U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:18 PM

249 posts, read 336,722 times
Default Is the Bible an Occult Book.. Are the Stories Symbolic Riddles.. or a History.. ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterBJK View Post
The prophecies and the evidence. In the Bible there is a story of God parting the Red Sea so the Israelites, the people that had faith in Him, could escape from Egypt. The Egyptians attacked through the parted sea and after every Israelite was out of there, God made the sea swallow up the Egyptians. There is a 3 by 11 mile section in the Red Sea where the Israelites crossed where there are Chariot wheels and Chariots and other Egyptian things.
-

As you rightly say.. it’s a story.

But.. are these bible stories.. ancient mythological riddles.. or a physical history.. ?

Could such stories really be symbolic accounts of what was occurring spiritually.. within the dimension of ideas.. meaning.. within the writer’s heart and mind.. ?

After all.. the bible is a spiritual book.. so that makes sense.. doesn't it.. ?

And didn’t Jesus say.. he was speaking in comparisons.. ?

This being the case..

Is the bible then.. an occult book.. ?

And.. God said..

“In a proverbial saying I will open my mouth; I will cause riddles of long ago to bubble forth..” - Psalms 78:2

So.. are the stories in the Bible to be considered as riddles.. ?

Or are they really evidence of the supernatural... ? =:-0

-
“Understand, and mark the parable and the interpretation, the words of the wise and their mysterious sayings; for the wise have used diverse manners of speech in making comparison with everything that is upon the earth, and beneath the sphere of the moon they have multiplied parables in this science.”

Thomas Aquinas
-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 08:20 PM

265 posts, read 391,098 times
oooh noooo....................you don't remember?

it's way too dangerious to forget............!!!!!

they are not stories, or myths. they are TESTIMONIES. there is the old, and then there is the new. biblical testimonials are real affidavits filled with memorials of those of the faith. the bible is a book of REMEMBERANCES of the testimonies of Jesus Christ. the bible from the old to the new books are filled with witnesses who have had their experiences recorded as evidence for those of us who have come behind them. the bible is just one of the credentials, and confirmations of Christ and his followers.

now don't ya go forgetting again. this should help........

Old 03-25-2008, 09:28 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,893,015 times
Since occult means "hidden", I'd say that there are some elements of the Bible that could technically be considered as such-the prophecies in Revelation, for example. I wouldn't consider every book to be such, though (or very much of the Bible). Some parts are histories, some are letters, some poems, some parables, some prophecies. There are very many parts of the Bible that contain very deep meanings, but I wouldn't consider those "occult" per se.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:30 AM

8,132 posts, read 3,615,837 times
I think it's part history, part fiction. But just a book written by humans. Not just one person but many. It could be considered factual but only for it's historical parts not as a whole. It has valuable things in it, lifelessons. The greatest story ever told? Maybe but "story" is the keyword. Like a historical novel..

Old 03-26-2008, 12:41 AM

47,975 posts, read 43,427,781 times
mostly literature no de vinci code goin on.
the message is obvious. but the message is often one people don't wana hear.
so they look for another meaning.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:17 AM

19,979 posts, read 19,777,783 times
I believe it is God's Word, all true, and our instruction book for living.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:22 AM

4,892 posts, read 11,419,983 times
according to some historians, the bible stories were written by scribes centuries after they "happened" meaning they were oral stories finally written down. ever play telephone? stories change over minutes, can you imagine what happens over centuries?
i think the old testament have stories that help explain to people why things are the way they are. sort of an answer to "why/how are we here" and kind of like what mythology was in Greece.
now the gospels in the new testament are letters of accounts according to the diciples. they were also written years after they "happened".

Old 03-26-2008, 08:24 AM

24,642 posts, read 13,510,893 times
Way too many contradictions to be anything but written by man.
Since I don't believe in god things, it's not written by one of them.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:39 AM

2,238 posts, read 6,150,725 times
It resides in the historical fiction area of my library. I think there are some good things to be learned from it, and a lot of things that are definitely not good. Like any good myth, there's generally an object lesson in the story, but it's not always a positive one.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:58 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,029,719 times
Not myth. It is mainly historical. There are aspects that are poetry (Psalms) and should be read as such. There are aspects within the historical account that are allegorical and should be read as such (the parables of Jesus).

It is my belief it is the word of God, infallible, inerrant and 100% truth upon all it touches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality