U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-10-2018, 12:45 PM
 
Location: So. Cal.
302 posts, read 95,731 times
Reputation: 191

Advertisements

Since there is no Hinduism forum, I will put this ancient text translation here.

It is very large and very profound. It recounts the teachings that the Rishi Vasishta gave to the young Avatar Rama, long ago. Rama was repelled by ordinary life and saw little meaning in it. So Vasishta taught him why that was true and how to know the true nature of humans and the universe.

HOME – TABLE OF CONTENTS BOOKWISE YOGA VASISHTA – INTERLINKED WEB VERSION – 32,000 VERSES

Quote:
Yoga Vasishta is the record of how young Rama, the avatar of God Vishnu, attained Self realization through the teaching of the sage Vasishta. Over the course of twenty-two days, Rama asked questions and Vasishta answered, lectured, and told stories. All this took place before the assembled court of Rama’s father, King Dasharata, and numerous sages, gods, nobles and brahmin priests. The book is attributed to sage Valmiki, the same person who wrote the epic history of Rama, the Ramayana, which events take place after those in Yoga Vasishta. The essence of the philosophy in Yoga Vasishta is that creation is not a separate existence from God but a reflection of God. God is consciousness and there is nothing material anywhere. Each individual is consciousness, ultimately the same indivisible Divine Consciousness, and not any physical body.
Dip into this ocean of wisdom and see how you respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2018, 01:11 PM
 
2,827 posts, read 1,599,853 times
Reputation: 983
I have no idea why they don't. Cool!

Quote:
The essence of the philosophy in Yoga Vasishta is that creation is not a separate existence from God but a reflection of God. God is consciousness and there is nothing material anywhere.
I think I agree with this idea. I'm syncretic, and so the idea of Body of Christ/Holy Spirit overlaps with Atman/Paramatman theology and kami in Shintoism. All of these are basically saying the same thing, that creation is part of Creator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2018, 01:45 PM
 
Location: So. Cal.
302 posts, read 95,731 times
Reputation: 191
Here is a little more on the keynote of the text as seen by B.L. Atreya, who pioneered modern study of the teachings:

Quote:
A little reflection, says Vasistha, on the nature of our knowledge and experience, will reveal that the plurality and variety perceived in the world have behind them an all comprehending and all embracing Unity. Action and reaction between things presupposes identity behind them. Two things, having no common substance immanent in both, cannot be related, either as cause and effect, or as subject and object. The perception of things around us, therefore, leads us to monism.

The fact of our knowledge further presupposes that the object of our knowledge cannot but be a modification of consciousness itself, i.e., an idea. For, knowledge can have for its object only that which is homogeneous in nature with it.

All objects, therefore, along with the perceiving subject, are ideas in our mind and nothing outside and beyond the mind. These considerations lead us not to Monism alone, but to Idealistic Monism, namely, that there is One Reality, Consciousness or Mind, which is both the subject and the object and the relation of knowledge between them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2018, 10:01 PM
 
Location: So. Cal.
302 posts, read 95,731 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
59 It is said there are four guards who keep watch at the gate of liberation (moksha), namely: peace (equanimity, self-control), judgment (spirit of inquiry), contentment, and company of the good.
60 All these, or three or two of them, are to be attended with care because they shall open the door leading to the abode of liberation.
61 At least one of them is to be sought with diligence, even at the expense of one’s life. Because by securing one of these a man can reconcile and gain all four.
Yoga Vasishta of Valmiki, II 11:59-61
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:15 AM
 
98 posts, read 21,621 times
Reputation: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Since there is no Hinduism forum, I will put this ancient text translation here.

It is very large and very profound. It recounts the teachings that the Rishi Vasishta gave to the young Avatar Rama, long ago. Rama was repelled by ordinary life and saw little meaning in it. So Vasishta taught him why that was true and how to know the true nature of humans and the universe.

HOME – TABLE OF CONTENTS BOOKWISE YOGA VASISHTA – INTERLINKED WEB VERSION – 32,000 VERSES



Dip into this ocean of wisdom and see how you respond.
I have read Valmiki's Ramayana, many years ago. I didn't know there was a prequel, which I will follow up.
Many thanks for the info.

Last edited by JaiSea; Yesterday at 03:15 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:27 AM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
6,188 posts, read 3,868,731 times
Reputation: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Here is a little more on the keynote of the text as seen by B.L. Atreya, who pioneered modern study of the teachings:

Quote:
A little reflection, says Vasistha, on the nature of our knowledge and experience, will reveal that the plurality and variety perceived in the world have behind them an all comprehending and all embracing Unity. Action and reaction between things presupposes identity behind them. Two things, having no common substance immanent in both, cannot be related, either as cause and effect, or as subject and object. The perception of things around us, therefore, leads us to monism.

The fact of our knowledge further presupposes that the object of our knowledge cannot but be a modification of consciousness itself, i.e., an idea. For, knowledge can have for its object only that which is homogeneous in nature with it.

All objects, therefore, along with the perceiving subject, are ideas in our mind and nothing outside and beyond the mind. These considerations lead us not to Monism alone, but to Idealistic Monism, namely, that there is One Reality, Consciousness or Mind, which is both the subject and the object and the relation of knowledge between them.
Well, at least it's a better-structured argument than most Ontological arguments proposed by Abrahamists. But, now that we understand a little bit about the brain, we know that "Knowledge" has for its "homogeneous object" merely a reflection of a "real objective" as imagined in the mind.

Our ideas/imaginations/thoughts/perceptions are not merely "created" in there ex-nihilo. Nor are they necessarily created by a Greater Mind outside-- for the mind within the Mind.

If our own minds are supposed to need an explanation, then an even greater mind would need an even greater explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:48 AM
 
Location: So. Cal.
302 posts, read 95,731 times
Reputation: 191
A summary of the work by B.L. Atreya; lectures III, IV & V are philosophical & metaphysical.

https://archive.org/details/Yogavasi...losophy_201709
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:20 AM
 
30,849 posts, read 6,690,571 times
Reputation: 4390
Thank you for that. As you say there is no Hinduism section. We get Hindu input but not often enough to merit a forum. So by all means, start you thread here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top