Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2018, 11:21 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yup again. all people that disagree can claim "attack". atheists and theists do it.

Pro scientific method method does not lead to anti-religion. It can't. The numbers don't support anti-religion as a whole.
Speaking of accounting, again what numbers are these that "don't support anti-religion?" Do tell...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
For a guy that lectures others on having the love of Christ, you sure are being judgmental.
There is so much about judgement when it comes to religion, certainly Christianity, it only stands to reason that followers will be judgmental too. If I gave you a Rosary bead for every time I felt a Christian was judging me with respect to my beliefs different from theirs (and not exactly in a positive way), you would have a whole lot of Rosary beads...

Old 03-21-2018, 11:52 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, yes and no. While Mensa may be right about how the expression is used in places, I tend to think that BF may actually BE saying "bless you" as a way of dismissing the comment and denigrating the speaker in the same way that "I'll pray for you" does. Either way it is actually a put down rather than addressing the point directly. I'll bet that avoiding direct responses surprises you in BF, huh?
Nothing V....... I mean he does surprises me, bless his tiny heart.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:45 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
For a guy that lectures others on having the love of Christ, you sure are being judgmental.
Of your actions? Indeed. I'm always hopeful that you will wake up to how they affect you.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:53 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Of your actions? Indeed. I'm always hopeful that you will wake up to how they affect you.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:29 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Ale tends to be better cool (nor 'warm') because its flavors come out.
Yes. Between 5 - 12C. Hawkins liked warm beer too.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:11 AM

22,163 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Speaking of accounting, again what numbers are these that "don't support anti-religion?" Do tell...
Pew research studies show 92% of world population identifies with a religion or prays on their own. (Respectively 84% religion +8% private worship = 92%)

I cant speak for arach but this data may be related

Old 03-22-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Pew research studies show 92% of world population identifies with a religion or prays on their own. (Respectively 84% religion +8% private worship = 92%)

I cant speak for arach but this data may be related
I see. Thanks. I wasn't thinking in terms of these numbers. I thought we were talking about scientific numbers, that were not "anti-religion." AA's full comment was "Pro scientific method does not lead to anti-religion. It can't. The numbers don't support anti-religion as a whole." The above numbers have little to do with the scientific method.

Numbers like these, however, do tell a compelling story that began long before the scientific method was even known. These Pew poll numbers don't prove anything other than the prevalent influence of religion that has been a part of Man's existence going back a good many thousand years now. In similar fashion, what percent of people thought the Sun revolved around the Earth before science was able to prove otherwise? Took a very long time and that was a rather simple discovery all considered...

Also interesting to note, if you ask me, included in your numbers are about 1.6 billion Muslims. Does this prove anything about religion or Islam in terms of what is true? 1.6 billion people is an awful lot of people after all. Do their numbers prove anti-Christianity any more than the over 2 billion Christians prove anti-Islam?

Might be these numbers are more about Man's inclination if not insistence to conjure notions about God wherever there is the absence of knowledge about how our universe was created (if it was created), how life began. Man is not very good at accepting what knowledge we lack but very good at filling in those gaps of knowledge with all manner of what suits him in the meantime. The truth all too often does not suit, as Man has also proven throughout the ages...

Old 03-22-2018, 10:32 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why you reference the idea of a Spanish Bible. Is that all you believe this is? Just a question of translation to the vernacular?

When a Muslim discusses God with a Christian...he/she tends to use the name "Allah". It's a personal name. I get it--it also literally means "God"...but that's only because, in my understanding, a Muslim considers Allah to be a very distant, unreachable God and they would not be given a name OTHER than simply "Allah". The term has become a name. It's what they call him. it identifies the Muslim God. Likewise, you will simply not see a Jew, or a Christian use the name to describe God when speaking English.
My Muslim boss says "Thanks God..." in conversations. He adds the "s" in his Pakistani accent. It's amusing.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:42 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Nothing V....... I mean he does surprises me, bless his tiny heart.

Quote:
Self-examination is too painful for some. Others are intellectually ill-equipped for the task. But your hope speaks well of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality