U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM

3,918 posts, read 3,075,406 times

Advertisements

Everyone who questions why atheists are active and vocal about the influence of religion in this country needs to read this.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/judge-inte...164050271.html

"A Texas state judge says that God called on him to intervene and ask the jury to deliver a not guilty verdict in a sex trafficking case.

The Comal County Judge Jack Robison reportedly told jurors last week that when “God tells me I gotta do something, I gotta do it.”

Robison asked jurors for a not guilty verdict in the case of a woman accused of trafficking an underage girl, according to The Dallas Morning News."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM

13,806 posts, read 7,672,112 times
Yet if I were a judge and told the jury that an invisible leprechaun and told me the jury must find a defendant innocent of sex trafficking ... the trial would halt and they'd haul me away in a straight jacket.

At least he was rational enough to recuse himself and let another judge step in. And at least the jury was rational enough to "disobey god" and convict the woman for pimping her own daughter. Based on, you know, the evidence.

And people wonder why we have a "moral bankruptcy of Christianity" thread going!

I'm sure that some Christians will say, this judge was not a Real Christian (tm) because Real Christians aren't delusional. And yet I'll bet no one can give me a coherent, objective way to tell the difference between their beliefs and their imagination.

Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM

2,997 posts, read 943,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Everyone who questions why atheists are active and vocal about the influence of religion in this country needs to read this.

"A Texas state judge says that God called on him to intervene and ask the jury to deliver a not guilty verdict in a sex trafficking case.

The Comal County Judge Jack Robison reportedly told jurors last week that when “God tells me I gotta do something, I gotta do it.”

Robison asked jurors for a not guilty verdict in the case of a woman accused of trafficking an underage girl, according to The Dallas Morning News."
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yet if I were a judge and told the jury that an invisible leprechaun and told me the jury must find a defendant innocent of sex trafficking ... the trial would halt and they'd haul me away in a straight jacket.

At least he was rational enough to recuse himself and let another judge step in. And at least the jury was rational enough to "disobey god" and convict the woman for pimping her own daughter. Based on, you know, the evidence.

And people wonder why we have a "moral bankruptcy of Christianity" thread going!

I'm sure that some Christians will say, this judge was not a Real Christian (tm) because Real Christians aren't delusional. And yet I'll bet no one can give me a coherent, objective way to tell the difference between their beliefs and their imagination.

The guy gets up in the middle of the night, gets a sharp knife from the kitchen and slaughters his four kids.
He gets arrested and says, "God asked me to do so". (True story).

Are you going to blame God for this crime, or you are going to use your common sense and question the mental stability of the person AND bring him under the wait of law?

Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM

13,806 posts, read 7,672,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
The guy gets up in the middle of the night, gets a sharp knife from the kitchen and slaughters his four kids.

Are you going to blame God for this crime, or you are going to use your common sense and question the mental stability of the person AND bring him under the wait of law?
We still (nominally) live in a society that will (usually) question the mental stability of a person and still do the right thing, as this jury did.

It isn't a question of blaming god -- an atheist will never do that anyway, as he sees no god to blame.

The problem is that theists can claim god as their authority for any random action -- and the more untethered from reality the brand of theism is, the more dangerous that is for society. You have judges telling jurors god wants a particular verdict; you have people claiming god wants them to commit murder.

Or a perhaps more relatable example, here in the US, you have dominionist Christians claiming that god would not allow humans to change the climate, that god is in firm control of that, so we can remove all environmental regulations and protections because climate change is a "hoax". Even if you don't understand or aren't convinced by the science -- do you really want public policy governed by random people's notion of what god wants? Sooner or later, their idea of what god wants is going to run counter to yours. And it's going to harm you. Sooner or later some company is going to pollute your air or water or sell you tainted food because of some believer's notion of what god thinks is okay.

Ultimately no one can explain to me how you objectively tell the difference between what someone claims god wants, and the claimant's imagination. I don't want to be governed by other people's imagination of what god wants.

Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM

1,823 posts, read 435,455 times
Nations have been going to war with each other and killing in the name of God/ religion for centuries, I dont think thats going to change anytime soon. Should we really be surprised when individuals do this same thing?

Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM

30,595 posts, read 6,449,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post

False analogy.This judge was not mentally criminal, but delusional specifically because of Godfaith. Without that, he would go on the evidence. Three examples of that and you'd have to say he was not fit for purpose and should be sacked - and Godfaith and nothing else would be to blame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Nations have been going to war with each other and killing in the name of God/ religion for centuries, I dont think thats going to change anytime soon. Should we really be surprised when individuals do this same thing?
There's a bit of a difference there. We have been going to war as an ingrained human instinct, just as we have been trying to devise fair and workable moral codes as that is part instinct and part education. Godfaith getting involved in that is not helpful, and we would do better without, but it is not the Reason for those things.

That Judge going off the guideline rails was purely and simply because of s delusion encouraged by Godfaith and by nothing else that I can see. It is a flashing red light about how dangerous Godfaith is. And it's far from the only red light signal.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; Yesterday at 11:11 AM..

Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM

6,370 posts, read 2,695,257 times
Quote:

He needs to be removed from the bench.

Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM

533 posts, read 160,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
He needs to be removed from the bench.
He'd probably just win the next election for the seat, a la Roy Moore in Alabama. This sort of move likely enhances his standing with much of his constituency.

And I'll bet a large chunk of those voters are ones who talk reverently - and without a hint of irony - about a 'return to constitutional government'.

Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM

303 posts, read 94,309 times
Quote:

Surely God is guilty. Truthfully? I don't think God had anything to do with that. I'd look through the Beast System's law books and classified lies and deceptions he was well trained in: Men as gods, section.

The God Mammon, money talking...isn't that the true god of corporations with government's and the whole system at play? Corruption, deceit, lies all classified. A government of the corporations, by the corporations, for the corporations. A corporation is a group of people that cannot be held accountable or blamed for anything they decide to do. God did not create the Beast System, Men as gods did. And the whole ego system is being saturated with poisons and pollution, these corporate entities are the gods they serve. And we either serve...or go extinct.

Oh help us God
Unclassified.

Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM

1,740 posts, read 584,921 times
The original post does not back up the premise of the title. Nothing is proven.

We also don't need more of the atheist vs. believer childish nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality