U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 11:44 AM

6,895 posts, read 4,296,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Where? The Bible says nothing of that.

Again...they can't. Nowhere in Scripture is the idea that angels and humans can procreate.
It says "none of that" to you, but to many other Christians, it reads clearly what a Nephilim is in Genesis 6:1-4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephilim

To a Muslim, of course, angels are only slave-robots, and not "children of God." Muhammad was misled by Iblis (the Free-will Genie uniquely made of Light like the slave-robot Angels) to make the mistake of saying that Angels were sons and daughters of God, as if though they had free-will.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 01-26-2018 at 11:53 AM..

Old 01-26-2018, 11:44 AM

5,285 posts, read 1,326,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
It says "none of that" to you, but to many other Christians, it reads clearly what a Nephilim is in Genesis 6.
Yes, some people read that into Genesis 6. I agree.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Yes, some people read that into Genesis 6. I agree.
Yes, Christianity is what you and other Christians make it. Do other Christians not have the "Holy Spirit" to interpret that Bibliolatry correctly, unlike you today?

What do you read into your Bibliolatry of that passage? I'm curious to see how you could sit there and says that "sons of God" are just special men who have gigantic babies the size of buildings and colossi-statues (making humans seem like grasshoppers in their presence) with "daughters of humans".

Go ahead and paste your favorite translation of the vaguery cause (author) of this confusion (among Christians all claiming "Holy Spirit" power)while we are at it.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:43 PM

5,285 posts, read 1,326,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Yes, Christianity is what you and other Christians make it. Do other Christians not have the "Holy Spirit" to interpret that Bibliolatry correctly, unlike you today?

What do you read into your Bibliolatry of that passage? I'm curious to see how you could sit there and says that "sons of God" are just special men who have gigantic babies the size of buildings and colossi-statues (making humans seem like grasshoppers in their presence) with "daughters of humans".

Go ahead and paste your favorite translation of the vaguery cause (author) of this confusion (among Christians all claiming "Holy Spirit" power)while we are at it.
You're just all over this today, aren't you? First you tried hijacking the other thread, now you're attacking me here. Wow..you're quite the busy beaver today!

This passage in question is not an essential. I don't really care what people think on it. It's not something that I care about. This passage really doesn't define what is or is not a Christian.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:29 PM

34,462 posts, read 8,876,928 times
I'm with Mordant. After reading this thread, I have rarely been so happy that I don't have to try to believe it.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:22 PM

37,480 posts, read 25,224,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
This kind of doctrinal tangle is one reason I'm glad I have no skin in this game anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'm with Mordant. After reading this thread, I have rarely been so happy that I don't have to try to believe it.
Amen. The unnecessary debate over trivialities in the "precepts and doctrines of men" only serve as stumbling blocks to spiritual maturation and belief in God.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:15 AM

34,462 posts, read 8,876,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen. The unnecessary debate over trivialities in the "precepts and doctrines of men" only serve as stumbling blocks to spiritual maturation and belief in God.
As always, I agree with you more than I disagree. Disputes over doctrine or interpretation of scripture can of course be carried on here, but they hold little or no interest for me as an unsaveable unbeliever.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
You're just all over this today, aren't you? First you tried hijacking the other thread, now you're attacking me here. Wow..you're quite the busy beaver today!

This passage in question is not an essential. I don't really care what people think on it. It's not something that I care about. This passage really doesn't define what is or is not a Christian.
You feel attacked? I wonder why Bibliolatry and Idolatry are not bad words, are they? I merely asked you to give us your favorite translation and your currently favorite interpretation. I've never heard of Christians who didn't think Nephilim were a half-human and half-fallen-angel hybrid.

You don't seem to care about a lot of things, but I don't think that is a proper sophist tactic if you are still trying to argue the pros of your leaning on the issue. Perhaps it would work to convince certain types of individuals, but not the kind that would visit a forum to learn new things, I would think. I guess a pre-disposition for not caring about clarifying detail would explain the chosen fundamentalism and religious leanings (Abrahamism, etc).

The passage does define, however, what one passage in the common Biblical canon of Christians says about whether angels can have children, which was one of the central topics we were discussing and you were arguing against.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:23 PM

5,508 posts, read 2,590,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
As always, I agree with you more than I disagree. Disputes over doctrine or interpretation of scripture can of course be carried on here, but they hold little or no interest for me as an unsaveable unbeliever.
What troubles me is that scripture needs interpretation.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:03 AM

6,643 posts, read 3,992,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
What troubles me is that scripture needs interpretation.
While if scripture is a spiritual language ( i believe it is) does it not make sense then that it can only be interpreted spiritually?

The problem with both fundamentalist Christians and fundamentalist atheist is they read the scriptures literally. I see this happen all the time here. the fundamental atheist read the scriptures about the flood and God telling Moses to kill babies etc. and poke fun at it and ask the fundamental christian to explain why God would do such a thing when God is suppose to be love. And the fundamental christian has no answer for them except to say something like it is God creation and He can do what He likes with it.

Both read the scriptures literally and miss the mark of what those scriptures are actually saying. Tis no wonder one laughs when reading the scriptures and the other one cannot reconcile them with a God of love; which causes more laughter from the fundamental atheist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or