Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 11:18 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I enjoy animals more than most humans. They're free of so much b.s. that is common in mankind. We'll probably eventually wipe ourselves out, and they'll carry on just fine afterwards.
Better.

Much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 11:20 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
^ I was going to say that Yeah, they'll be not just fine, but much better off. Back to the topic, I need to bring my tank of sea monkeys to church.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:10 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
But animals are not part of the human kingdom. Animals are here for our use. In some countries Fido & Kitty would be the main course at dinner.
Seriously?

In some cases, humans are dinner for animals.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:12 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
^ I was going to say that Yeah, they'll be not just fine, but much better off. Back to the topic, I need to bring my tank of sea monkeys to church.
You'd be welcome at mine with them, hehehe.

Yes, the other animals and the cockroaches will still be here long after we've all offed one another.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:52 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
But animals are not part of the human kingdom. Animals are here for our use. In some countries Fido & Kitty would be the main course at dinner.
Perhaps, if there is a design to this miserable universe, animals are here to test our compassion and morality.

Because I'm not so sure animals are merely things for humans to use. Anyone who has ever bonded with a pet knows they display all the emotions we do -- up to and including knowing the difference between right and wrong.

They may not be humans, but we're more alike than different. We don't give animals enough credit, in my opinion. Too many seem to think that animals are like little computers carrying out a program we call "instinct." And they are incapable of doing much else. They must follow their programming.

Yet I have seem remarkable intelligence in the pets that I've had -- especially some of them who demonstrated the ability to come up with jaw-dropping solutions to problems, showing problem-solving abilities that could never be attributed to mere instinct.

Not to mention the incredible compassion they so often display. Like when my outdoor cat laid with me for an entire week when I had a bad case of bronchitis -- she never once begged to go out. She'd get up to eat and use the litter box but spent every moment in my bed. As soon as I recovered, off she went into the great outdoors and rarely slept with me.

But hey, I'm not one of those insane PETA people and I eat meat like most people do. Ergo I understand that we do use some animals as a source of food. Just one more way we are more alike with animals than different. But c'mon, no one needs to eat dogs and cats in this day and age -- not unless you are literally starving and that is the *only* food source.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:58 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
As for animals in church -- heh -- back when I was forced to attend church and didn't want to (more because I was a teen and would rather be out with my friends than because of being an atheist -- and I wasn't quite a full-blown atheist then, anyway), I would have loved to see people bringing animals to the Sunday morning service.

Watching the antics of dogs and cats would have been infinitely more interesting than the sermons, the terrible singing, the smell of death on half the congregation, and the searingly uncomfortable straight-backed wooden pews; those pews literally had back support that was 90 degrees perpendicular to the seat, meaning if you didn't have back pain yet, you would before it was all over.

I would've thought it was a laugh riot of a dog started barking and howling during the hymns or a cat slithering away from its owner resulting in a merry chase through the church trying to catch it. THAT would've been worth getting up and dressing like Sweet Miss Innocent for.

Sometimes a little chaos is a good thing, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality