U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM

6,183 posts, read 3,860,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
GRANDPA

Come over to the Sports section and let us debate their. People there are a lot friendlier and do not take themselves quite so seriously. We have lively debates without nastiness and namecalling, and more than that we have fun.
We can debate anything you want over there.
I agree, granpa, if you want an emotionally healthy debate I would stay away from arguing deeply about existential topics. If, however, you want an intellectually healthy debate, then

Illinois State University, intellectual wellness

says
Quote:
Debate an issue with a friend, but choose the viewpoint opposite the one you hold.
Sounds tricky, right? That’s the point! Focusing attention on information that is different than your beliefs can improve intellectual wellness. Naturally, we tend to only focus our attention on opinions, beliefs, and facts that hold true to our viewpoints. When you expose the mind to opposing ideas, it expands the mind to grasp new information.
This means:
1. Find a friendly partner that is sympathetic towards you, as a person.
2. Think outside the box, not in the Ivory Tower. Maybe play devil's advocate, maybe play seeker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:08 AM

30,788 posts, read 6,638,029 times
Sounds good to me. Debate things that don't matter all that much. I put five years on my life debating in the comments section of an Amazon CD review whether Bruckner's 9th should have a finale or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality