U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Higher Power Poll
Do not believe in a higher power, thus, have none. 15 44.12%
Believe there's something, not sure what. 5 14.71%
Bible believer here, the God of the Bible's mine. 10 29.41%
Religious belief, not strictly the Bible, is where my higher power comes from. 4 11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-31-2018, 04:19 AM
 
10,207 posts, read 7,304,785 times
Reputation: 17906

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Ok, but no need to consider a higher power in that case, right?

If Reiki was effective, wouldn’t we have clinical, double blind studies confirming this? Why don’t we? My conclusion based on the lack of evidence of efficacy is that Reiki simply doesn’t do anything.
Right! And in that vein, our bodies are wondrous producers of energy to perform all kinds of functions. Higher power aside, it's hard to dispute that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2018, 04:20 AM
 
10,207 posts, read 7,304,785 times
Reputation: 17906
The question here is whether people have a higher power or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2018, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,070 posts, read 8,454,209 times
Reputation: 6000
OK I'm not clear on what exactly you're fishing for, either. You said, you were wondering if someone without a higher power would be interested in "this work" which evidently is reiki. Since unbelief in deities does not preclude interest or belief in things that are not deities, it is possible to find atheists / agnostics who are interested in such things as reiki. However -- if their unbelief is a considered unbelief, it's likely to be that way because they are skeptics and empiricists, which means they're apt to be skeptical of New Age woo like reiki as well.

My wife is what I'd term a mostly unconsidered atheist, she isn't much of a philosophical contemplator. She just has always thought theism to be silly and unsupportable. She's very open to various things however and was thinking of seeing a local Reiki practitioner, though she ultimately decided against it. She has actually tried acupuncture, chiropractic, and similar things. She has found none of them helpful, and I'm sure she'd tell you that if these things "work", it's some combination of placebo effect, emotional effects, suggestion, confirmation bias, etc. It's clear they "do" "something" because people pay enough money to support practitioners, but that doesn't serve to validate them so much as to confirm that people believe what they want to believe.

I tend to be more actively resistant to such things than my wife; the only one on that list that I've pursued is chiropractic and I see that as mildly helpful, barely worth the $$ and effort, similar to a good massage. I think the emphasis on correcting imbalances of body alignments makes some sense and probably helps a few percentage points at times -- provided you avoid the lazy ones who don't want to manhandle people and use those thumper devices that don't actually do a blasted thing. The best chiro I ever went to had pursued neurological training and certification above and beyond the requirements of his field, and had a far broader understanding of physiology than most chiros in my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2018, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Buffalo, NY
595 posts, read 326,806 times
Reputation: 854
Don't believe in higher power; am interested in this discussion of reiki because, well, these sorts of social phenomena are interesting. Had never heard of it until now.

'Reiki (霊気) (/ˈreɪkiː/) is a form of alternative medicine developed in 1922 by Japanese Buddhist Mikao Usui.[1][2] Since originating in Japan, Reiki has been adapted into varying cultural traditions across the world. Reiki practitioners use a technique called palm healing or hands-on healing through which a "universal energy" is allegedly transferred through the palms of the practitioner to the patient in order to encourage emotional or physical healing.

Reiki is pseudoscience.[1] It is based on qi ("chi"), which practitioners say is a universal life force, although there is no empirical evidence that such a life force exists.[3][4] Clinical research has not shown Reiki to be effective as a medical treatment for any medical condition.[3] The American Cancer Society,[5] Cancer Research UK,[6] and the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health[7] state that Reiki should not be a replacement for conventional treatment.'

I'm sure it's effective for 'emotional healing' for some, as many things are. A good massage can provide 'emotional healing'. The fact that multiple cancer organizations were compelled to issue statements about it, though, is kind of alarming/laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2018, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,070 posts, read 8,454,209 times
Reputation: 6000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcnkwcz View Post
I'm sure it's effective for 'emotional healing' for some, as many things are. A good massage can provide 'emotional healing'. The fact that multiple cancer organizations were compelled to issue statements about it, though, is kind of alarming/laughable.
Yeah that pretty well summarizes my attitude towards these things -- they can be incidentally helpful but also potentially dangerous if you trust them for serious illness when you should be pursuing something more likely to actually help.

I'm not too proud to have my mind tricked into helping make me better but these kinds of techniques pretty much bounce off me when I have delved into them at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 09:30 PM
 
9,696 posts, read 13,592,656 times
Reputation: 10494
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
The question here is whether people have a higher power or not.

Define "higher power" please. I am lost in what you keep referring to. First I thought you referring to some divine type entity providing energy for all. Now you say "People have higher power"?

P D Uspenskiy had very tough stance on people with over grown imagination. He coined word "imagione" for them. Every time, after short this or that, like you did, when they will start feeling "kundalini rising", he'll shake his head and say "imagione, imagione".
Don't know who Uspenskiy was? He was Gurdjiev's best student. Don't know who Gurdjiev was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2018, 06:04 AM
 
10,207 posts, read 7,304,785 times
Reputation: 17906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Define "higher power" please. I am lost in what you keep referring to. First I thought you referring to some divine type entity providing energy for all. Now you say "People have higher power"?

P D Uspenskiy had very tough stance on people with over grown imagination. He coined word "imagione" for them. Every time, after short this or that, like you did, when they will start feeling "kundalini rising", he'll shake his head and say "imagione, imagione".
Don't know who Uspenskiy was? He was Gurdjiev's best student. Don't know who Gurdjiev was?
Here, let me Google that for you. (You're welcome.)
Let Me Google That
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2018, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Under Moon & Star
1,435 posts, read 502,113 times
Reputation: 8047
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Here, let me Google that for you. (You're welcome.)
Let Me Google That
Your evasion underscores the poster's point. And doubly so.

First, you concede that you can't define it by punting to a search engine. Second, your evasive "Ask Google!" tactic just provides us with a bunch of sources which essentially concede that the term is hopelessly vague and has no meaning beyond what any individual happens to think it means (which invariably is also what they want it to mean).

PS - The issue isn't Google. If someone asks what the GDP of France was in 1983, or how much rain falls in Miami in a typical year, then Google is very useful, and pointing someone there is then appropriate. But 'higher power' is like 'meaning of life' or 'true contentedness'. Google is useless in such matters. As the person asking the question, it is incumbent upon you to provide some sort of structure to your vague query. You can refuse, but that pretty much makes your question pointless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2018, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,070 posts, read 8,454,209 times
Reputation: 6000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
But 'higher power' is like 'meaning of life' or 'true contentedness'. Google is useless in such matters.
Well if what you're after is a summary of various truth claims it's useful. But yes, if you're after an objective, substantiated definition ... or even a strong consensus definition ... it's not going to help.

You're correct in admonishing the poster because when there is no reasonably objective or at least intersubjective definition for a term it's critical to define how YOU are using it or you can very easily talk right past someone else using the same words who in fact has in mind something quite different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2018, 05:31 PM
 
10,372 posts, read 4,045,544 times
Reputation: 1186
well, its clear that we are part of a larger more complex system. if we are 'alive" in a 66 liter volume and the the universe is more complex than what does that make it?

I don't do god, but the three letters g,o,d don't freak me out as much as it does the more adolescent brained adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:09 AM.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top