U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 07:31 PM

37,342 posts, read 25,151,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Sure, you need to have enough brainpower to build upon experience and get organized, creating a civilization. So what? You still haven’t shown anything.
It is a given that we are evolved enough to be civilized. As evidence, I present the proof that we are civilized. Great. Although you brought up the alleged rapid development of civilization, you have not shown why that speed may be notable, anomalous, or related to any particular evolutionary development.
I take it back. You probably do NOT know enough about evolutionary processes. The evolution of our physical structure has been validated by the discovery and investigation of DNA. Why would you accept that our bone structure and other physical attributes evolved through changes in the DNA but poo-poo the same evolution to our cognitive structures? The physical structures are far more difficult to change and require considerable time to effect but our cognitive structures are much more malleable and fluid because they are alterable through experience and learning. The heritable epigenetic effects on cognitive structures are far more influential than the genetic ones and their effects are more immediate on succeeding generations. This is the reason for the exponential advancement over such a short time period. Unfortunately, the effects are potentially reversible just as rapidly depending on the extant trend in memes and learning.
Quote:
Yes, I have seen it before. Often enough, and which such little substance behind it, that I very much doubt the PhD portion of mysticphd.
::Sigh:: Just exactly how many of my 35,000+ posts have you actually read. There are many containing significant content in discussions with those who purported to be experts in their fields.
Quote:
It is his typical twaddle wherein he says something about religion, them brings in an 7nrelated item, says ‘aha!’, and is incapable of defending his position.
Feel free to actually challenge something you think I present and am unable to defend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 05:18 AM

13,341 posts, read 5,167,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
On what planet?

Your analysis is all wrong.

Monotheism actually spurred Judaism into a genocidal frenzy.
Genocidal frenzy? I think not. The surrounding "cultures" were perpetually at war with the Hebrews. They hung on through sheer grit, think David v. Goliath. Eventually however they were beaten, as you point out, by Babylonia.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:15 AM

34,136 posts, read 8,770,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I take it back. You probably do NOT know enough about evolutionary processes. The evolution of our physical structure has been validated by the discovery and investigation of DNA. Why would you accept that our bone structure and other physical attributes evolved through changes in the DNA but poo-poo the same evolution to our cognitive structures? The physical structures are far more difficult to change and require considerable time to effect but our cognitive structures are much more malleable and fluid because they are alterable through experience and learning. The heritable epigenetic effects on cognitive structures are far more influential than the genetic ones and their effects are more immediate on succeeding generations. This is the reason for the exponential advancement over such a short time period. Unfortunately, the effects are potentially reversible just as rapidly depending on the extant trend in memes and learning. ::Sigh:: Just exactly how many of my 35,000+ posts have you actually read. There are many containing significant content in discussions with those who purported to be experts in their fields. Feel free to actually challenge something you think I present and am unable to defend.
Consciousness DNA? That's a new one. But in fact you're quite right, or so I'd argue. Consciousness as a product of the mind is derived from a mind evolved by natural selection to boost problem solving to level needed to survive a near terminal drought followed but a terminal ice age for the last Other human species (Neanderthals), and the template is indeed passed on by DNA.

To that extent I agree. Could it be that, finally, you do?

Old 09-17-2018, 01:03 PM

37,342 posts, read 25,151,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I take it back. You probably do NOT know enough about evolutionary processes. The evolution of our physical structure has been validated by the discovery and investigation of DNA. Why would you accept that our bone structure and other physical attributes evolved through changes in the DNA but poo-poo the same evolution to our cognitive structures? The physical structures are far more difficult to change and require considerable time to effect but our cognitive structures are much more malleable and fluid because they are alterable through experience and learning. The heritable epigenetic effects on cognitive structures are far more influential than the genetic ones and their effects are more immediate on succeeding generations. This is the reason for the exponential advancement over such a short time period. Unfortunately, the effects are potentially reversible just as rapidly depending on the extant trend in memes and learning. ::Sigh:: Just exactly how many of my 35,000+ posts have you actually read. There are many containing significant content in discussions with those who purported to be experts in their fields. Feel free to actually challenge something you think I present and am unable to defend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Consciousness DNA? That's a new one. But in fact, you're quite right, or so I'd argue. Consciousness as a product of the mind is derived from a mind evolved by natural selection to boost problem-solving to level needed to survive a near terminal drought followed but a terminal ice age for the last Other human species (Neanderthals), and the template is indeed passed on by DNA.

To that extent, I agree. Could it be that, finally, you do?
You, Arq, are the one finally grasping the truth of my "spiritual fossil record" i.e., the recorded evidence of the evolution of cognitive structures in the brain through epigenetic processes via memes and learning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality