U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 12:34 PM

3,417 posts, read 1,254,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I would also say if the People of a God were changed or killed off, he wasn't God.
Dont agree.
Every nation in the history of mankind is given a particular time by God. When their time is up, they are vanished, and new nations arise.

Go look at the ancient ruins all over the world - everyone had to go thru the test of time. And nobody could win from time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 12:47 PM

25,323 posts, read 24,133,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
There is no ONE TRUE GOD. All gods will eventually fade out and disappear, even if it takes the end of humanity.

As ukrkoz points out - gods are Egregores.

The current god will evolve into a new god over time as has happened with the Abrahamic god which itself had earlier origins.
Meh, I didn't create this contest. I'm just following the rules: he who fades from memory with the most toys wins.

I'm sticking with my horse. Undebatably, archaelogically, textually, and contemporarily, well...it's the Hindus.

Go Team Hindu!

Old 01-28-2018, 12:53 PM

Oh, and FTR, Hinduism assumes the existence or Atman, "one soul," which means we are not just joined, we actually ARE of one soul; all creatures, all things, you, I, a tree, an Easter egg, my shoe, David Beckham, your pet terrier, the gods.

Although individual gods may be worshipped or at least recognized for their attributes as part of a whole, those who are said to be more advanced along the path of samsara (birth, death, rebirth) begin to realize the real knowledge of Atman and realize the "gods" must also be Atman and therefore, wait for it...

...there is just ONE.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:59 PM

13,245 posts, read 4,228,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Dont agree.
Every nation in the history of mankind is given a particular time by God. When their time is up, they are vanished, and new nations arise.

Go look at the ancient ruins all over the world - everyone had to go thru the test of time. And nobody could win from time.
Do you better than that.

Amos
"Are you not as the sons of Ethiopia to Me, O sons of Israel?" declares the LORD. "Have I not brought up Israel from the land of Egypt, And the Philistines from Caphtor and the Arameans from Kir?

Old 01-28-2018, 01:19 PM

18,882 posts, read 8,860,357 times
Quote:
Not really - human conciousness and perception of "God" does not start with 35 million gods in Hinduism, including a cow, monkey, elephant, rat, snake, a female figure with 10 arms and 8 legs etc.

It starts with the first human that walked on earth - and that's the God of Adam and Abraham.
This is way before Hindu gods came on the scene.
You're just drowning in your own religious culture.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:00 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,520,894 times
Quote:
It starts with the first human that walked on earth - and that's the God of Adam and Abraham.
This is way before Hindu gods came on the scene.
Odin created the first man to walk the Earth from a piece of driftwood that beached on the shore of an ocean made up of the blood of the slain giant, Ymir.

So obviously Odin is older than your god who is just some Johnny-come-lately invented by a desert people famous for their bad sense of direction. Love the corned beef on rye, though.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:20 PM

7,664 posts, read 3,836,474 times
The Sumerians had the first written language 6,000 year ago, so they had the first god. In fact, most Bible stories were lifted from them. They worshiped the Annunaki, who were supposedly from outer space.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The Sumerians had the first written language 6,000 year ago, so they had the first god. In fact, most Bible stories were lifted from them. They worshiped the Annunaki, who were supposedly from outer space.
I think the point of the OP, though, is which god will "survive"...those gods generally aren't still worshiped.

Odin, OTOH, is making at least something of a comeback! (Per the post before yours...)

And I've already put in my vote for a VERY active, very large CURRENT group of gods (with their boiled-down point once one gets closer to enlightenment as not being separate at all, but just separate facets of ONE) currently worshiped, and which predate the Abrahamic god at least as a monotheistic god and not as part of a pantheon - but even still, probably predating that pantheon in any sort of official way.

As far as either of those as their "evolution" into what is currently believed of them, still it's the Hindus, sorry.

I'm not Hindu, I just find this discussion interesting, especially as it was supposed to be rhetorical, but actual facts and history got in the way.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:30 PM

7,664 posts, read 3,836,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I think the point of the OP, though, is which god will "survive"...those gods generally aren't still worshiped.

Odin, OTOH, is making at least something of a comeback! (Per the post before yours...)

And I've already put in my vote for a VERY active, very large CURRENT group of gods (with their boiled-down point once one gets closer to enlightenment as not being separate at all, but just separate facets of ONE) currently worshiped, and which predate the Abrahamic god at least as a monotheistic god and not as part of a pantheon - but even still, probably predating that pantheon in any sort of official way.

As far as either of those as their "evolution" into what is currently believed of them, still it's the Hindus, sorry.

I'm not Hindu, I just find this discussion interesting, especially as it was supposed to be rhetorical, but actual facts and history got in the way.
The Annunaki are still worshiped by some of the Sumerian ancestors, so they have survived the longest as a god.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The Annunaki are still worshiped by some of the Sumerian ancestors, so they have survived the longest as a god.
The...who...what?

Current people? Worship these aliens? I mean...these ancestors are hanging around today and worshiping these beings? Do you mean as like a neo thing? Because in that case I don't know...we have LOADS of "neo" everything...not sure that's an actual continuation, technically.

But okay, if so, then they're a contender...let me look up verifiable Sumerian text (on tablets, I'm assuming?) v. verifiable Hindu texts.

If it's a "yes" then we now have these contenders in chronological order starting with the most ancient:

1. Annukai alien thingies
2. Hindu pantheon
3. Yahweh as a War god in the pre-Hebrew polytheistic pantheon (questionable as very few, if any, worship Yahweh currently in this form)
4. Yahweh/God as a single god (monotheism)
5. Odin (may be unfairly slanted as "newest" due to there not really being verifiable text about him before a certain time period)

May the best god win!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or