Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2018, 11:08 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Run that up the flag pole over on the atheist forum and see how many atheists believe in reincarnation.
The problem for atheism isn't what it merely is but what sort of worldview it leads to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 12:07 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
The problem for atheism isn't what it merely is but what sort of worldview it leads to.
The only worldview it leads to is one without god/s. It necessitates nothing else.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:23 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
That's not a problem for atheism. It might look like one to you, because a world where half the people don't believe that a god exists and the other half don't care whether it exists or not doesn't appeal to you even though it doesn't stop you believing whatever you like.

Cue fantastic Hollywood scripts about a Global Big Government of pointy -eared Robots coldly eliminating Hawking and Einstein because they weren't perfect physical specimens before going off for an evening's fornication in the streets.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:08 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
I am pointing out how irrational it is to put forth that Tibetan Buddhists are atheists when the religion is bountiful with a plethora of divine beings. And it is also irrational to put forth as "atheism" the religion Tibetan Buddhism which has reincarnation as a principle foundation.

His Holiness The Dalai Lama is imbued and permeated with that which is sacred and holy. The sacred and holy are rejected by atheism.

sa·cred
connected with God (or the gods) or dedicated to a religious purpose and so deserving veneration.
holy, hallowed, sanctified, revered;
religious rather than secular.

ho·ly
dedicated or consecrated to God or a religious purpose; sacred, hallowed, sanctified, revered, divine, religious
An atheist can experience awe.

Ok so maybe I made an inaccurate statement about the Dalai Lama being atheist. Both Trans and Mystic seem to agree with you. That's 3 to 1 and they both spent years studying it while my knowledge fits on a note card. Plus, the irony of debating if the Dalai Lama is an atheist is not lost on me. We will assume the Dalai Lama is not an atheist and therefore does not fit into the 92/8 on the side of 8.

So we're back up to asking you to provide a source for your claim. I assume your not going to and it's not important anyway. I will also concede the point atheists are in the minority.

Now, to where this all started when Freak said to you that this is some appeal to popularity argument and you denied that it was. So if it's not then what are you trying to say with 92/8?

Old 04-28-2018, 05:44 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
The only worldview it leads to is one without god/s. It necessitates nothing else.
how I wish this was true.

But the fact that we are human means we will mess up such a simple dream. We will have denominations of atheism, I call fundamentalist, calling how the universe a "god" and then denying it. And they will fight will for statement of belief over riding our best descriptors of how the universe works. They will bring up the word "semantics" like that has anything to do with the observations themselves.

lmao, then "apologetics", their favorite word when people try to use science to form a belief. When people use science to support a belief some denominations of atheism will deny the validity of the claim on "apologetics" and not analyzing the claim using common sense, logic, and reason.

So I think we will always have people deciding how the universe works based on a statement of belief about god. We will always have people that think their statement of belief about god is the one true statement of belief to be forced on others. Weather its "no" or "yes" isn't really the issue.

Old 04-28-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
An atheist can experience awe.

Ok so maybe I made an inaccurate statement about the Dalai Lama being atheist. Both Trans and Mystic seem to agree with you. That's 3 to 1 and they both spent years studying it while my knowledge fits on a note card. Plus, the irony of debating if the Dalai Lama is an atheist is not lost on me. We will assume the Dalai Lama is not an atheist and therefore does not fit into the 92/8 on the side of 8.

So we're back up to asking you to provide a source for your claim. I assume your not going to and it's not important anyway. I will also concede the point atheists are in the minority.

Now, to where this all started when Freak said to you that this is some appeal to popularity argument and you denied that it was. So if it's not then what are you trying to say with 92/8?
Don't sweat it. The supposition that any Buddhists is effectively atheist is not unreasonable. It could be the the Dalai Lama is effectively as atheist as any Therevadin. I haven't researched his views if indeed he had publicised them, So you could be right.
iI any case, by Personal view of Buddhism is that Karma can't work unless it can discriminate between good and bad deeds on the basis of its' own values, not the values of the person doing it. Thus effectively having to be an intelligent entity; Aka a god. So I see even Theravadin Buddhism as a Quasi -Theistic religion. Take your pick Nobody is going to sue you.

Old 04-28-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Don't sweat it. The supposition that any Buddhists is effectively atheist is not unreasonable. It could be the the Dalai Lama is effectively as atheist as any Therevadin. I haven't researched his views if indeed he had publicised them, So you could be right.
iI any case, by Personal view of Buddhism is that Karma can't work unless it can discriminate between good and bad deeds on the basis of its' own values, not the values of the person doing it. Thus effectively having to be an intelligent entity; Aka a god. So I see even Theravadin Buddhism as a Quasi -Theistic religion. Take your pick Nobody is going to sue you.
lmao, your denomination doesn't know how to define atheist any more than a literal theist knows how to define "believing".

to funny, a statement of belief desides over a statement of knowledge. A funfy dog chases its tail. lmao.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:37 AM

I took you off ignore just to see whether you merited it.

You don't. You seem to be following me round the forum cackling and tossing out inane comments.

Back on ignore you go.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I took you off ignore just to see whether you merited it.

You don't. You seem to be following me round the forum cackling and tossing out inane comments.

Back on ignore you go.
good. It means I am correct. You are not in the position to dictate what atheism really means. No more than a fundy theist is to tell us what to believe in.

you ignore because you know if we go point for point, like happened before, your statement of belief is rendered to just another statement of belief trying to push itself off as more than it is.

Thanks again.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:48 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
good. It means I am correct. You are not in the position to dictate what atheism really means. No more than a fundy theist is to tell us what to believe in.

you ignore because you know if we go point for point, like happened before, your statement of belief is rendered to just another statement of belief trying to push itself off as more than it is.

Thanks again.
What is theism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality