Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 10:09 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I had heard about the ~600 (613 by your sources) commandments in the Torah. But I was wondering why the person I was replying to (their pseudonym escapes me atm) had said there was only 10 in the written scripture (maybe thinking Torah or full Tanakh) and ~600 in the oral (which I'm not sure he knew isn't actually oral, but is supposed to be the writings (Talmud) based on oral).

Seems they were indeed wrong, as I had suspected.
All depends on who you ask...

The seven Noahide laws as traditionally enumerated are the following:

Not to worship idols.
Not to curse God.
To establish courts of justice.
Not to commit murder.
Not to commit adultery or sexual immorality.
Not to steal.
Not to eat flesh torn from a living animal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Laws_of_Noah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 10:42 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
All depends on who you ask...

The seven Noahide laws as traditionally enumerated are the following:

Not to worship idols.
Not to curse God.
To establish courts of justice.
Not to commit murder.
Not to commit adultery or sexual immorality.
Not to steal.
Not to eat flesh torn from a living animal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Laws_of_Noah
So then the polytheist-allowing Zoroastrians that were iconoclastic (against statues) would be considered part of the Noahide-law followers. Or would all polytheists be considered "idol worshipers" even without making statues?

Old 03-17-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
So then the polytheist-allowing Zoroastrians that were iconoclastic (against statues) would be considered part of the Noahide-law followers. Or would all polytheists be considered "idol worshipers" even without making statues?
Need I repeat myself?

And if all depends on who you ask, doesn't that tell you all you need to know?

PS: just because someone may act in accordance with laws they may not even be aware of does not necessarily make them "followers."

Old 03-17-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Need I repeat myself?

And if all depends on who you ask, doesn't that tell you all you need to know?

PS: just because someone may act in accordance with laws they may not even be aware of does not necessarily make them "followers."
Of course, I meant "accidental" followers, but that would still make them "in accordance (?)" with the Noahide law, would it not?

Old 03-17-2018, 07:59 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,099,533 times
I remember reading about Lillith in the 1970s. She is usually (correctly) portrayed as a feminist icon for refusing to submit to Adam's sass.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Of course, I meant "accidental" followers, but that would still make them "in accordance (?)" with the Noahide law, would it not?
Yes, as so am I, but that doesn't make me a follower, "accidental" or otherwise...

I also subscribe to the words of Luke 6:31 "Do to others as you would have them do to you," but this doesn't make me a follower of any religion either. Just a notion I happen to agree with, so I do my best to act "in accordance" as a result.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Yes, as so am I, but that doesn't make me a follower, "accidental" or otherwise...

I also subscribe to the words of Luke 6:31 "Do to others as you would have them do to you," but this doesn't make me a follower of any religion either. Just a notion I happen to agree with, so I do my best to act "in accordance" as a result.
"Follower" doesn't mean only one thing. People can "follow" the country's laws and not be in a cult about them (nor even be aware of the laws).

I also understand that people are different and that not everyone should want or deserve to be treated as I would like to be treated. I am my own person and have different needs and likes than many others. But sure: I have to consider this as I would want them to consider it for me. So for me, its about "considering" onto others rather than "doing" onto them.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
"Follower" doesn't mean only one thing. People can "follow" the country's laws and not be in a cult about them (nor even be aware of the laws).

I also understand that people are different and that not everyone should want or deserve to be treated as I would like to be treated. I am my own person and have different needs and likes than many others. But sure: I have to consider this as I would want them to consider it for me. So for me, its about "considering" onto others rather than "doing" onto them.
Seems we're getting into the weeds of semantics and perhaps "comparing notes" about nothing, but I do struggle with the notion of being a "follower" simply because actions are adopted that may be a part of some unrelated law or religion or whatever. Seemed to me you were using the word "follower" in a religious context rather than someone who simply happens to act in the same way as someone else for unrelated reasons.

When I decide to drive at a safe speed, for example, am I "following" the country's laws or simply being safe? If I decide not to take heroin, am I "following" the country's laws or simply deciding to "say no to drugs." If asked why I don't beat my wife, I would not explain to anyone that I don't beat my wife because I follow the country's laws...

Seems you are complicating the gist of Luke 6:31 as well, though of course we are all different. On the other hand, you do consider others more generally speaking and that's plenty good enough for me unless we want to split hairs about the simple notion of simply respecting others and treating them with respect despite our differences. I know that isn't always too easy to do.

Good "chatting" with you in any case. Thanks.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:13 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,310 times
Quote:

Your "intent" for following the 7 Noahide laws does not matter in the calculation of who will receive a portion in the world to come. It's deed, not creed, that matters.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Your "intent" for following the 7 Noahide laws does not matter in the calculation of who will receive a portion in the world to come. It's deed, not creed, that matters.
Good to know, and/or speculate, but again I don't "follow" these laws or rules. I don't beat my wife because of any laws, intent or reward. I simply don't want to hurt my wife (or anyone else for that matter) if I can possibly help it. That's all.

Unless of course we assume my want not to hurt anyone is my intent. That's true, regardless all else...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality