U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 11:45 AM

353 posts, read 148,421 times

Advertisements

Since there is no Hinduism forum, I will put this ancient text translation here.

It is very large and very profound. It recounts the teachings that the Rishi Vasishta gave to the young Avatar Rama, long ago. Rama was repelled by ordinary life and saw little meaning in it. So Vasishta taught him why that was true and how to know the true nature of humans and the universe.

HOME – TABLE OF CONTENTS BOOKWISE YOGA VASISHTA – INTERLINKED WEB VERSION – 32,000 VERSES

Quote:
Yoga Vasishta is the record of how young Rama, the avatar of God Vishnu, attained Self realization through the teaching of the sage Vasishta. Over the course of twenty-two days, Rama asked questions and Vasishta answered, lectured, and told stories. All this took place before the assembled court of Rama’s father, King Dasharata, and numerous sages, gods, nobles and brahmin priests. The book is attributed to sage Valmiki, the same person who wrote the epic history of Rama, the Ramayana, which events take place after those in Yoga Vasishta. The essence of the philosophy in Yoga Vasishta is that creation is not a separate existence from God but a reflection of God. God is consciousness and there is nothing material anywhere. Each individual is consciousness, ultimately the same indivisible Divine Consciousness, and not any physical body.
Dip into this ocean of wisdom and see how you respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 12:11 PM

2,827 posts, read 1,753,306 times
I have no idea why they don't. Cool!

Quote:
The essence of the philosophy in Yoga Vasishta is that creation is not a separate existence from God but a reflection of God. God is consciousness and there is nothing material anywhere.
I think I agree with this idea. I'm syncretic, and so the idea of Body of Christ/Holy Spirit overlaps with Atman/Paramatman theology and kami in Shintoism. All of these are basically saying the same thing, that creation is part of Creator.

Old 02-10-2018, 12:45 PM

Here is a little more on the keynote of the text as seen by B.L. Atreya, who pioneered modern study of the teachings:

Quote:
A little reflection, says Vasistha, on the nature of our knowledge and experience, will reveal that the plurality and variety perceived in the world have behind them an all comprehending and all embracing Unity. Action and reaction between things presupposes identity behind them. Two things, having no common substance immanent in both, cannot be related, either as cause and effect, or as subject and object. The perception of things around us, therefore, leads us to monism.

The fact of our knowledge further presupposes that the object of our knowledge cannot but be a modification of consciousness itself, i.e., an idea. For, knowledge can have for its object only that which is homogeneous in nature with it.

All objects, therefore, along with the perceiving subject, are ideas in our mind and nothing outside and beyond the mind. These considerations lead us not to Monism alone, but to Idealistic Monism, namely, that there is One Reality, Consciousness or Mind, which is both the subject and the object and the relation of knowledge between them.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
59 It is said there are four guards who keep watch at the gate of liberation (moksha), namely: peace (equanimity, self-control), judgment (spirit of inquiry), contentment, and company of the good.
60 All these, or three or two of them, are to be attended with care because they shall open the door leading to the abode of liberation.
61 At least one of them is to be sought with diligence, even at the expense of one’s life. Because by securing one of these a man can reconcile and gain all four.
Yoga Vasishta of Valmiki, II 11:59-61

Old 02-11-2018, 02:15 AM

103 posts, read 27,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Since there is no Hinduism forum, I will put this ancient text translation here.

It is very large and very profound. It recounts the teachings that the Rishi Vasishta gave to the young Avatar Rama, long ago. Rama was repelled by ordinary life and saw little meaning in it. So Vasishta taught him why that was true and how to know the true nature of humans and the universe.

HOME – TABLE OF CONTENTS BOOKWISE YOGA VASISHTA – INTERLINKED WEB VERSION – 32,000 VERSES

Dip into this ocean of wisdom and see how you respond.
I have read Valmiki's Ramayana, many years ago. I didn't know there was a prequel, which I will follow up.
Many thanks for the info.

Last edited by JaiSea; 02-11-2018 at 02:15 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 02-11-2018, 11:27 PM

6,885 posts, read 4,294,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Here is a little more on the keynote of the text as seen by B.L. Atreya, who pioneered modern study of the teachings:

Quote:
A little reflection, says Vasistha, on the nature of our knowledge and experience, will reveal that the plurality and variety perceived in the world have behind them an all comprehending and all embracing Unity. Action and reaction between things presupposes identity behind them. Two things, having no common substance immanent in both, cannot be related, either as cause and effect, or as subject and object. The perception of things around us, therefore, leads us to monism.

The fact of our knowledge further presupposes that the object of our knowledge cannot but be a modification of consciousness itself, i.e., an idea. For, knowledge can have for its object only that which is homogeneous in nature with it.

All objects, therefore, along with the perceiving subject, are ideas in our mind and nothing outside and beyond the mind. These considerations lead us not to Monism alone, but to Idealistic Monism, namely, that there is One Reality, Consciousness or Mind, which is both the subject and the object and the relation of knowledge between them.
Well, at least it's a better-structured argument than most Ontological arguments proposed by Abrahamists. But, now that we understand a little bit about the brain, we know that "Knowledge" has for its "homogeneous object" merely a reflection of a "real objective" as imagined in the mind.

Our ideas/imaginations/thoughts/perceptions are not merely "created" in there ex-nihilo. Nor are they necessarily created by a Greater Mind outside-- for the mind within the Mind.

If our own minds are supposed to need an explanation, then an even greater mind would need an even greater explanation.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:48 AM

A summary of the work by B.L. Atreya; lectures III, IV & V are philosophical & metaphysical.

https://archive.org/details/Yogavasi...losophy_201709

Old 02-12-2018, 09:20 AM

34,435 posts, read 8,865,664 times
Thank you for that. As you say there is no Hinduism section. We get Hindu input but not often enough to merit a forum. So by all means, start you thread here.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:50 AM

The first step in young Rama's Path toward Liberation is disgust with worldly life; here is some of his thinking:

Quote:
3 Since I was born in this my father’s palace, I have remained here, grown up, and received my education.
4 Then, O leader of sages, desiring to learn good customs, I set out to travel to holy places all over this sea-surrounded earth.
5 By this time, a series of reflections arose in my mind that shook my confidence in worldly objects. 6 I employed my mind
to discriminate the nature of things, which gradually led me to discard all thoughts of sensual enjoyments.

7 What are worldly pleasures good for, and why do men multiply on earth? Men are born to die, and
they die to be born again. 8 There is no stability in the tendencies of beings whether movable or
immovable. They all tend to vice, decay and danger, and all our possessions become the grounds of our poverty.

9 All objects of sense are detached from each other like iron rods from one another. It is only
imagination which attaches them to our minds. 10 It is the mind that pictures the existence of the world
as a reality, but if we know the deceptiveness of the mind, we are safe from such deception. 11 If the
world is an unreality, it is a pity that ignorant men should be allured by it, like deer tempted by a
distant mirage of water. 12 We are sold by none, yet we are enslaved to the world. Knowing this well,
we are spell-bound with riches, as if by a magic wand. 13 What are the enjoyments in this essence but misery?
Yet we are foolishly caught in its thoughts, like bees caught in honey.

14 Ah! After long, I perceive that we have insensibly fallen into errors, like senseless stags falling into
pits in the wilderness. 15 Of what use is royalty and these enjoyments to me? What am I and where
do all these things come from? They are only vanities. Let them continue as such without any good or
loss to anybody. 16 Reasoning in this manner, O holy brahmin, I came to be disgusted with the world,
like a traveler in a desert.
Section 1, chapter 12

Old 03-10-2018, 10:55 AM

Having developed a firm non-attachment to worldly life Rama then asks his Guru Vasistha for advice on achieving Liberation. The first keynote is self-reliance:

Quote:
II 4 O Rama, listen to what I [Vasistha] am about to say, which instruction is sure
to remove the darkness of ignorance. A well-sustained self-effort leads to success in
every field of life. Wherever one encounters failure, it is due to lack of self-effort.

Liberation produces selflessness; we lose our selfishness when we come to know the
unity of the soul. By effort one can attain knowledge which leads to salvation. This
is obvious; but what is called God, destiny or fate is fictitious and is not seen. The
dull and the ignorant created God, which is none other than self-effort of a past
incarnation affecting one.

Self-effort, Rama, is that mental, verbal and physical action which is in accordance
with the instructions of a holy person well versed in the scriptures. This will reveal
the moon of spiritual bliss beyond the dark clouds of mental impurities. Such effort,
continuous and constant, gives good results, all the rest is sheer madness. The goal
of self-effort is Self-realization.

It is only by such effort that Indra became king of heaven, that Brahmā became the
creator, and Vishnu and Shiva earned their place. When right self-effort is
sustained, one rises to that lofty state wherein ruling the vast earth is known as
insignificant compared to the glory of Self-realization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality