Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2018, 12:44 PM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Ok lump so the atheist countries vs the non atheist countries and compare.

East Germany vs ?
Soviet Russia vs take your pick
Commie China vs..

Compare those 3 <bleep> to any non atheist country.
Too simplistic and/or not comprehensive enough. Actually a bit off the mark entirely if you ask me...

What happens in different countries has a lot to do with many things including the history of that country, the issues faced by that country, the religions and politics, and how they all blend together to deliver whatever circumstances that exist today. Not sure there really is an "atheist" country. Religion has existed all over the world for a long time, in many different forms, and today religion still exists all over the world, more or less in some countries, different countries with different religions, regardless the government. Thailand, for example, has an interesting mix of monarchy, religion and elections/democracy (throw in a military coup or two). How to judge?

Not really relevant in any case, because whether or not there is a God, or which religion is worthy in terms of what is true, has nothing to do with how one country does vs another or how one religion does vs another. The truth is the truth regardless.

If I were to more seriously consider your point of view, I think I might take into account the countries not on your list that are far less theologically driven (religious) and far more secular (like America). That comparison makes better sense to me, and what does it tell us?

Last edited by mensaguy; 03-28-2018 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 12:56 PM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You're not getting it are you. They are not 'sh*tholes' because they are atheist. They are 'sh*tholes' because of their political ideals.

Compare the sh*thole of the USA to any other developed nation. The USA is the only developed country that executes it's own citizens and the only developed country that has no health care for it's citizens.
Then I read your comment, this too...

The USA has a secular government, for starters. Worth at least a thought. We are considered one of the most wealthy advanced countries in the world, and this is also true for a lot of reasons that don't have all that much to do with religion, maybe even despite religion, but here to this really has little to do with what is true and what is not.

In any case, religion or not, we do have much in the way of areas of improvement to look forward to in this country, if we can better get our act together. A better health care system high on the list. Better medical practice, better research, better medicines, better preventative measures, birth control, etc., more or less likely thanks to science or religion? Just asking...

Old 03-27-2018, 01:31 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Unless I read wrong he said he wished gay bard had signs that say they're gay bars, obviously so he could avoid going in.
Yes. That's pretty much it. Just as a Japanese -only eaterie really should hang up a sign "No Gajins" in order to avoid embarrassment. And do you know, I am not at all offended. I get more offended when I go into a place and am hidden away so the native diners won't have their meals spoiled by the sight of a western face.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
To the person that asked me about Singapore. No, Singapore is not classed as a developed nation. The USA even beats Saudi Arabia for executing it's own citizens.
It isn't? It looked pretty damn' developed to me.
Quote:
You're not getting it are you. They are not 'sh*tholes' because they are atheist. They are 'sh*tholes' because of their political ideals.

Compare the sh*thole of the USA to any other developed nation. The USA is the only developed country that executes it's own citizens and the only developed country that has no health care for it's citizens.
Yes. We have to keep repeating this point. The claim that Hitler was an atheist seems to have been put to bed, at last, but work on 'communism is oppressive because it is Dogma,not because it is atheist' still has to be put in.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Ah, now I better understand. I guess now you know how a woman feels when she only wants a drink but gets approached by men with other things in mind. Could happen to anyone in any bar I think, but normally no big deal unless you are approached by someone who also doesn't understand the "live and let live" sort of respect for others. Including leaving them alone when clear that's what they want.

Can't say I don't appreciate the value of proper labeling in any case. If I want to eat beef, I would appreciate knowing if the restaurant is strictly vegetarian (like my wife). Who hasn't experienced the problem of misunderstanding or being mislead and ending up where not intended or wanted? No biggie I don't think, again as long as no one imposes on your freedom to leave.
Yes. I absolutely do understand the single lady with a thirst being misunderstood. Maybe flower language like in Latin countries. On the right, unavailable, on the left, available, at the back oi the head, desperate.

Of course ladies who are looking to hook up will often go to a bar in pairs, which will screw the whole project as they will be assumed to be lesbians. While the woman with the rose at the back of the head may approach a man at the bar who will then flee.

Or so I have always heard.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I appreciate what seems to be a much better level of understanding conveyed by your comments, about my logic and all the factors and variables that determine what is okay and what is not, difficult to put into one simple statement or comment. Thanks.

We're all human and as such any individual or group can grab someone's ass, impose on the rights of another, nag or coerce others into their way of thinking. Sometimes even silence about wrong-doing makes us guilty of promoting wrong-doing, so it's very hard to claim anyone or any group is all right or all wrong. Best I can do is take each example or circumstance individually, like with respect to religions imposing their beliefs on others who don't share those beliefs, like with respect to gays, for example. That's all...

In the same way, I'm doing my best to take each comment as they come, Mystic disease or not, at least to be understood. If to make a case for my "live and let live philosophy," all the better. I would love that more people adopt that philosophy in earnest, even if we cannot be perfect at succeeding. We should at least try, but first it takes a minimum level of understanding that is apparently nothing to take for granted here.
The person with Mystic's disease is Arach, but as for the rest, rather than loudly denounce (especially for polemic purposes) let us reason together, so as to find solutions, and let us not forget "Elevatorgate" (as it has hopefully called by the Religious apologists, YE Creationists and Christian fundies). And Dawkins attracting more Flak than a highly magnetised Consolidated Liberator by irritably dismissing the incident as unimportant.

Atheism needs women, many more women. Because they are very often highly intelligent, articulate and quick thinking, and thus more devastating to the opposition than an overhead Samurai chop and it doesn't hurt that they are often drop dead gorgeous (1).

Which is a deep but off -topic discussion. Is feminism incompatible with being a man-magnet? In the early days of feminism, I shook my head wryly at a list of Ten Things women should not be allowed to do so as to liberate them, or the suggestion that in order to show how much better women were than men, they should ape their appearance (yes, cloth cap and a briar pipe). Should they not rather be pleased at the collective sucking in of 200 middle-aged male bellies when they appear on stage in a little black number before giving her talk on religious suppression of women?

But being admired is one thing; being Hit On is another. Like I say, a sign saying 'No Honkies' wouldn't offend me but I'd be glad of the heads up (2). So maybe the rose on the left temple ("Available - but not to you") or on the Right "Don't even think about it."

(1) and if you haven't seen Shirina's photo, i have. And ponder that atheism has Rachel Slick; religion has Anne Widdicombe.

(2) yes, I once went with a mate into what was evidently a blacks only bar and while we did not allow ourselves to be rushed over our drinks, the back of our overcoats still bear the scorch -marks of the hostile glares. Mind, this was during "Brixton".

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-27-2018 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: perfection -editing. This is one of my near Shrinian -quality posts,I deem.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:30 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The person with Mystic's disease is Arach, but as for the rest, rather than loudly denounce (especially for polemic purposes) let us reason together, so as to find solutions, and let us not forget "Elevatorgate" (as it has hopefully called by the Religious apologists, YE Creationists and Christian fundies). And Dawkins attracting more Flak than a highly magnetised Consolidated Liberator by irritably dismissing the incident as unimportant.

Atheism needs women, many more women. Because they are very often highly intelligent, articulate and quick thinking, and thus more devastating to the opposition than an overhead Samurai chop and it doesn't hurt that they are often drop dead gorgeous (1).

Which is a deep but off -topic discussion. Is feminism incompatible with being a man-magnet? In the early days of feminism, I shook my head wryly at a list of Ten Things women should not be allowed to do so as to liberate them, or the suggestion that in order to show how much better women were than men, they should ape their appearance (yes, cloth cap and a briar pipe). Should they not rather be pleased at the collective sucking in of 200 middle-aged male bellies when they appear on stage in a little black number before giving her talk on religious suppression of women?

But being admired is one thing; being Hit On is another. Like I say, a sign saying 'No Honkies' wouldn't offend me but I'd be glad of the heads up (2). So maybe the rose on the left temple ("Available - but not to you") or on the Right "Don't even think about it."

(1) and if you haven't seen Shirina's photo, i have. And ponder that atheism has Rachel Slick; religion has Anne Widdicombe.

(2) yes, I once went with a mate into what was evidently a blacks only bar and while we did not allow ourselves to be rushed over our drinks, the back of our overcoats still bear the scorch -marks of the hostile glares. Mind, this was during "Brixton".
I think Matt Slick describes his daughter Rachel as a "pantheist" now.
And talking of atheist women, we have high profile ones like bible scholar and historian Brit Francesca Stavrakopolou, who I saw on TV a couple of years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xVBldyy_Oo

Old 03-28-2018, 01:06 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
I appreciate what seems to be a much better level of understanding conveyed by your comments, about my logic and all the factors and variables that determine what is okay and what is not, difficult to put into one simple statement or comment. Thanks.

We're all human and as such any individual or group can grab someone's ass, impose on the rights of another, nag or coerce others into their way of thinking. Sometimes even silence about wrong-doing makes us guilty of promoting wrong-doing, so it's very hard to claim anyone or any group is all right or all wrong. Best I can do is take each example or circumstance individually, like with respect to religions imposing their beliefs on others who don't share those beliefs, like with respect to gays, for example. That's all...

In the same way, I'm doing my best to take each comment as they come, Mystic disease or not, at least to be understood. If to make a case for my "live and let live philosophy," all the better. I would love that more people adopt that philosophy in earnest, even if we cannot be perfect at succeeding. We should at least try, but first it takes a minimum level of understanding that is apparently nothing to take for granted here.
To Arq, a belief that we should love God and each other every day and repent when we don't is a Mystic disease. It would please me no end if everybody caught the disease. All the inhumanity to humankind would disappear.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
To Arq, a belief that we should love God and each other every day and repent when we don't is a Mystic disease. It would please me no end if everybody caught the disease. All the inhumanity to humankind would disappear.

That is not what I had in mind as what Arach seems to have caught and what Gldrule seems to have expired of. But the symptoms you describe are something I'm glad i took my shots against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
I think Matt Slick describes his daughter Rachel as a "pantheist" now.
And talking of atheist women, we have high profile ones like bible scholar and historian Brit Francesca Stavrakopolou, who I saw on TV a couple of years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xVBldyy_Oo
Could be, though I wouldn't trust Matt Slick to tell me the right time. But she has completely flushed Christianity and the Bible down the Loo, and that's what counts.

And I'd seen that clip before and she is of course articulate, clever (a professor) and a treat to look at. And if she has a somewhat different take on atheism (or just says the same thing in different words) is fine. We are all different; we are all individuals. article 26 of the Atheist Rule -book.

And maybe Jackie has a new vid out.

Ah well, Bad Patch right now.

So here's an old one, but dealing with a Claim that comes up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqkjIqC_H_k

The answer is, nobody can eradicate their instincts, but reason can correct them.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-28-2018 at 03:18 AM..

Old 03-28-2018, 05:13 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,235 times
You're posting demonstrably false nonsense.

Quote:
To the person that asked me about Singapore. No, Singapore is not classed as a developed nation.
Yes. It is.

The UN HDI (Human Development Index) gives Singapore a VERY HIGH HUMAN DEVELOPMENT rating, tied for fifth in the world (with Denmark, after only Norway, Australia, Switzerland and Germany).
http://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/fi...ent_report.pdf

Quote:
The USA even beats Saudi Arabia for executing it's own citizens.
More dishonesty. Though perhaps I should allow that you're just clueless.

In 2017, 23 people were executed in the United States. Saudi Arabia? 130+ (precise numbers are hard to come by, as the government doesn't explicitly announce all capital sentences or executions). So not only is the Kingdom executing 6x as many of its people annually, it has a per capita execution rate over sixty times that of the United States.

https://www.deathpenaltyworldwide.or...y=saudi+arabia

For what it's worth, I oppose capital punishment. On the other hand, I don't suffer from a massive national inferiority complex wherein I am compelled to crap out a litany of falsehoods about other countries. You come from one of the world's great nations. Act like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality