U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-25-2018, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
15,982 posts, read 7,556,120 times
Reputation: 15862

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Sure He gets angry- Jesus did when he cleaned out the temple. Gods wrath will only be an issue for unbelievers at Judgement. He may get angry at believers sins, but we will be seen as righteous at Judgement- covered in the blood of Christ. Unbelievers sins will not be covered, therefore subject to His wrath- in this case, eternal damnation in hell.
Oh, I thought he was ever-loving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2018, 12:11 PM
 
3,615 posts, read 842,409 times
Reputation: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Yes, but for a parent to become extremely angry over the known outcome; some type of desired expectation was broken.

Expectation (noun)----a strong belief that something will happen or be the case in the future.

So we are capable of doing the opposite of that which God believes to be true in the future. How can THAT be a characteristic of an all-knowing being?
Knowing we will sin and allowing us to do so does not invalidate his sovereignty. We do what is consistent with our nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2018, 12:25 PM
 
6,065 posts, read 9,270,499 times
Reputation: 4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Knowing we will sin and allowing us to do so does not invalidate his sovereignty. We do what is consistent with our nature.
True, but getting angry over a known outcome should (at the very least) make us question whether or not he is all-knowing. As parents, we may get angry with our kids over known actions. However, it is unknown to us how those kids will turn out as adults.

It is a parent's fear of the unknown that drives our passion; it's the unknown that drives our anger. We hope for the best for our kids because we do not know the outcome. Anger comes from the fear that our hopes, dreams, and expectations are in danger of not happening. These feelings simply do not apply to an all-knowing being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2018, 12:32 PM
 
3,615 posts, read 842,409 times
Reputation: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
True, but getting angry over a known outcome should (at the very least) make us question whether or not he is all-knowing. As parents, we may get angry with our kids over known actions. However, it is unknown to us how those kids will turn out as adults.

It is a parent's fear of the unknown that drives our passion; it's the unknown that drives our anger. We hope for the best for our kids because we do not know the outcome. Anger comes from the fear that our hopes, dreams, and expectations are in danger of not happening. These feelings simply do not apply to an all-knowing being.
Let me ease your mind, then. He's all-knowing. He's the God of the universe, and he has routinely declared and predicted what would happen hundreds and thousands of years later. He knows his Creation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2018, 01:04 PM
 
4,775 posts, read 4,378,853 times
Reputation: 936
Yet another therapy session for the hellbound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2018, 01:35 PM
 
6,065 posts, read 9,270,499 times
Reputation: 4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Let me ease your mind, then. He's all-knowing. He's the God of the universe, and he has routinely declared and predicted what would happen hundreds and thousands of years later. He knows his Creation.
Ease my mind? I'm not worried about anything when it comes to religion. This is just an adult conversation about God and his anger. Religious folks don't want to make him angry. I'm trying to figure out how an alleged all-knowing being can get angry in the first place. You say that he knows his creation (past, present, and future). Ok, then why get angry over a present that you've already witnessed in the past? And why judge (with an angry passion) a future that you've already created in the past?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2018, 01:41 PM
 
3,615 posts, read 842,409 times
Reputation: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Ease my mind? I'm not worried about anything when it comes to religion. This is just an adult conversation about God and his anger. Religious folks don't want to make him angry. I'm trying to figure out how an alleged all-knowing being can get angry in the first place. You say that he knows his creation (past, present, and future). Ok, then why get angry over a present that you've already witnessed in the past? And why judge (with an angry passion) a future that you've already created in the past?
He's holy, just, and righteous. He punishes sin.

The good news is that he's also loving. To the point that he took the punishment himself. All one needs to do is trust Jesus in faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2018, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
13,982 posts, read 6,279,558 times
Reputation: 1444
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
He's holy, just, and righteous. He punishes sin.

The good news is that he's also loving. To the point that he took the punishment himself. All one needs to do is trust Jesus in faith.
Yup, that's the strange theology I was talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2018, 05:11 PM
 
3,232 posts, read 1,210,738 times
Reputation: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Wrath (noun)----extreme anger, fury, rage

As people, we all experience anger/rage. It could be because someone cut you off on the freeway. It could be because of a death in the family. It could even be because we are a victim of a crime. Whatever the reason, we can ALL relate to this thing called anger.

Let's now apply this to a "God"
Clearly, the Christian God experiences anger; and not just average anger. He has wrath (and lots of it). First, let's examine some common triggers of anger before we get into God's anger issues.....

-Fired from your job (didn't expect THAT to happen)
-Your S/O cheated on you (didn't expect THAT to happen)
-Your teen stole money from you (didn't expect THAT to happen)

What ever the triggers are, all triggers are the unexpected results to otherwise pleasant expectations. Here's the problem. How can an all-knowing eternal being get blind sided by the unexpected? And if the source of all creation did in fact "see it coming" then he CREATED it.

The entire idea of an angry God that we should fear demotes God beneath the title of all-knowing/all-powerful. Therefore, an all powerful being could not experience anger; proof that we created him in OUR image and in OUR likeness...

I'd like to read some of your thoughts on the topic of God's wrath. Do you believe that God gets angry? Do you fear his anger? Are you non-believing like me and see anger as evidence of a God that we invented? All comments are welcomed and respected.

How about being kicked in the teeth for offering life everlasting--don't do one single thing for it. Not much to ask in return. They never did it until the fallen angel called devil and satan lied to Eve, If God killed them on the spot, none born ever would have been born. Would that be your choice? Or let it be proven once and for all time, God is correct.( it is almost done. One must do this( Matthew 7:21) --- Mortals need know only good, and choose with their free will to listen to Gods advice about the best path to LASTING happiness. Or is satan correct. If we know both sides our selves we can choose for ourselves--This current world is this. God is correct--stand for him and he will stand for you. YHWH(Jehovah) His kingdom will be a cure all.
when one reads the bible, they find for the majority of time --99% were being mislead. Jesus compared these last days to Noahs day( 99% mislead)All need to relook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2018, 05:46 PM
 
6,065 posts, read 9,270,499 times
Reputation: 4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
How about being kicked in the teeth for offering life everlasting--don't do one single thing for it. Not much to ask in return. They never did it until the fallen angel called devil and satan lied to Eve, If God killed them on the spot, none born ever would have been born. Would that be your choice? Or let it be proven once and for all time, God is correct.( it is almost done. One must do this( Matthew 7:21) --- Mortals need know only good, and choose with their free will to listen to Gods advice about the best path to LASTING happiness. Or is satan correct. If we know both sides our selves we can choose for ourselves--This current world is this. God is correct--stand for him and he will stand for you. YHWH(Jehovah) His kingdom will be a cure all.
when one reads the bible, they find for the majority of time --99% were being mislead. Jesus compared these last days to Noahs day( 99% mislead)All need to relook.
Wow, I could come up with 15 different threads from your post alone!!! Thank YOU; you've given me a lot of insight into the religious mind. Now tell me friend......How do you feel about God's anger? Are you afraid of him? Do you truly fear his wrath? Please share, I won't judge. This is a learning experience for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top