Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 06:22 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times

Advertisements

We know a family and the parents are Buddhist, one adult child is a Christian and the other adult child has no religion.

What does no religion mean?
They have not yet chosen one or they are not interested in having one at all under any circumstance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 07:52 PM

234 posts, read 162,039 times
you'd have to ask them.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:25 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
When I say "I have no religion" it's my way of saying that I do not believe in any of them. For some people, it could mean that they're undecided. It depends on the person.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:35 PM

50,790 posts, read 24,297,543 times
To the OP, jrpuff is correct. There is not one answer to the question. You'd have to ask them...not that it would be any of your business unless you are particularly close to them.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:00 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
We know a family and the parents are Buddhist, one adult child is a Christian and the other adult child has no religion.

They have not yet chosen one or they are not interested in having one at all under any circumstance.
As others have said, it's an individual thing.

They might be entirely indifferent and even ignorant about religion; they might have arrived at a very considered opinion; or anything in between. People have all sorts of reasons for believing things.

More generically however someone who does not practice a religion is usually labeled in surveys as a "None". The rapid increase in people with no religious affiliation is a phenomenon that has been labeled "the rise of the Nones". A "None" might be a theist (believer in god) of some sort, or they might disbelieve in all gods (atheist). My guess is that most of them are nominal believers in some sort of general god concept who are turned off or bored by / indifferent to religion for various reasons. Such believers can be cursory or quite devout in their faith practice, but are iconoclastic "roll your own belief" types, or practice some form of traditional religion, such as Christianity, while avoiding any official affiliation. In other words they hold their faith privately and see no value in a larger faith community. They prefer to figure it out for themselves.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:42 PM

2,049 posts, read 1,065,895 times
Quote:

I believe that Buddhism meets with Christianity in many points
Most importantly, the two do not consider war and fighting their missionary means
They believe in freedom of choice
I believe that countries where democracy and freedom are the cause of this diversity even within the same family
In countries governed by the laws of war and war, you will not be able to see this diversity
This is caused by the teachings of fear and terrorism
You can note this from your study to each case if you want to look deeper

Old 02-05-2018, 05:14 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,916,882 times
Quote:

It means they did not believe Jesus who speaks to 7 congregations in revelation( occurring now) proving he is with one religion( 1Cor 1:10)--there are only 34,000 to look at and choose. I don't think a lifetime is enough to look through all that confusion. God gave all the key for free---This is my son, the beloved in whom I am well pleased--LISTEN TO HIM.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:16 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahasn sawresho View Post
I believe that Buddhism meets with Christianity in many points
Most importantly, the two do not consider war and fighting their missionary means
They believe in freedom of choice
I believe that countries where democracy and freedom are the cause of this diversity even within the same family
In countries governed by the laws of war and war, you will not be able to see this diversity
This is caused by the teachings of fear and terrorism
You can note this from your study to each case if you want to look deeper
Quite correct. This is of course the superficial attraction of authoritarianism. It produce an impressive -looking appearance of unity and determination. And don't ask me to explain why everyone is terrified - even those supposedly in control, and yet they are under the illusion that they love the brute at the top.

Yes, the wrangling, delays disagreement and apparent confusion in the free and democratic countries does not look very impressive to those outside or even those within, who are so often attracted to the idea of a firm one party ruler who will Get Things Done without anyone making a lot of objections.

It looks a better option, but it isn't. Really, it isn't.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 02-05-2018 at 05:57 AM..

Old 02-05-2018, 02:24 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
I have no religion.
I acknowledge them all. That's it. They are all right, in each its own way and, serve some purpose, or they won't be.
No one really says, "I chose sun" or " I chose river" or " I chose cosmos". Those are simply things that are. Undisputabale, unquestionable, to be explored to possibilities available.
Same is my stand on religions. They are what they are, part of existence. I choose none.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:42 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,051 times
Quote:

What did they say when you asked them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality