Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 11:32 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
I get that Mystic is not a conventional believer. What I addressed was his statement that inspiration from a god is limited by humans.
The inspiration from God is not limited by humans, the correct perception and interpretation of it IS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 11:35 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
You are free to believe what you wish. The problem with your laxed form of belief is that it can justify belief in about anything without evidence. Does it really make any sense to you that a god would communicate with us through such a flawed concept as the Bible?
God did not communicate with us through the Bible. He communicated with us through human beings who were sensitive to and receptive to His urgings. He continues to do so because He abides with us as the Comforter sent in Christ's name to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts."

Old 02-01-2018, 02:51 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Nope, there is no being in life more righteous than God. It is simply impossible for God to ever do anything sinful. To even remotely grasp such concepts requires an in depth understanding on the nature sin and exactly what is sin. Such knowledge that spiritually dead atheists lack.
That is totally contradicted by the Bible. There is stuff done that if a human did it, he would burn forever. But God gets away with it either because humans get the blame, he is powerful enough that nobody can accuse him and make it stick, or whatever he does is good simply because he does it.

Either way it is all comes down to God can dictate the rules. Even aside that this is a faith -claim without any real validation. We don't reject God because he is a evil being, though that is a reason to doubt the bible claims, but because we see no reason to believe these faith -claims you plonk down as though they were undeniable truths.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I must say, as King of the Universe, the Christian God has some pretty enviable perks. He can do anything he wants, and it can never be considered evil by anyone. And he has legions of followers / enforcers that will make sure that everyone is aware of this great cosmic policy.

The worlds’ mafia bosses and ruthless dictators should be quite jealous.
Yeah, the perks are very good. I applied for the job but was rejected as not being omnipotent enough.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
No, actually it doesn't happen every day but it's a cautionary tale that can and should be called out. Doing so is not "whining".

Unless you think this was perfectly okay. Which I very much doubt you do.

Of course I also suspect you think it has nothing to do with "Real Christianity(tm)". Nothing at all. Nothing to see here, folks ... move along ...
Well done. That post of BF's was the worst example I can recall of bashing atheism with something he clearly hasn't even bothered to understand. Really just the stock kneejerk reaction of anything bad is atheist, because anything atheist is bad.

Another reason why these people and their influence need to be rolled back out of society, sooner rather than later.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:06 AM

Quote:
You are free to believe what you wish. The problem with your laxed form of belief is that it can justify belief in about anything without evidence. Does it really make any sense to you that a god would communicate with us through such a flawed concept as the Bible?
Stick with it Maat. Mystic rather than explaining what HE believes, will allow you to respond as though to a ROTM Christian and then crow 'you are wrong - that's not what I believe" (1), until you realize that you either try to investigate his own brand of Christianity (which is like nothing else i ever heard of) of forget about him and get back to debating the Christianity all the others believe in. I'm here if you need me.

(1) together with a snippit of his own Faith -claims wangled in under the "If you were wrong with this, my belief must be right" ploy. he's gotta million of 'em.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:07 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
God did not communicate with us through the Bible. He communicated with us through human beings who were sensitive to and receptive to His urgings. He continues to do so because He abides with us as the Comforter sent in Christ's name to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts."
In what reasonable way do you substantiate this belief? How do you explain a terrorist strapping on a bomb and killing? What is the difference between your flavor of belief that makes it real?

I’m curious as to how you believe Jesus is a real god without the Bible. How do you discern Jesus from Harry Potter?

Old 02-01-2018, 06:38 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Nope, there is no being in life more righteous than God. It is simply impossible for God to ever do anything sinful. To even remotely grasp such concepts requires an in depth understanding on the nature sin and exactly what is sin. Such knowledge that spiritually dead atheists lack.
Who are these "spiritually dead atheists" that you refer to? Is there a list somewhere?

Old 02-01-2018, 09:14 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,732,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Who are these "spiritually dead atheists" that you refer to? Is there a list somewhere?
Anyone who is not born again is spiritually dead. Their god is the desires of the physical flesh which is corrupted and will die.

Quote:

As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. 3 All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh[a] and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. 4 But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.

Ephesians 2:2-5

Old 02-01-2018, 09:28 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
In what reasonable way do you substantiate this belief? How do you explain a terrorist strapping on a bomb and killing? What is the difference between your flavor of belief that makes it real?

I’m curious as to how you believe Jesus is a real god without the Bible. How do you discern Jesus from Harry Potter?
Start with the realization that the Bible as a whole is internally inconsistent in the various presentations or concepts of the nature of God, so acknowledge that it is de facto not authoritative.

Analyze the presentations of the core message concerning the nature of God as taught by Jesus and presented by the witnesses recorded, recognizing that some elements may not be accurately understood by some of those witnesses. In other words, don't accept every word as truth, but look for a consistent and internally cohesive message. Consider what that message means.

Determine whether the actions of enthusiasts are consistent with that message, for instance, "is murder consistent with an imperative to love?"

It is not necessary to determine that Jesus IS God, but whether that message is FROM God and it is not necessary for the Bible to be authoritative in order to do that, just whether a consistent and usable message can be determined as a good foundation for action.

I'd venture to say that you already discount the ideas of that terrorist as irrational.

Oh, yes, about Harry Potter. Is there a sound basis for believing in magic, and is it important to understanding his values?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality