U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 11:17 AM

1,823 posts, read 595,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
They make these cool little devices known as "ear plugs". Check them out!
Ignorant advice.

Fix the problem - instead of putting band aids on the Titanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 11:26 AM

5,082 posts, read 1,254,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
I have been attending a lovely, Spirit-led AG church now for nearly four years. I have been running their sound for a good part of that time, but lately I feel that the volume level has gotten out of hand.

They recently installed a digital audio console that is largely set and forget, but even when I was running the sound the levels they demanded from me, lately, bordered on the painful to listen to.

This is unfortunate because my wife and I both go there, and feel that we are growing in God together. The Pastor, in his mid-sixties, is very down to Earth and isn't afraid to preach the good and bad in the Bible, so that we have a good grasp of God's word.

I have even considered going back to the 'pipe organ' Lutheran I grew up in(I'm not really a fan of rock n roll worship song), but everyone I've talked to says it isn't a good idea for spouses to attend separate churches, even Christian ones.
I'm just going to guess that it's a large church, right?

Personally, I prefer a smaller to midsize church. I know everyone, they know me. I know my pastor, he knows me.

Along with that, the music is loud enough, but it doesn't blow everyone's eardrums out. It's not about a show.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
They make these cool little devices known as "ear plugs". Check them out!
Why should a guy wear ear plugs to church?

Old 01-31-2018, 11:37 AM

3,414 posts, read 1,180,558 times
I can relate. My wife and I have attended what was once billed as an "old fashioned" fundamentalist Baptist church for 14 years now. In 70 years, there has only been 3 Pastors! We were attracted to the stability, friendliness, and Bible preaching. In the past few years, the church has really grown. We now have 2000 members, and a new and beautiful sanctuary. The music has really changed, however- from a mix of old hymns and contemporary Christian music to now having a "praise band" that hurts my ears! They are very loud, and the songs are 7-11, meaning singing the same 7 words over and over again! Despite wonderful voices in our chior- the emphasis is now on loud worship music from the praise band. The music overshadows the singing. It is no longer "old fashioned", and I'm afraid we may be going in the wrong direction. I don't mind some modern music, but not ear splitting. We left our last church due to the worship music basically taking over the service. They did away with the chior, and had a big band in there that took up more time than the sermon. Worship and entertainment are not the same thing.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:12 PM

14,070 posts, read 8,483,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I can relate. My wife and I have attended what was once billed as an "old fashioned" fundamentalist Baptist church for 14 years now. In 70 years, there has only been 3 Pastors! We were attracted to the stability, friendliness, and Bible preaching. In the past few years, the church has really grown. We now have 2000 members, and a new and beautiful sanctuary. The music has really changed, however- from a mix of old hymns and contemporary Christian music to now having a "praise band" that hurts my ears! They are very loud, and the songs are 7-11, meaning singing the same 7 words over and over again! Despite wonderful voices in our chior- the emphasis is now on loud worship music from the praise band. The music overshadows the singing. It is no longer "old fashioned", and I'm afraid we may be going in the wrong direction. I don't mind some modern music, but not ear splitting. We left our last church due to the worship music basically taking over the service. They did away with the chior, and had a big band in there that took up more time than the sermon. Worship and entertainment are not the same thing.
It may be that this is a trend then. Choirs require volunteers, usually a larger number than a praise band, they require practice (one gets the impression that praise anthems just require you to know a half dozen cords and have a basic amount of rhythmic ability). Three or four people who mostly have to show up for the service and strum the same chords probably is easier by an order of magnitude than ginning up a choir.

Organs require organists, which often have to be paid. Pipe organs cost a small fortune to maintain even if you already have one; digital organs cost a small fortune to purchase, install and voice. Often, neither is done right, or at all. And that style is no longer universal or even expected for liturgical music. Traditional organ and choral music is, increasingly, for wealthy, well-endowed congregations. Praise bands just require a few youngsters with guitars and drums. The other alternative is maybe traditional hymns and gospel songs with piano accompaniment which I'm guessing that young people find boring.

Given all this, I suppose happy-clappy is an understandable trend.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:45 PM

1,823 posts, read 595,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'm just going to guess that it's a large church, right?

Personally, I prefer a smaller to midsize church. I know everyone, they know me. I know my pastor, he knows me.

Along with that, the music is loud enough, but it doesn't blow everyone's eardrums out. It's not about a show.
In post #18 I did a pretty good job of laying out the approx. size of both my current church and the one I grew up in. My current one is very small, maximum rated capacity 110 people. Current avg Sunday attendance about 1/3 to 1/2 of that.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
In post #18 I did a pretty good job of laying out the approx. size of both my current church and the one I grew up in. My current one is very small, maximum rated capacity 110 people. Current avg Sunday attendance about 1/3 to 1/2 of that.
Sorry....didn't see that post.

Just my PERSONAL experience....the bigger churches tend to have louder music, the laser light show, smoke machines, etc.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:28 PM

8,986 posts, read 7,130,944 times
Quote:
More importantly, what do I do to bring sane volume back to the worship portion of Sunday service?
Go sit out in the congregation and listen from different areas. Then talk it over with the appropriate people.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:27 PM

7,652 posts, read 3,358,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
What is worship music? Is that what they call that horrible religious faux rock music crap? I would trade a lifetime in hell for one weekend of listening to that stuff. It is so bad it is like self parody. Like when Pat Boone did covers of rock songs.
Sad to see atheists harbor such deep resentment against Christianity that they have to unfairly label anything as crap if it is Christian. A lifetime in hell really? Let's see if you consider this to be horrible "faux rock". Speaking from a purely musical perspective, their songwriting is outstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HY2_-5VqdA

Old 01-31-2018, 03:56 PM

2,278 posts, read 686,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Sad to see atheists harbor such deep resentment against Christianity that they have to unfairly label anything as crap if it is Christian. A lifetime in hell really? Let's see if you consider this to be horrible "faux rock". Speaking from a purely musical perspective, their songwriting is outstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HY2_-5VqdA
Please point out where I said anything about Christianity? I was mocking the super cheesy amateur hour music from all creeds and denominations.

If you play worship music backwards do you still receive hidden messages from Satan?

BTW, that video you posted does not help your case one bit. It sounds like something from the long awaited Winger or Warrant comeback album. That music went out of style about 3 decades ago.

Thanks for answering my question though. Worship music is that horrible 80s hair band style crap with super cheesy lyrics.

Last edited by shorman; 01-31-2018 at 04:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality