Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 04:47 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

As I was watching the opening ceremonies of the Olympic Winter Games last night, and seeing the athletes from countries around the world enter the Olympic stadium, I started to think about the Jehovah's Witnesses and got to wondering what their position is on the Olympics. Would a JW athlete be encouraged to try to become an Olympian? Would a JW feel comfortable attending an Olympic event and cheering for athletes who represent his country? I think I know the answers to these questions, but am curious to hear responses from the JWs on this forum.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:39 PM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times
I got in trouble for taking a small time academic award in high school. JW are heavily discouraged from excelling at anything as to do so would bring glory to themselves. I'm not sure what the standing is of Serena Williams within the congregation but I know sports of any type are all but outright forbidden for even high school students. Only "spiritually weak" parents would allow their child to participate.

They are for spiritual unity under Jehovah and would see countries coming together as silliness because only He can bring peace. It would be wrong for them to cheer for someone based on country because that is "worldly" and their allegiance only belongs to God and they show that by obeying His spirit-directed organization The Watchtower. There would not be a prohibition(that I know of) against watching or going. They can't pledge any flag though.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I got in trouble for taking a small time academic award in high school. JW are heavily discouraged from excelling at anything as to do so would bring glory to themselves. I'm not sure what the standing is of Serena Williams within the congregation but I know sports of any type are all but outright forbidden for even high school students. Only "spiritually weak" parents would allow their child to participate.
Wow. To me, that is just plain sad! Strive for mediocrity at all times, huh? I would think that God would want us to excel in any way we could. If He gave us talents, why would He not want us to use them? I've never been one to trash anybody's beliefs, but stuff like this just makes me nuts!

I didn't know Serena Williams was a JW. I guess Venus is too? Well, judging from what you've just said, I wouldn't think they'd be accepted as JWs by the rest of the group, but who knows... maybe exceptions are made in some cases.

Last edited by Katzpur; 02-11-2018 at 11:02 AM..

Old 02-11-2018, 11:25 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:

They are for spiritual unity under Jehovah and would see countries coming together as silliness because only He can bring peace. It would be wrong for them to cheer for someone based on country because that is "worldly" and their allegiance only belongs to God and they show that by obeying His spirit-directed organization The Watchtower. There would not be a prohibition(that I know of) against watching or going. They can't pledge any flag though.
Thanks, as usual L8, for the information. I was not aware of these restrictions. Interesting, and good to know.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:12 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Wow. To me, that is just plain sad! Strive for mediocrity at all times, huh? I would think that God would want us to excel in any way we could. If He gave us talents, why would He not want us to use them? I've never been one to trash anybody's beliefs, but stuff like this just makes me nuts!

I didn't know Serena Williams was a JW. I guess Venus is too? Well, judging from what you've just said, I wouldn't think they'd be accepted as JWs by the rest of the group, but who knows... maybe exceptions are made in some cases.
Their position is simple: be happy with what God gives you, DO NOT TOIL AND SPIN.

To a JW, God doesn't give "talents" he gives "gifts." If you are a good runner, you shouldn't do it to "entertain the secular people" nor to "accomplish something for yourself." I guess they probably think you should be running into burning buildings instead of across fields.

Sports that aren't played for "good fun" but are played for money ("and blood/violence") are not honoring Jesus (a non-sports man, Biblically) in any way; and are only detrimental to a Yahweh-subservient psyche (soul, in their idea). Although I would suppose that they abhor gambling, they don't seem to like "games" or "sports" that aren't left to some degree to chance. I read that they hate chess because of how "competitive" and "non-cooperative" and "dog-eat-dog" it is.

Striving for mediocrity is a good way for false religions to stay in the shadows as they grow like a fungus through "underground" or "down-to-earth" soliciting. Eventually, when it becomes convenient, the Tower will drop its singular support of high birth-rates and low accomplishment rates. This is the technique of many false religions. Of course, top-down religious soliciting has worked higher wonders in the past.

I've known plenty of JWs that celebrate holidays and other not commonly "Tower" things. Does the Tower keep an excommunication list or something? I've never heard of it. Many people are comfortable thinking that merely their Cronyism to Jesus (as they imagine him) will be enough to achieve their and their similarly-minded loved one's immortality. Why bat an eye with what the Tower's theophilosophers think about brushing your teeth or dribbling a ball.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:34 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,914,670 times
Quote:
As I was watching the opening ceremonies of the Olympic Winter Games last night, and seeing the athletes from countries around the world enter the Olympic stadium, I started to think about the Jehovah's Witnesses and got to wondering what their position is on the Olympics. Would a JW athlete be encouraged to try to become an Olympian? Would a JW feel comfortable attending an Olympic event and cheering for athletes who represent his country? I think I know the answers to these questions, but am curious to hear responses from the JWs on this forum.

A true follower = Matthew16:24-- one must disown oneself to follow Jesus. It would take--hours and hours of practice to get that good--leaving kingdom interests in last place--Jesus said those interests must be in first place( Matt 6:33)-- the wise listen to Jesus, I know my teachers do.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
A true follower = Matthew16:24-- one must disown oneself to follow Jesus. It would take--hours and hours of practice to get that good--leaving kingdom interests in last place--Jesus said those interests must be in first place( Matt 6:33)-- the wise listen to Jesus, I know my teachers do.
Well, to each his own, huh? I believe God thinks balance is important, and that He would want us to excel in whatever area He has gifted us with abilities, whether it be in sports, the arts, or a career in medicine or teaching or anything else that benefits mankind. People need to have interests other than preaching the gospel in order to lead the kind of lives I believe God wants us to live. Naturally, I don't expect you to agree.

Last edited by Katzpur; 02-13-2018 at 03:59 PM..

Old 02-13-2018, 04:16 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
Quote:

Well Serena Williams is supposed to be Jehovia Witness and I do remember her after her win she thanked Jehovia.
Yet I believe she faded away from going to Kingdom Halls, and she had a baby out of wedlock. That not acceptable in JW practices. If she continued going to KIngdom Halls then it be a bigger issue for JWs. She is not even a baptised member,
and JWs would not consider her to be a JW. However the JWS would certainly welcome the finances she can bring to the institution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tglTAibExHI

In addition Michael Jackson grew up in a JW home and was JW throughout his life. A way his parents ensured they don't get part of the wrong crowd, their children were forced everyday to sing at home and take singing lessons there and the parents did that in order avoid as much as possible to avoid evil outside influences and keep them occupied. He also stated he was sorry for the release of Thriller song, and at the beginning of the song there is a message stating he does not into the occult or endorses it. Yet a few years later he stopped going to Kingdom hall. A few years after he left the JW, he celebrated his first Christmas after some years of convincing from Elizabeth Taylor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3HEARjO0uUSame with several of his siblings. He did have a JW funeral at the wishes of his JW mother.

In addition Prince was a JW as well. He also attended a KIngdom hall. I guess he was the most devout of all the celebritieshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNJ1s_5PB0U

Last edited by other99; 02-13-2018 at 05:02 PM..

Old 02-13-2018, 09:01 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:

In my experience, only the weakest want equality. The rest of us are comfortable with betters and inferiors.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:24 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:

Not excelling could be the reason why there translations of the Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek are so far off...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality