Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 03:59 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
No, that's just a theistic straw man. We ask for sound evidence. We know we can not know if some god exists or doesn't. That's why theists always talk about proof, because they need to be that dishonest. Because their evidence is so bad they often argue for an impossible god. Many definitions of 'God' are logically not possible, so we can prove some versions of 'God' do not exist.

Ha, this theistic lie. Yes, evidence will suffice, but it needs to be sound. This is your problem, not ours.

Which means other experienced gods must also exist, and therefore your one and only god can NOT exist.

And if Satan is stopping us from having a 'direct inner experience with God', then you are equally 'screwed'. How do you know your version of your god is also not a lie from Satan?

So not only have you demonstrated your god can NOT exist, you have demonstrated how bad the argument from personal experience is.
I agree re theist pretending to have proof of God, its a cruel joke. Its spiritual Pride, the #1 deadliest sin.

You can know if God exists but you cannot prove it to others. Some concepts of God are logically unsound I agree.

"Which means other experienced gods must also exist, and therefore your one and only god can NOT exist."

You cannot disprove God, the concept is not falsifiable.

"And if Satan is stopping us from having a 'direct inner experience with God', then you are equally 'screwed'. How do you know your version of your god is also not a lie from Satan?"

Good question, the 911 terrorists were convinced Allah was guiding them.
But that doesn't mean there is no way to differentiate, unless you believe there is no way to differentiate between good and evil.

You raised good questions but arrived at wrong conclusions.

God is not falsifiable, I cannot demonstrate my concept of God does not exist even if I wanted to any more than I could prove His existence.

You don't know what my personal experience with God is. I haven't shared it with you.
Contempt prior to investigation keeps a man in everlasting ignorance, he steadfastly denies before even knowing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
The Bryan Melvin NDE is very interesting.
Interesting too that many Evangelicals dismiss NDE's as "unbiblical" anyway, and will often bring up the "false teacher" quote.
Like the bible gives a complete comprehensive guide to the other side?
I watched 5 minutes, it wouldn't convince me of anything but he obviously had some sort of experience. It was not compelling or too interesting.

The Harvard neurosurgeon Eban Alexander on the other hand has a compelling story.
https://youtu.be/sCRwuJoQAZg

Old 03-23-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post

On a side note, let's say there is no God or afterlife/heaven, would that necessarily be a bad thing? ?
On a side note to your side note,
If God does exist, is that a bad thing?
No?

Then why do atheists argue venomously against that existence .

Does it never occur to them that trying to argue for the non existence of what they claim does not exist is not rational.?

Old 03-23-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Ironic thread title (I didn't watch the video yet).

How did she go to heaven when she did not believe in one?
What a person thinks has little to do with their faith.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Why do so many people think that experiences are inherently supernatural?

Today I had the unfortunate experience of burning my tongue with a cup of hot coffee. As far as I know, no supernatural agents were involved.
The experience of burning coffee. The qualia cannot be reduced to neurons and atoms, the subjectivity is non physical. This is called the HARD problem of consciousness, it cannot be explained.

This explains it using your cup of coffee.
https://youtu.be/S0xy_fI54pw

Last edited by jonesg; 03-23-2018 at 05:57 PM..

Old 03-23-2018, 05:17 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,063,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
The Bryan Melvin NDE is very interesting.
Interesting too that many Evangelicals dismiss NDE's as "unbiblical" anyway, and will often bring up the "false teacher" quote.
Like the bible gives a complete comprehensive guide to the other side?
NDE's would be a type of "prophet" and "prophets are not allowed at the end of days, their parents should stab them." Also they've likely been exposed to "now-Catholic" NDExperieces and the like.

I know that if my fundamentalist colleagues walked around the NDE subsection of a book store and they saw "now Catholic" "now fundie Hindu" "now really Mormon" etc, they'd stop believing that NDEs were useful for "what's really important" (at least to them).

Old 03-23-2018, 05:23 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,063,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
The experience of burning coffee. The qualia cannot be reduced to neurons and atoms, the subjectivity is non physical. This is called the HARD problem of consciousness, it cannot be explained.
Yep. It might be something fundamental like quantum qualities.

Hopefully, we will understand it better at some point.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
True. It is impossible, IMO, to have a genuine encounter with the reality of God and the true nature and composition of the universe and NOT come out with a positive and unmistakable impact on your life.
I'd put it more profoundly than that, experiencing a spiritual epiphany by way of direct conscious contact with God is so profound you will never be the same, never be normal again.
The bible characterizes it like this, "he is a new creature".

Old 03-23-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
By the way, I just think it's interesting whenever an alleged atheist has one of these experiences. As far as whether she is on the up and up, I have no way of knowing.
No one can experience anything for you.
You do have a way of knowing though.
Have the experience yourself, although not by near death. There are ways.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:32 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,856,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
No one can experience anything for you.
You do have a way of knowing though.
Have the experience yourself, although not by near death. There are ways.
I agree. Any experience of humility could have the same effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality