Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2018, 07:56 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Your cement theory is both wrong and simplistic.
plenty of people change their core beliefs.
if they did not they would have the same beliefs they held as a kid.

that you over and over (and over) post the same link to your same "cement theory" seems to show you are not only "proud" of this "idea" of yours, but that you admit it applies to you as well in your own life. So you are saying you have not changed your beliefs since you were a kid. I don't think that's something to be proud of, to brag about, or to even admit to in a public forum. You are saying people don't learn, don't change, don't think, don't re-evaluate, don't restructure their belief systems. Maybe you yourself don't, but plenty of people do. And those of us who do, see how inaccurate and simplistic and shallow your "cement thinking" is.
Not that you're judgmental or anything...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 08:19 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think she is quite right as the evidence on this is clear. People DO change their minds or there would be no deconversions. That is why I never listen to those who say "You can never change people's minds" for a second.

And yet the 'cement' theory (though I think there are better ways of describing or explaining it) is valid in that people have an almost instinctive inclination to defend their views because it affects (as they see it) their credibility (1) and the more the belief is Faith -based, the more cemented it becomes. And when you get a god that thinks exactly the same as you do, that is the most solid of the cement -theories.

(1) I might observe that it actually enhances your credibility as a reasoning thinker (say in science or history) if you say 'That evidence convinces me that I was wrong". It is refusing to change your views in the face of compelling evidence that damages credibility. It is in religion, politics and barroom arguments that it is seen as something to be admired when nothing will ever get someone to change their minds. Except in politics: this is what they pretend to do because it impresses the voters. In fact they'll change their minds instantly if it means being elected.Though that will damage their cred. as the Liberal/Tory alliance and May now working for Brexit.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:22 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
You're posting demonstrably false nonsense.

Yes. It is.

The UN HDI (Human Development Index) gives Singapore a VERY HIGH HUMAN DEVELOPMENT rating, tied for fifth in the world (with Denmark, after only Norway, Australia, Switzerland and Germany).
http://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/fi...ent_report.pdf
http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/ecs/pub/wp/previous/PW2.pdf

See table C here. Singapore is classed as developing not developed.
http://www.un.org/en/development/des...sification.pdf

Last edited by Rafius; 04-04-2018 at 01:30 AM..

Old 04-04-2018, 01:48 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I see that was in 1995. And it was already noted that while Singapore is very advanced, there were questions about Lee Kuan Yew's near one party state.

I don't think there is much to quarrel about as regards Singapore having become as developed as Denmark and Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...elopment_Index

it rates 6.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:04 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I see that was in 1995. And it was already noted that while Singapore is very advanced, there were questions about Lee Kuan Yew's near one party state.
Quite so old sport. There is more to being included on the list of 'developed nations' than having a good GDP and smart office blocks.

Quote:
I don't think there is much to quarrel about as regards Singapore having become as developed as Denmark and Japan.
That's as maybe my dear old coconut but the UN does not consider it to be a 'developed' country but rather a 'developing' country.
http://www.un.org/en/development/des...sification.pdf

There is more to being 'developed' than how rich you are. I mean...look at the USA!! Anyway, my point is that a person that lives in a country that has no health cover for it's citizens and still executes its own citizens should be a little more reticent about referring to other countries as 'sh*tholes'.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:25 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your cement theory is your interpretation of what is known as the gestalt phenomenon. Gestalts are learned perceptions that become unchangeable either over time or through extreme importance or trauma. You can see the effect of this learning here in the forum by trying NOT to see the words and meanings of the typed words. Try to just see meaningless black dots on the white page. You cannot UNSEE the words and meanings yet there was a time when you could BEFORE you learned to read. If you cannot read Hebrew or Chinese, you would have no trouble at all NOT seeing the meanings. THAT is the Gestalt effect (or what you call cement theory). Once you have learned a perception as a Gestalt, you cannot unlearn it or any of the things it evokes in you.
Not so. I didn't know anything about Gestalt Theory when I first came up with my Cement Theory a good many years ago, so my theory could not have been my interpretation thereof. Also, Gestalt Theory has more to do with visual stimulus, grouping of parts to make out the whole even when all the parts are not there. Of course this is also a manner in which to comprehend what we are seeing and/or learning, but not exactly what I am theorizing with respect to core beliefs established and then not typically changed later in life despite facts, reason and logic.

Not being able to unlearn something is similar but not the same as not being able to stop believing something. No doubt, however, there are similarities and some overlap between my theory and Gestalt theory.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Yes, I'd love to hear how you decide what is and is not a core belief.

The bible as the infallible, inerrant Word of God was foundational to my view of life, the universe and everything. If that's not core, what is?
Can we start with an answer to my question? Confirmation. You believed in God before and you still believe in God today.

Yes or no?

Old 04-04-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I didn't think it was that so much as noting that people get ideas and beliefs and invest personal cred in them and fight to keep them intact no matter what anyone says. It is in fact an almost universal human tendency.

It wasn't anything to do with not getting any meanings from letters or symbols if you haven't learned to understand them. And is that really what Gestalt means?

Not really:

Gestalt psychology is an attempt to understand the laws behind the ability to acquire and maintain meaningful perceptions in an apparently chaotic world. The central principle of gestalt psychology is that the mind forms a global whole with self-organizing tendencies. (Wiki)

"Emergence" in a sense. I get it. It is not so much about knowing how to read but the words together conveying a concept.

It is like looking at the stars and knot knowing what they are.

Looking at the stars and knowing what they are.

Knowing what they are and also comprehending the galaxy they form.
Yes. You seem to understand the difference as I do. I also can confirm my theory is not "my interpretation" of another...

Old 04-04-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Your cement theory is both wrong and simplistic.
plenty of people change their core beliefs.
if they did not they would have the same beliefs they held as a kid.

that you over and over (and over) post the same link to your same "cement theory" seems to show you are not only "proud" of this "idea" of yours, but that you admit it applies to you as well in your own life. So you are saying you have not changed your beliefs since you were a kid. I don't think that's something to be proud of, to brag about, or to even admit to in a public forum. You are saying people don't learn, don't change, don't think, don't re-evaluate, don't restructure their belief systems. Maybe you yourself don't, but plenty of people do. And those of us who do, see how inaccurate and simplistic and shallow your "cement thinking" is.
I can tell by the way you address my efforts to explain and justify my theory that your ego is involved. Not sure why, but you also seem to be suggesting my ego is behind my theory as well. Not surprising...

Still, exactly what you write is yet another demonstration of the confusion that remains, even with someone who is not being introduced to my Cement Theory for the first time.

Better understand my theory, and you should know I'm not suggesting we maintain our core beliefs going back to those we "held as a kid." I had a core belief Jesus was the Son of God when I was a kid, and that the Virgin Mary was the mother of Jesus, a virgin. I also had a core belief in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny...

I am also not saying people don't learn, and all this about what I am proud about, brag about, seems to be an attack on your part because not only do you not understand my theory but you don't like what it suggests about how most of us actually do come to develop our core beliefs and then essentially hang onto them later in life despite the facts, reason and logic to the contrary.

I've also explained my theory applies to most people which doesn't mean that "plenty people" don't change their core beliefs. Again, there are most certainly exceptions to the rule! One of my primary points of fact to demonstrate my theory is a simple look at how the major religions of the world are concentrated in different countries of the world. Clearly this demonstrates a correlation with respect to our core beliefs about religion and where we live, not so much proof or truth, reason or logic. At the same time, just because you are born in Thailand does not necessarily mean you will be a Buddhist. Again, of course not! My theory has to do with what generally prevails, not to be confused with always.

I could further explain, but I suspect the confirmation bias problem is particularly acute in your case, and my Cement Theory suggests, especially in the face of emotion rather than objectivity, further effort is all the more like trying to break through cement, but hey..., I am either right or wrong about my theory, and I enjoy exchanging opinion about this with people who are also interested. That's all.

First step, however, begins with understanding the theory.

Last edited by LearnMe; 04-04-2018 at 11:18 AM..

Old 04-04-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Hadn't noticed. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality