U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 04:46 PM

1,820 posts, read 587,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Please point out where I said anything about Christianity? I was mocking the super cheesy amateur hour music from all creeds and denominations.

If you play worship music backwards do you still receive hidden messages from Satan?

BTW, that video you posted does not help your case one bit. It sounds like something from the long awaited Winger or Warrant comeback album. That music went out of style about 3 decades ago.

Thanks for answering my question though. Worship music is that horrible 80s hair band style crap with super cheesy lyrics.
I'm not a committed fan of 'rock n roll' worship myself, but I can tolerate it as long as it is not too loud or goes on for up to an hour - as it did with another Evangelical I attended years ago. They got so 'caught up in the spirit' that they repeated the final verse and refrain FOUR TIMES! I so tired standing I was yawning by the time the sermon was delivered. So embarrassing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 08:07 PM

7,621 posts, read 3,338,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Please point out where I said anything about Christianity? I was mocking the super cheesy amateur hour music from all creeds and denominations.

If you play worship music backwards do you still receive hidden messages from Satan?

BTW, that video you posted does not help your case one bit. It sounds like something from the long awaited Winger or Warrant comeback album. That music went out of style about 3 decades ago.

Thanks for answering my question though. Worship music is that horrible 80s hair band style crap with super cheesy lyrics.
Not surprised one bit that you would take a dump on Theocracy only because they are Christian. It's progressive metal by the way. The changing patterns and multi layering with each pass of the verse is part of the genre. Not that comparing them to Winger is anything bad. Reb Beach is regarded as one of the finest guitarists in the world, and Kip Winger has branched into creating classical music. Calling them crap is just wrong, imo.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:20 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,167,710 times
Do like I did. Download a sound meter app on your phone. Measure the decibel level in church while the music is playing. See that it is above 85 decibels, which is not recommended without hearing protection. Find another church, repeat the test, and don't stop til you find one below 85 dB. I value my hearing and my families hearing.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:52 PM

7,513 posts, read 7,383,276 times
Well, since you posted this in the general forum rather than the Christianity sub, I will take the opportunit6 to suggest you stop going to church. Not only will you not have to worry about loud music, you will have extra time in your hands.

That would be a win:win from my point of view.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Well, since you posted this in the general forum rather than the Christianity sub, I will take the opportunit6 to suggest you stop going to church. Not only will you not have to worry about loud music, you will have extra time in your hands.

That would be a win:win from my point of view.

Your solution is not much more thought out than "wear earplugs" a few replies back. And as far as where I posted this is concerned, I'm sure that this volume/loudness problem is not limited to Christian houses of worship.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:43 AM

3,661 posts, read 1,352,455 times
Wearing earplugs is a dumb recommendation. It doesn't solve the root of the issue. What's next, say you should hand out earplugs for all attendees? How about fixing the matter instead of throwing bandaids on it?

Old 02-01-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Wearing earplugs is a dumb recommendation. It doesn't solve the root of the issue. What's next, say you should hand out earplugs for all attendees? How about fixing the matter instead of throwing bandaids on it?
Thank you!

Same goes for secular rock concerts as well. If you need earplugs and you're way back/up in the cheap seats, something is wrong.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:54 PM

4,864 posts, read 4,566,256 times
Hank Hill had something to say on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TsL0DO-c1E

Old 02-01-2018, 04:47 PM

9,709 posts, read 13,602,104 times
Jesus:

5And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their reward. 6But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not babble on like pagans, for they think that by their many words they will be heard.

Catholic Church:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM-AEllYhdE

Modern American Church:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9BaI1hjjas

Old 02-01-2018, 04:49 PM

9,709 posts, read 13,602,104 times
Btw, your "inner room" is not a room in your house. It is your INNER SPACE. Then, you shut the door behind, you shut the world from you. THEN you pray and THAT prayer WILL be heard as it is coming from the true Self. Not from timpani and noises on the stage or in audience. Prayer is deep deep personal affair, not entertaining show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality