Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 11:22 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
well your story doesn't do much to erode my angry atheist stereotype. Your response was incredibly rude and nasty and yet the man still did the christian thing by offering to help. Physical needs are always temporary. Meeting someone's spiritual needs echoes into eternity.
🙄...😳...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 06:05 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
So, I wake up Saturday morning and realize I left my headlights on...Damn, a dead battery.

I open the hood, then get my generator (Harbor freight) battery charger and crank on the gen to get it started. On the 5th pull a suv comes by and a man jumps out WITH A PAMPHLET...(You know who that guy is) He comes to me and says "Good morning I..."

I cut him off with a "You got a pair of jumper cables? I need a jump"

"Well, no I don't"

"Then don't be shoving your crap to me! I need help, not toilet paper!"

So he leaves, THEN turns around and comes back. "I forgot I had this, can I try it?" (Handheld jumper)

"Sure, let's see" Yes it worked, I then thanked him, shook his hand and he left and so did I.

I was still angry, I had to SHAME him into being the "Christian" he was supposed to be.....

James 2:16

Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you tells him, "Go in peace; stay warm and well fed," but does not provide for his physical needs, what good is that? So too, faith by itself, if it is not complemented by action, is dead....
Technically, they are often indoctrinated to think that their "not angering the boss"/"immortality" pamphlet is more
important,
holy/inspired,
and righteously wrathful
than your entire mortal life should even be allowed to be --
were its "needs" value, inspiration, and wrath even be measured.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 04-16-2018 at 06:21 PM..

Old 04-17-2018, 11:18 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Where do you live that random people walk up with religious pamphlets while you're doing something with your vehicle?

I've only ever seen that sort of thing in train stations.
Vancouver, WA. It's just so incredible someone would even DO THAT and it's pretty obvious I'm having mechanical issues and a pamphlet ain't helping the situation.

(I'm not totally stunned, they hang around the Walmart and approach people sitting in their cars minding their own business)

Old 04-17-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Your pressing need was the Word, not jumper cables. A man can live without a car, but he'll surely die without the Word.
He was a fake "Christian" His intent was NEVER to help, only hand out toilet paper.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:21 AM

11,086 posts, read 7,149,943 times
Quote:
Vancouver, WA. (I'm not totally stunned, they hang around the Walmart and approach people sitting in their cars minding their own business)
Weird too because that's right near Portland, OR, which seems to have no religious activity whatsoever. So they hang out on the opposite side of the river?

Handing out "tracks" is mostly a Jehovah's Witness thing, and sometimes Mormon. Moderator cut: Saying denominations are not Christian is against the forum rules.

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-17-2018 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: Trying to keep things civil

Old 04-17-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
His pressing need was for Jumper cables, not waste paper and fairy -tales.

And the pamphlets...well, you may have a point. Why ...? Surely it's the JW or Mormon thing: It must be not that he was expecting to encounter an atheist but a Christian - but the wrong kind.

Put yourself in that position. You car needs a push. Someone stops, but approaches to shove a tract at you.

"I don't need converting; I'm a Christian. I need some assistance."

That would be annoying enough, but then it turns out you aren't the right kind, and he wants you to change denominations. And still your car needs a push.

You don't see a problem here?
I do wish I had taken it, ripped it up and then said "Now will you help me or waste my time some more?"

Old 04-17-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Ok so I grew up in that religion and still, even now, have a tendency to defend them so maybe there is some of this going on but I read your OP and wondered what the heck is wrong with you. YOU look like the ahole in that situation to me.

How is someone to know you need jumper cables unless you ask? What the heck are you doing being so unprepared BTW? So you ask as he says no. You call his religion **** and his pamphlet toilet paper and HE STILL COMES BACK TO HELP YOU. If you had treated me that way I would have held up the handle jumper I remembered I had and drove by you with me middle finger up. So your STILL angry that you had to act like an entitled know it all when someone was going out of there way to help you because they didn't put a bow on it and kiss your little buttbutt.
Yet you call me an ahole and you're acting like one? How precious

Old 04-17-2018, 11:22 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
So, I wake up Saturday morning and realize I left my headlights on...Damn, a dead battery.

I open the hood, then get my generator (Harbor freight) battery charger and crank on the gen to get it started. On the 5th pull a suv comes by and a man jumps out WITH A PAMPHLET...(You know who that guy is) He comes to me and says "Good morning I..."

I cut him off with a "You got a pair of jumper cables? I need a jump"

"Well, no I don't"

"Then don't be shoving your crap to me! I need help, not toilet paper!"

So he leaves, THEN turns around and comes back. "I forgot I had this, can I try it?" (Handheld jumper)

"Sure, let's see" Yes it worked, I then thanked him, shook his hand and he left and so did I.

I was still angry, I had to SHAME him into being the "Christian" he was supposed to be.....

James 2:16

Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you tells him, "Go in peace; stay warm and well fed," but does not provide for his physical needs, what good is that? So too, faith by itself, if it is not complemented by action, is dead....
How do you know he was a Christian?

And did you think that maybe your rude greeting threw him off? Maybe he'd have offered it if you'd have just said "Hi" nicely, then he saw you needed help.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroad70 View Post
I wouldn't have even stopped to help you in the first place.
Thus you're just like 99% of the population. No matter you're not important.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OK. I see JWs in the train stations, and the Jews for Jesus were in the PATH station below the WTC pre-9/11 but I haven't seen them in the new one, and twice since I moved here JWs have come to the door. I just can't imagine someone walking up with a pamphlet while you're looking at your car, though.

Oh yeah, and the Hare Krishnas have returned to Union Square Park in NYC! Hadn't seen them in decades. They had a group in the subway, too, banging on some instruments. Fun to see. Adds to the NYC flavor.
Yeah, they have probably pestered all the people in the housing areas and now seek harder targets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality