Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 07:53 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times

Advertisements

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ter/306234002/

Why does ANYONE still think the pope (I refuse to capitalize that word) is so holy and worthy of reverence?

From the article [my italics], QUOTE:

"'Cardinal O'Malley called me after the pope's visit here in Philadelphia and he told me, among other things, that he had given the letter to the pope — in his hands,' [Cruz, the alleged abuse victim] said in an interview at his home Sunday. Neither the Vatican nor O'Malley responded to multiple requests for comment."

[SNIP]

"One could argue that Francis didn’t pay attention to Cruz’s letter, since he receives thousands of letters every day from faithful around the world. He can’t possibly read them all, much less remember the contents years later. He might have been tired and confused after a weeklong trip to South America when he told an airborne press conference that victims never came forward to accuse Barros of cover-up.

"But this was not an ordinary letter, nor were the circumstances under which it arrived in the Vatican.

"Francis had named O’Malley, the archbishop of Boston, to head his Commission for the Protection of Minors based on his credibility in having helped clean up the mess in Boston after the U.S. sex abuse scandal exploded there in 2002. The commission gathered outside experts to advise the church on protecting children from pedophiles and educating church personnel about preventing abuse and cover-ups.

"The four commission members who were on a special subcommittee dedicated to survivors had flown to Rome at their own expense specifically to speak with O’Malley about the Barros appointment and to deliver Cruz’s letter..”

[SNIP]

[END QUOTE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 09:30 AM

11,096 posts, read 7,154,662 times
He's just a man, as flawed as the rest of us. But in a position of high responsibility and authority, he will be judged much more strongly when he stumbles.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:20 AM

19,997 posts, read 13,475,998 times
It's just the same old story, chapter 227. Catholic church covers up another sex scandal at the highest levels. *yawn*

Old 02-08-2018, 06:18 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
This <bleep> would rather go to prison than report child abuse!

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...-in-confession

Last edited by mensaguy; 02-08-2018 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: Please don't make me bleep things out.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:19 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Everything is relative. I bet this pope now regrets his error in this case. I bet at least one if not more of the most recent previous popes would not be contrite about such an error. Legacy Christian institutions are overwhelmingly corrupt at their core, as indicated by the post right above this one, so glimmers of "less corrupt" are shining beacons of hope by comparison.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:56 AM

19,997 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Everything is relative. I bet this pope now regrets his error in this case. I bet at least one if not more of the most recent previous popes would not be contrite about such an error. Legacy Christian institutions are overwhelmingly corrupt at their core, as indicated by the post right above this one, so glimmers of "less corrupt" are shining beacons of hope by comparison.
"We takes hope where we can finds it."

This is relatively hopeful in the same way that the fact I woke up this morning to not see millions dying (yet) in a war on the Korean peninsula is hopeful. Our standards have gotten so low, we have to take off our socks to see.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:29 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
More shame!

Forgiven By Church: Pedophile Priest With HIV Who Raped 30 Children

Old 02-09-2018, 08:54 AM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
It is the church's job to forgive any sin for which any person truly repents, regardless of how disgusting the sins are.
It is the government's job to prosecute and hand out punishments for crimes.

The two entities should not be working together.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:58 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The two entities should not be working together.
Every entity and citizen should provide authorities with any and all information about crimes for which relevant information comes into their possession.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:17 PM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Every entity and citizen should provide authorities with any and all information about crimes for which relevant information comes into their possession.
I understand that point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality