Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 09:36 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Isaiah 64:6.

There are various Bible editions:

Isaiah 64:6 All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.

It is mainly used by faith alone theology to prove everything we do is unworthy, and is nothing but a "filthy rag" before God.
That's only if you extract that phrase from the context in which it was said and use it for that purpose; i.e., to make it say something it was never intended to mean.

That's exactly what some of us here speak against doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 09:38 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Yes, it is talking about the Jews, but the point the Lord is making is that the works mean nothing if the Lord is not lifted up in them. They weren't worshiping Him. They sinned and disregarded the Lord, and then tried to work their way back in His favor.

The whole context...

Is. 64:6-12
6 For all of us have become like one who is unclean, And all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment; And all of us wither like a leaf, And our iniquities, like the wind, take us away. 7 There is no one who calls on Your name, Who arouses himself to take hold of You; For You have hidden Your face from us And have delivered us into the power of our iniquities. 8 But now, O LORD, You are our Father, We are the clay, and You our potter; And all of us are the work of Your hand. 9 Do not be angry beyond measure, O LORD, Nor remember iniquity forever; Behold, look now, all of us are Your people. 10 Your holy cities have become a wilderness, Zion has become a wilderness, Jerusalem a desolation. 11 Our holy and beautiful house, Where our fathers praised You, Has been burned by fire; And all our precious things have become a ruin. 12 Will You restrain Yourself at these things, O LORD? Will You keep silent and afflict us beyond measure?
That is not the whole context.

What was going on when one of the three authors of Isaiah wrote that? To whom was the author speaking?

Old 03-05-2018, 10:13 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is not the whole context.

What was going on when one of the three authors of Isaiah wrote that? To whom was the author speaking?
You tell me, since you know.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:15 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Why don't YOU?

Old 03-05-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Why don't YOU?
I'll wait for MQ to answer.

She makes a claim and you want me to do the work. I'm not a mind reader on how she interprets things.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:40 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
For many atheists, or so-called work based salvation Christians, we have had to hear this statement on many occasions.
Being a "good person" is simply not good enough apparently, certainly not for an atheist, or a proponent of any other religion.
But simply belief in Christ, and you are "saved".
What do others think of this?
I have been denying the existence of God for more than 50 years. I have been saying things that would have gotten me drawn and quartered only a few centuries ago. And never once has God ever given any indication of being offended by the things I say. I also go through life attempting to do no harm to others. God is very tolerant.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:26 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I'll wait for MQ to answer.

She makes a claim and you want me to do the work. I'm not a mind reader on how she interprets things.
Bullwhoop. Context...ALL of the context is an essential part of studying a passage in the Bible. If you DON'T know it it just means what we suspect in any case; you just mirror the prejudice of the people who use the out of context passage to bolster an agenda.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Bullwhoop. Context...ALL of the context is an essential part of studying a passage in the Bible. If you DON'T know it it just means what we suspect in any case; you just mirror the prejudice of the people who use the out of context passage to bolster an agenda.
I don't know why you bother... you are not adding nothing here except to stir the pot...

I'm sure MQ will answer when she gets a chance.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:37 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,337,787 times
Quote:
For many atheists, or so-called work based salvation Christians, we have had to hear this statement on many occasions.
Being a "good person" is simply not good enough apparently, certainly not for an atheist, or a proponent of any other religion.
But simply belief in Christ, and you are "saved".
What do others think of this?
This is one of my central complaints with the state of the Christian religion and Christians. This belief that you can be an immoral scumbag and still get into heaven just by saying the right magic words and showing hostility to the right people is ridiculous.

As an example. I have no idea how people can read the supposed words of Jesus in the Bible and come up with the idea that he would prefer that they not sell cakes to gay people. It seems like Bible Jesus would make them a cake and hand deliver it to their wedding. Evangelical Jesus hates gays and will punish anyone that doesn't.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
This is one of my central complaints with the state of the Christian religion and Christians. This belief that you can be an immoral scumbag and still get into heaven just by saying the right magic words and showing hostility to the right people is ridiculous.

As an example. I have no idea how people can read the supposed words of Jesus in the Bible and come up with the idea that he would prefer that they not sell cakes to gay people. It seems like Bible Jesus would make them a cake and hand deliver it to their wedding. Evangelical Jesus hates gays and will punish anyone that doesn't.
It's not by saying the right words... it actual real belief and faith in Jesus Christ... and God knows when that occurs. After that, one is spiritually born into His family.

Can one be immoral after that? Yes - but it's not what God wants happen. That person will be judged appropriately for their actions. I don't think it will be a happy entrance into heaven for everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality