U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2018, 07:47 AM

9,496 posts, read 3,599,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
true fundy reading and thinking. You atheist have so much more in common with fundamental Christianity then you even realize.
yes yes yes. you hit a nerve ... its gona blow .....

I have been repeatedly posting this notion since I realized that many atheists do not think of atheism like i do. it happen in 2005 ish with a guy named OG. I realized, after applying the scientific method to 'religion is the cause", that personalities express beliefs. beliefs do not express personalities.

The true base axiom is irrational people have irrational beliefs.

That is a more valid base axiom than "religion causes irrational". Its certainly more valid than tran's and mord's deny everything and any science that makes our job harder in leading people away from irrational beliefs. they are as dishonest, broken brained, short sighted as any literal bible thumper I know.

irrational people have irrational beliefs
rational people have rational beliefs
irrational people will behave irrationally
rational people will behave rationally

irrational people side with people based on team colors on a t-shirt and not what the individual claims are.
the "if you accept one you must accept all claims" is foolish to anybody but personality disorders (like cluster-b's)

they are the most valid base axiom to form an opinion.

Its not a debate,
its not a personal preference,
its not subjective.
Its the best foundation we have.

its a lesson.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 08:21 AM

13,986 posts, read 6,284,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
No, I'm not predisposed to anything in this regard. I am not Christian, Jewish or Muslim.

My point went right over your head, Mystic. I actually DON'T believe these stories are anything more than the given society's attitude, and based on that, their interpretation as to what a God would do, and why.

As to your belief that that doesn't mean it is all hooey, well, actually, with this basis, there is, equally, no reason not to believe it is all hooey either, sorry. This sort of thinking is why people cherry pick the Bible. Yet the parts they personally want to believe ARE the "truth." Come on now.

The Bible is basically a textual Rorschach test.
And here is where you expose your failure to grasp the point. People are not accepting the "parts" as authority, they are accepting them as valid expressions of a truth they have validated by other means and give those expressions AS places where the variety of expressions is actually correct. You are so linked into the idea of accepting any part of a book as authority that you can't even see that it does not NEED to be.

You have no idea what Mystic meant by exploring "the spiritual fossil record" and finding a thread of meaning that matched his experience.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:09 AM

22,732 posts, read 22,504,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And here is where you expose your failure to grasp the point. People are not accepting the "parts" as authority, they are accepting them as valid expressions of a truth they have validated by other means and give those expressions AS places where the variety of expressions is actually correct. You are so linked into the idea of accepting any part of a book as authority that you can't even see that it does not NEED to be.

You have no idea what Mystic meant by exploring "the spiritual fossil record" and finding a thread of meaning that matched his experience.
I've been here a bazillion years. I do know what Mystic means by "exploring the spiritual fossil record."

And one can validate one's truth in many, many ways, including religions that are not Judeo-Christian, and ways that are not technically a "known" religion at all. Mystic himself with his supposed revelations, should know or at least believe this above all.

Why lean on the Bible as the big "It" if it only validates what one already believes without it, yet only in pieces, with the rest being called the sadistic and masochistic ratings of savages?

Hmmm.

To get back on topic, the idea in the OP is as relevant and as potentially a "validation" as any other. It's pretty fascinating, really. And there is no reason to decide that a god having anthropomorphic mental or psychological qualities is a from-savages fantasy v. the truth, BTW. There is zero to support that assumption.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:48 AM

11,507 posts, read 12,424,544 times
Quote:
...The Bible is basically a textual Rorschach test.
It is. JerZ is right about that. Religion teaches this as well. Holy book is a mirror into the heart. What a person "sees" there in the book is a reflection of what is in his own heart.

Put another way "it is an elixir of life or a potion of death" depending on what a person carries in their heart.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:51 AM

24,621 posts, read 12,902,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
It is. JerZ is right about that. Religion teaches this as well. Holy book is a mirror into the heart. What a person "sees" there is a reflection of what is in his own heart.

Put another way "it is an elixir of life or a potion of death" depending on what a person carries in their heart.
Great insight, T...

Old 02-04-2018, 03:16 PM

13,986 posts, read 6,284,055 times
Quote:
I've been here a bazillion years. I do know what Mystic means by "exploring the spiritual fossil record."

And one can validate one's truth in many, many ways, including religions that are not Judeo-Christian, and ways that are not technically a "known" religion at all. Mystic himself with his supposed revelations, should know or at least believe this above all.

Why lean on the Bible as the big "It" if it only validates what one already believes without it, yet only in pieces, with the rest being called the sadistic and masochistic ratings of savages?

Hmmm.

To get back on topic, the idea in the OP is as relevant and as potentially a "validation" as any other. It's pretty fascinating, really. And there is no reason to decide that a god having anthropomorphic mental or psychological qualities is a from-savages fantasy v. the truth, BTW. There is zero to support that assumption.
And the point you STILL don't seem to get is that NOBODY is "leaning." They are presenting an expression they consider true, NOT because of where it is recorded, but because it fits their perceptions.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:

The Bible is basically a textual Rorschach test.
yup. all malacie god or all loving god. literally true or literally false. Those statements expose the brain state instanasily.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:54 PM

292 posts, read 219,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yup. all malacie god or all loving god. literally true or literally false. Those statements expose the brain state instanasily.
I am going to try to break all of this deep philosophical crap that is making my eyes glaze over and just say this:

If the Bible is so good, why are people slaughtering each other over it?
If Yahweh is so good why are people killing in it's name because what it commanded?
Good entities should not be causing people to murder each other!

Therefore the CHARACTER (not "God" - CHARACTER) Yahweh is evil and insane. Bottom line.

I hope we won't see a repeat of the wholesale slaughter in a thousand years that the Abrahamic religions caused due to the recent "Jedi religion" garbage that is getting more and more popular.

(It's very possible that the ones who began the Abrahamic religions thought that they were just having fun too, then more people joined in and contributed, and before anyone knew it, it spiraled way out of control)

Old 02-04-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkingBlythe View Post
I am going to try to break all of this deep philosophical crap that is making my eyes glaze over and just say this:

If the Bible is so good, why are people slaughtering each other over it?
If Yahweh is so good why are people killing in it's name because what it commanded?
Good entities should not be causing people to murder each other!

Therefore the CHARACTER (not "God" - CHARACTER) Yahweh is evil and insane. Bottom line.

I hope we won't see a repeat of the wholesale slaughter in a thousand years that the Abrahamic religions caused due to the recent "Jedi religion" garbage that is getting more and more popular.

(It's very possible that the ones who began the Abrahamic religions thought that they were just having fun too, then more people joined in and contributed, and before anyone knew it, it spiraled way out of control)
bottom line, this post proves my point.

the more likely possibility is that the regular middle of the roader understood their place, as best they could back then, and some less connected brain state came along and screwed the pooch. just like we see today with fundy theists and fundy atheist. a silly lot, if they weren't so dangerous to freedom everywhere they might even be cute.

god and god'ss character has nothing to do with it.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:51 PM

15,983 posts, read 7,556,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
bottom line, this post proves my point.

the more likely possibility is that the regular middle of the roader understood their place, as best they could back then, and some less connected brain state came along and screwed the pooch. just like we see today with fundy theists and fundy atheist. a silly lot, if they weren't so dangerous to freedom everywhere they might even be cute.

god and god'ss character has nothing to do with it.
Now where have I heard that lately?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or