Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 09:19 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,306,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Theyre trying to let you down easy.
The science of the gaps is growing.
The more I know the less I understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 03:43 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Conclusion, that mind is the 'essence' of what we observe, is unwarranted. This guy has a book titled 'Why Materialism is Baloney'--not exactly an unbiased perspective here. Quantum entanglement is a mystery that remains unexplained--it was irresponsible for him to offer what he offered at the end.
I never know whether the 'everything is essentially the mind' arguments are arguing for a 'brain in a vat' or 'solipsistic universe' (which differ because one is your brain - or rather mine - and the other is someone else's brain) or arguing personal subjectivity which is the 'imperfect human perception' argument.

I don't buy either of them because the scientific method is designed to weed out all those potential mistakes and misperceptions, so to appeal to 'humans delusion in hopes to debunk scientific knowledge and claim Divine revelation as the valid knowledge is in fact illogical. and reality surprises us with life's pratfalls which if we were inventing it, it wouldn't (yes, i know all sorts of Explanations can be made but Occam's razor -like the bush behind a rock says that the bush still being there even when out of sight and the universe having it's own reality if it looks like it is the default theory.

That has a knock on into quantum, holographic universes and protons going the wrong way when observed. Aside from the explanation (when we have one) is likely to be explainable in natural physical laws terms (if not just the ones we have now). None of that matters as Reality is reliable repeatability, not solidity, and Newton and Einstein still work on their own level, no matter what is happening at the micro -basic or the macro supercosmic level.

This whole ploy is just playing the 'make them doubt science - that's really it down at base - in hopes to make the god -claim (based effectively on nothing) look more credible.

Effectively this is just Chophra with a crucifix round the neck.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:48 AM

16,751 posts, read 4,966,602 times
Quote:
It looks like scientific American is throwing in the towel.
This nothing new but the doors of denial have been closing off to the deniers for over 3 decades.
More like 2018 years.

Quote:
Apart from the words "Scientific American", the article has nothing to do with anything you wrote.

Quote:
Depends, it does reduce the atheist God.
Grammar - A+
Semantics - U

Quote:
I know many who assume math is the solid bedrock of logic, they haven't stumbled across godel yet.
Godel, check. Next buzzword.

Quote:
I think the magazine is priming its atheist readers for the uncomfortable facts that can no longer be evaded.
That science has discovered something new, and this time it is a god?

Quote:
This is what scientific American is having to admit, the science is on the side of theism.
https://youtu.be/4C5pq7W5yRM
The Scientific American article never mentioned that Youtube video. Plus that video is like a wall with stones of good science held together with bull manure instead of cement.

Quote:
The implication in the article is materialism is a blind faith claim , without fact or truth now.
QM still deals with matter and energy. You really should stop making things up.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Atheism is an aberration. Because over 92% of the world population either associates with a religion (=84%) or worships in private on their own (=8%).

ab·er·ra·tion
noun
a departure from what is normal, usual
anomaly, deviation, abnormality, irregularity, digression, oddity, peculiarity, curiosity, quirk, mistake, divergence
Yes, the brain is prone to making errors, it evolved to do so. Teleological thinking that encompasses religion is just another example. Like a water pipe in the grass that is mistaken for a snake, most people would jump to the false conclusion.

Just like religion.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:30 AM

22,137 posts, read 19,195,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yes, the brain is prone to making errors, it evolved to do so. Teleological thinking that encompasses religion is just another example. Like a water pipe in the grass that is mistaken for a snake, most people would jump to the false conclusion.

Just like religion.
I don't know of anyone who has ever mistaken a water pipe in the grass for a snake.

And it is neither credible nor accurate to claim that "most people" jump to that conclusion.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 04-23-2018 at 06:41 AM..

Old 04-23-2018, 06:43 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,149,606 times
Quote:
I don't know of anyone who has ever mistaken a water pipe in the grass for a snake.
I have.

I also jump to the conclusion that a conscious agent is responsible for unknown noises I hear at night.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:

And it is neither credible nor accurate to claim that "most people" jump to that conclusion.
The science behind my example is very credible, and very accurate. That is why I made the claim.

Have you never seen a shadow and thought it was someone hiding? Or heard a noise in your house and mistakenly thought someone was there?

Our brains evolved to make this mistake so that we would react instinctively. Because it is better to hear a noise and mistakenly think it is a tiger in the bush than to hear a noise and mistakenly think it is not.

It is called teleological thinking, and the science behind it is both credible and accurate.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I have.

I also jump to the conclusion that a conscious agent is responsible for unknown noises I hear at night.
I had that problem when I lived in an old house that made late night noises, especially on hot days in spring and autumn. It was just the house reacting to the temperature change.

I ignored it when I became used to it, but would still wake up when our neighbour above came home drunk. He would walk very carefully so as not to wake us. Eventually I had to ask him to just walk normally so I could sleep better at weekends.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:58 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,565,709 times
Quote:
I had that problem when I lived in an old house that made late night noises, especially on hot days in spring and autumn. It was just the house reacting to the temperature change.

I ignored it when I became used to it, but would still wake up when our neighbour above came home drunk. He would walk very carefully so as not to wake us. Eventually I had to ask him to just walk normally so I could sleep better at weekends.
lmao, thats awesome.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:59 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,149,606 times
Quote:

Yes, we humans are wired to assume that unknown noises (or other phenomena) are caused by conscious agents as opposed to unconscious action (from wind, thermal expansion, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality