U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 09:05 PM

6,369 posts, read 3,177,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
The...who...what?

Current people? Worship these aliens? I mean...these ancestors are hanging around today and worshiping these beings? Do you mean as like a neo thing? Because in that case I don't know...we have LOADS of "neo" everything...not sure that's an actual continuation, technically.

But okay, if so, then they're a contender...let me look up verifiable Sumerian text (on tablets, I'm assuming?) v. verifiable Hindu texts.

If it's a "yes" then we now have these contenders in chronological order starting with the most ancient:

1. Annukai alien thingies
2. Hindu pantheon
3. Yahweh as a War god in the pre-Hebrew polytheistic pantheon (questionable as very few, if any, worship Yahweh currently in this form)
4. Yahweh/God as a single god (monotheism)
5. Odin (may be unfairly slanted as "newest" due to there not really being verifiable text about him before a certain time period)

May the best god win!
The Sumerians have the oldest known written language.

Sumerian language, language isolate and the oldest written language in existence. First attested about 3100 bc in southern Mesopotamia, it flourished during the 3rd millennium bc.

Sumerian language | Britannica.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 09:06 PM

4,893 posts, read 2,156,398 times
A quick look on google gives Hinduism as the oldest known religion.

I also found this;
Quote:
It's hard to tell how much the Enuma Elish rewrote earlier Sumerian mythology to prioritize Marduk (the god of Babylon) as the true king, but it seems likely that at least the idea of Abzu and Tiamat birthing the gods and leading to generations of gods like Anu, Enlil, the Annunaki, etc. is about that old.
And while I was googling I found who God's father is. That's referring to Yahweh the god of the ancient Israelites.
Quote:
WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS ABOUT YAHWEH

The Bible tells us that Yahweh was a son of El. In chapter 2 of Deuteronomy, God the most high (“El ‘Aliyon” in the Hebrew version) divided the nations into their inheritance giving Jacob’s descendants to the “Lord” (Yahweh in the Hebrew version). The translators of the King James version obviously tried to smooth that one over so as to disguise the polytheistic nature of early Israelite religion, but in the Hebrew version it is obvious that “Yahweh” (the “Lord”) is subservient to “El ‘Aliyon” (God the most high).

Old 01-28-2018, 09:10 PM

21,533 posts, read 21,892,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The Sumerians have the oldest known written language.

Sumerian language, language isolate and the oldest written language in existence. First attested about 3100 bc in southern Mesopotamia, it flourished during the 3rd millennium bc.

Sumerian language | Britannica.com
Yes. I get that. Thank you, fifth grade History with Mr. B. (Fun class. We actually did cuneiform on little clay slabs.)

The idea of this thread is extant gods as far as currently being worshiped.

The point is not which civilization has the oldest known written language.

The reason I mentioned verifiable texts was not to verify that there WERE any texts at all, in general, among a specific people, but rather, that they should be texts describing the god/gods/religion (since that's the point of this thread). Again, please remember that they must connect to an EXISTING worshiped entity...per the apparent rules of the contest.

All this STILL leaves "the !!! ONE TRUE !!!" god in only third place at best, of course, but I mean we have have some sort of uniformity or else anyone can say anything about how old "their" god is. "He existed from the beginning of time" is a common, entirely unverifiable, semi-silly claim, for example...in about a zillion different religions.

Last edited by JerZ; 01-28-2018 at 09:19 PM..

Old 01-28-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
How weird, deja vu.

Also oldest widely followed current (extant) religion per this "god contest" thread.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:

And while I was googling I found who God's father is. That's referring to Yahweh the god of the ancient Israelites.
Now this is a fun fact.

We're still including him in the Ultimate God Contest but I'm not sure it's fair to include him in this particular incarnation since the insistence is on "the ONE TRUE God" (caps seem to be required) when it comes to Yahweh. But eh, why not, throw 'im in.

Ready, get set...god!

Old 01-28-2018, 10:24 PM

3,063 posts, read 988,515 times
Quote:
Oldest "known" doesn't necessarily mean it is actually the oldest.

For example, What about Gobleki Tepe?

Old 01-28-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Oldest "known" doesn't necessarily mean it is actually the oldest.

For example, What about Gobleki Tepe?
Aah. Now you gone done thrown a spanner in the works.

Gobekli Tepe is dated at some 10,000 years old, way before the creation. Oops!

Old 01-28-2018, 10:54 PM

3,063 posts, read 988,515 times
Quote:
Aah. Now you gone done thrown a spanner in the works.

Gobekli Tepe is dated at some 10,000 years old, way before the creation. Oops!
way before creation? May be that's a Christian based belief that puts a time stamp on the creation - not my faith.

But the point remains the same - whoever the gods of Gobleki Tepe were, they are long forgotten.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Now this is a fun fact.
There is so much to be learnt here on this subforum.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:51 PM

13,864 posts, read 15,116,452 times
Quote:
5. Odin (may be unfairly slanted as "newest" due to there not really being verifiable text about him before a certain time period)
Odin is thought to actually be one of the youngest (newest) gods incorporated into to the pan-Germanic pantheon.

Although he is commonly refered to at the 'Father" of the Gods and a figure in the recorded creation myth which I alluded to earlier in the thread, two other gods, Ullr and Tyr, are thought to have previously held that role.

Euhemeristically, scholars believe that the Odin archetype was introduced with the advent of a new or foreign ruling class that rose to power at some point, usurping the position of chief god of the previous ruling cult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality