U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-03-2018, 10:48 AM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
6,895 posts, read 4,298,435 times
Reputation: 1155

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
true fundy reading and thinking. You atheist have so much more in common with fundamental Christianity then you even realize.
A liberal understanding of an evil story is still an acceptance of an evil story, you just don't do the same thing to the "non-fundamentalist" readings of the pagan stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2018, 11:14 AM
 
292 posts, read 260,711 times
Reputation: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Nah. The Op's views are quite rational. He's quite right about the Garden of Eden story being rigged. That was clearly a malicious act of evil. Just creating the tree of knowledge in the first place, then putting the innocents there and TELLING them about the tree .... ! Such a set up. Only a wicked being would do such a thing, and then, to add insult to injury, he blames the innocents!
Don't forget that Adam and Eve basically had infantile minds, and ZERO experience in dealing with
anything bad or evil, and they were put up against a =MASTERMIND= that managed to get a third of humanity to follow him* (if you believe the 1st Earth age bit).

Guess who would be the winner in this situation?

*this also raised another issue with me: If God is so perfect, loving, and all that, why
would so many people and even some of the angels choose to follow Satan? Things that make you go hmmm.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2018, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
15,547 posts, read 6,999,363 times
Reputation: 1603
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Nah. The Op's views are quite rational. He's quite right about the Garden of Eden story being rigged. That was clearly a malicious act of evil. Just creating the tree of knowledge in the first place, then putting the innocents there and TELLING them about the tree .... ! Such a set up. Only a wicked being would do such a thing, and then, to add insult to injury, he blames the innocents!
Nor was I talking about OPs views. I was talking about the people who claimed such irrational behavior on the part of God. They had some serious issues.


News flash: that stuff was not written BY God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2018, 05:02 PM
 
25,357 posts, read 24,151,643 times
Reputation: 23759
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Nor was I talking about OPs views. I was talking about the people who claimed such irrational behavior on the part of God. They had some serious issues.


News flash: that stuff was not written BY God.
Which means none of the Bible is to be trusted as accurate ? Since each of its books is considered to be a lesson inspired by God and a lesson to follow but as you say, none were written BY God?

I see no irrationality in seeing murderous and extreme behavior, particularly toward helpless creatures with literally no escape, as possibly being due to some sort of insanity or other. Actually, that would seem pretty logical - the one following the other. All the OP brings to the table to add to this is the "why" behind such a creature going insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2018, 06:26 PM
 
37,496 posts, read 25,232,088 times
Reputation: 5854
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Nor was I talking about OPs views. I was talking about the people who claimed such irrational behavior on the part of God. They had some serious issues.
News flash: that stuff was not written BY God.
Amen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Which means none of the Bible is to be trusted as accurate? Since each of its books is considered to be a lesson inspired by God and a lesson to follow but as you say, none were written BY God?
Non-sequitur. This all or nothing nonsense is classic fundamentalist think. Humans are flawed and fallible beings. They receive INSPIRATIONS (not dictation ) from God and use their existing knowledge, beliefs, and superstitions to interpret them. It would be extraordinarily unusual for them to be accurate. That does NOT mean the original inspirations were flawed. It means the human receivers were flawed and influenced by their lack of knowledge, superstitions, primitive beliefs, values, and savagery.
Quote:
I see no irrationality in seeing murderous and extreme behavior, particularly toward helpless creatures with literally no escape, as possibly being due to some sort of insanity or other. Actually, that would seem pretty logical - the one following the other. All the OP brings to the table to add to this is the "why" behind such a creature going insane.
You are predisposed to assign these misguided attributes to God rather than the primitive savages who came up with them because you do not want to credit the existence of God. It is easier to reject such a barbaric depiction of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2018, 07:33 PM
 
9,821 posts, read 13,900,796 times
Reputation: 10708
God didn't do it. Yep.

  1. In Genesis 7:21-23, God drowns the entire population of the earth: men, women, children, fetuses, and animals.
  2. In Exodus 12:29, God the baby-killer slaughters all Egyptian firstborn children and cattle because their king was stubborn.
  3. In Numbers 16:41-49, the Israelites complain that God is killing too many of them. So, God sends a plague that kills 14,000 more of them.
  4. In 1 Samuel 6:19, God kills 50,000 men for peeking into the ark of the covenant.
  5. In Numbers 31:7-18, the Israelites kill all the Midianites except for the virgins, whom they are allowed to rape as spoils of war.
  6. In 2 Kings 2:23-24, some kids tease the prophet Elisha, and God sends bears to dismember them.
  7. GE 19:26 God personally sees to it that Lot's wife is turned to a pillar of salt (for having looked behind her while fleeing the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah).
  8. GE 38:9 "... whenever he lay with his brother's wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from producing offspring for his brother. What he did was wicked ..., so the Lord put him to death."
  9. EX 7:1, 14, 9:14-16, 10:1-2, 11:7 The purpose of the devastation that God brings to the Egyptians is as follows:
    to show that he is Lord;
    to show that there is none like him in all the earth;
    to show his great power;
    to cause his name to be declared throughout the earth;
  10. LE 26:22 "I will also send wild beasts among you, which shall rob you of your children."
  11. NU 11:33 The Lord smites the people with a great plague.
  12. NU 16:27-33 The Lord causes the earth to open and swallow up the men and their households (including wives and children) because the men had been rebellious.
  13. NU 16:49 A plague from the Lord kills 14,700 people.
  14. JG 14:19 The Spirit of the Lord comes upon a man and causes him to slay thirty men.
  15. IS 49:26 The Lord will cause the oppressors of the Israelite's to eat their own flesh and to become drunk on their own blood as with wine.
And so on

Note: In the Bible, words having to do with killing significantly outnumber words having to do with love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2018, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
15,547 posts, read 6,999,363 times
Reputation: 1603
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
God didn't do it. Yep.
......
Note: In the Bible, words having to do with killing significantly outnumber words having to do with love.
Who was it that wrote this again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2018, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
5,509 posts, read 2,591,975 times
Reputation: 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Who was it that wrote this again?
Same people who declared the existence of this same god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2018, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
15,547 posts, read 6,999,363 times
Reputation: 1603
"people." right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2018, 07:11 AM
 
25,357 posts, read 24,151,643 times
Reputation: 23759
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen!
Non-sequitur. This all or nothing nonsense is classic fundamentalist think. Humans are flawed and fallible beings. They receive INSPIRATIONS (not dictation ) from God and use their existing knowledge, beliefs, and superstitions to interpret them. It would be extraordinarily unusual for them to be accurate. That does NOT mean the original inspirations were flawed. It means the human receivers were flawed and influenced by their lack of knowledge, superstitions, primitive beliefs, values, and savagery.
You are predisposed to assign these misguided attributes to God rather than the primitive savages who came up with them because you do not want to credit the existence of God. It is easier to reject such a barbaric depiction of God.
No, I'm not predisposed to anything in this regard. I am not Christian, Jewish or Muslim.

My point went right over your head, Mystic. I actually DON'T believe these stories are anything more than the given society's attitude, and based on that, their interpretation as to what a God would do, and why.

As to your belief that that doesn't mean it is all hooey, well, actually, with this basis, there is, equally, no reason not to believe it is all hooey either, sorry. This sort of thinking is why people cherry pick the Bible. Yet the parts they personally want to believe ARE the "truth." Come on now.

The Bible is basically a textual Rorschach test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top