Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 07:04 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Why is it ego? They are reasonable questions to ask concerning the biblical god. But yes, I think I could do it better. In my 10 commandments you would see “thou shall not own another human”. “Thou shall not worship me”. “Thou shall not rape”
But you didn't do it better, you posted examples that implicated you as knowing better how to be God. That's what ego does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 07:36 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
But you didn't do it better, you posted examples that implicated you as knowing better how to be God. That's what ego does.
In the examples given, I'd say it is a well-developed sense of justice and humanity that "does," and the indictment is not of God, but of the perceptions of the nature of God that the examples illustrate.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:40 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Most people who believe in a capital "G" God attribute to it unlimited power, knowledge, and abilities.

They also believe - indeed insist - there can be only one (1) capital "G" God.

Why?

If I was an Omni-Max entity, near the top of my agenda would be creating a partner of equal ability - someone/thing that could truly understand and share all the wonders of being a capital "G" God.

Why bother with creating inferior beings?

Some humans are fascinated with ants and become Entomologists.

But most humans are not, and do not - though they may indeed have a passing interest in insects and how they live.

Why would a capital "G" God be interested solely in insects - in beings so much lesser than it?

Doesn't make sense to me.

If there's such a God, it would require companionship that wasn't a complete bore.
The hierarchy is what make things work, no?

Old 04-19-2018, 07:48 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Thanks for the input so far. But the question really hasn't been answered by anyone who believes in a single, omni-max "God" (in the Abrahamic tradition).

I hope others will chime in.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:55 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Thanks for the input so far. But the question really hasn't been answered by anyone who believes in a single, omni-max "God" (in the Abrahamic tradition).

Exactly what kind of answer you are looking for which will satisfy your question?

Abrahamic faith followers (over 2 billion people) come to agree with you that God is not one?

Old 04-19-2018, 09:20 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Exactly what kind of answer you are looking for which will satisfy your question?

Abrahamic faith followers (over 2 billion people) come to agree with you that God is not one?
Why would a God want to be alone? Why be satisfied with creating lesser beings?

Some people may be happy living completely alone except for pets. Most would not. Most want human companionship - a true partner to share one's life.

Why does "God" not want a partner? Why surround itself with pets instead? If humans attribute to their God human qualities like love, anger etc. - why not loneliness? Why not a desire for companionship?

Why is "God" content being alone?

Old 04-19-2018, 09:38 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Why would a god have a chosen race?
Why would a god that hates sin, sanction slavery, rape and genocide?
Why would an all knowing god knowingly create billions of humans destined to his hell?
Why would a god write/inspire the book of Tabernacles?
Why would a god who answers prayers never answer amputee prayers?
Why would a god have two bears maul 30+ children?
Why would a god demand animal and human sacrifices?
Why would a god find car keys, while allowing millions of child to starve and die painful deaths?
Why are there so many proclaimed gods and no evidence of them?
I love this post.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
That's your ego saying "I'd be a much better god than God".

Its perfectly reasonable for you not to believe in God.
I wouldn't believe in your concept of God either.
It's sad that god (if there was a god) isn't better than man at his imperfect best.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I have to tell you that you seem to know god so well. Which isn't at all realistic. That's ego, as well.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:47 AM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:

Maybe if there were multiple gods, different parts of the universe would have different laws of physics?

I’m assuming, of course, that the laws of physics are created & maintained by deities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality