom we are supposed to trust making a decision not on the legal case but on some supposed divine inspiration. If the Jury had gone along with that, an illegal (and it looks like) immoral action would have been excused under the law and could have become a legal precedent. The People had to stand up and tell the judge "No" in order to see justice done. A jury has to defy the judge in order to prevent a threatened miscarriage of justice PURELY because of religious delusions, and you don't see a problem here?

Old 01-21-2018, 10:12 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
How can you possibly ask such a question? This was a legal official whom we are supposed to trust making a decision not on the legal case but on some supposed divine inspiration. If the Jury had gone along with that, an illegal (and it looks like) immoral action would have been excused under the law and could have become a legal precedent. The People had to stand up and tell the judge "No" in order to see justice done. A jury has to defy the judge in order to prevent a threatened miscarriage of justice PURELY because of religious delusions, and you don't see a problem here?
Nate was answering a question, NOT asking one, Arq. Of course, he sees a problem here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality