Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 10:01 AM

45,573 posts, read 27,172,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
1) Anger is anger. You can't have a special definition of it for god

2) A child gets angry because it doesn't expect to be restricted, or expects to get away with ignoring a restriction. The basic mechanism still holds.

3) You may be laboring under the misconception that there are special kinds of justified anger such as "righteous indignation" but they are just specific / detailed reasons for generic anger. In this case, "righteous" expectations are violated. I expected obedience, didn't get it.
1- I did not give a special definition. I just said our anger comes from Him.

2- Parents can get angry when children do what is not expected, even when a child is prone to disobedience (anger not unexpected).

3- I am just talking general anger... not any of the actions or repercussions that result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 10:12 AM

45,573 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Isn't God on a much higher level than a parent? God can predict outcomes as well as create them. How can a parent with those powers get angry? I'm a father of 3 and I WISHED that I had those powers sometimes.

At any rate, I do like your God-parent analogy. You see "us vs angry God" as "teen/child vs angry parent". I see it as "new born baby vs angry parent". In my world view, something is wrong with the parent.
Of course God is on a higher level... that doesn't mean He is beyond anger.

God gives us a measure of free will. If He values love, then there has to be the existence of free will - otherwise we are a bunch of robots who simply follows orders. He wants people to love Him on their own. That also means there is the choice to not love Him and be disobedient to Him.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:13 AM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
He wants people to love Him on their own. That also means there is the choice to not love Him and be disobedient to Him.
Which would not anger him as it's entirely expected, is no threat to him, and he would not let it interfere with his benevolence.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:16 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
You created some scenarios in linking anger to unexpected events - which is not the case with God.

So how about looking at it from a parent-child relationship. A parent can tell a child to do something, and be angry when it doesn't get done - especially after repeatedly giving the same instruction. An event does not have to be unexpected to generate anger.

Understand that we come from God. The reason we get angry is because we are made in His image - and He gets angry.
You make god sound like little more than a glorified human being.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:34 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
So, DRob4JC, are you sayi g that a parent gives instructions to a child with the expectation that they will NOT be followed? I think I begin to understand the basis of your strange theology.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:35 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Of course God is on a higher level... that doesn't mean He is beyond anger.

God gives us a measure of free will. If He values love, then there has to be the existence of free will - otherwise we are a bunch of robots who simply follows orders. He wants people to love Him on their own.That also means there is the choice to not love Him and be disobedient to Him.
And the disobedience (that God knew was going to happen when he decided to create us) makes him "angry". You're basically saying that God gets frustrated with human actions that he imagined into existence.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:06 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So, DRob4JC, are you sayi g that a parent gives instructions to a child with the expectation that they will NOT be followed? I think I begin to understand the basis of your strange theology.
I think every parent experiences the phenomenon of telling their kid to do something they know they won't. If you haven't, you're not a parent.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:22 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I think every parent experiences the phenomenon of telling their kid to do something they know they won't. If you haven't, you're not a parent.
Or at least an omniscient one.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:33 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,141 times
Sure He gets angry- Jesus did when he cleaned out the temple. Gods wrath will only be an issue for unbelievers at Judgement. He may get angry at believers sins, but we will be seen as righteous at Judgement- covered in the blood of Christ. Unbelievers sins will not be covered, therefore subject to His wrath- in this case, eternal damnation in hell.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:34 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes, but for a parent to become extremely angry over the known outcome; some type of desired expectation was broken.

Expectation (noun)----a strong belief that something will happen or be the case in the future.

So we are capable of doing the opposite of that which God believes to be true in the future. How can THAT be a characteristic of an all-knowing being?

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 01-25-2018 at 11:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality