Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 04:59 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times

Advertisements

It looks like scientific American is throwing in the towel.
This nothing new but the doors of denial have been closing off to the deniers for over 3 decades.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...think-reality/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 05:30 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
This nothing new but the doors of denial have been closing off to the deniers for over 3 decades.

well, of course the brain uses what it experiences to make predictions. I use the word "red", when I see the color red. I think of the "r" sound in red when i identify it. It makes perfect sense that the language portion of the brain is processing information. The connections are so vast that many areas of the brain help in dissipating thoughts.

as far as "materialism". all to often phylisopkers get to dismiss the claim that we kind of stick to what we know in describing things we don't know. I think philosopher's dump "knownism" and get to make up stuff at will sometimes.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:16 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Someone like the erudite Matadora or the ist class brain of Mordant or the brilliance of Shirina should deal with this, so until they turn up, let me shove my finger or something in the crumbling dyke of materialist secularism.

Ever since quantum hit the fan, (denied by Einstein because of the fading bits of God -belief he had), we have had the God -believers clamouring at us to accept that everything we know about science is wrong, thus creating a much -needed gap for God, because by Jimminy Christopher Columbus they ain't got many left. Ignoring that this was what science had discovered, and had NOT been revealed to us by God, presumably because it doesn't put bums on church seats.

But in fact I am aware (even if science is not and they probably are) that all of nature is an illusion created by human perception of the atoms (which are made of nothing just about) forming complex patterns and reflecting light particles which we Interpret mentally in terms of shape and colour and the atoms of our hand meet resistance when they meet atoms of brick and so we get a sensory input signal from the area of crushed bone and lacerated skin where our Karate lessons didn't go too well and are presented by the experienser -function of the brain as pain -Qualia and the brain responds accordingly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtbMnixO2nc

As Einstein said, reality is an illusion, but it is a very convincing one. Materialism ain't dead. In fact it is on steroids.

Thus is is pretty much taken in their stride by Physicissts, Secular Materialiists and atheistic members of Satanic Darwinism when it is suggested that the whole of reality could be a hologram projected from beyond the Cosmos. So long as it is a reliably repeatable holographic illusion, we are cool with it.

So essentially all this quantum -woo stuff is not going to send us mentally skittering to Godfaith is desperation to have something "Solid" to cling to, even if it is a straw, which is probably not there anyway.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-19-2018 at 06:27 PM..

Old 04-19-2018, 06:28 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Default Materialism dead ?

Short answer: Yes.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:39 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Well done Mystic, Short, to the point and irrepairably closed -minded as usual.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:55 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Neither the word materialism or God was used in that article. Another dubious claim by some creationist who knows not what they read. LMAO!

Old 04-19-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Neither the word materialism or God was used in that article. Another dubious claim by some creationist who knows not what they read. LMAO!
Theyre trying to let you down easy.
The science of the gaps is growing.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Someone like the erudite Matadora or the ist class brain of Mordant or the brilliance of Shirina should deal with this, so until they turn up, let me shove my finger or something in the crumbling dyke of materialist secularism.

Ever since quantum hit the fan, (denied by Einstein because of the fading bits of God -belief he had), we have had the God -believers clamouring at us to accept that everything we know about science is wrong, thus creating a much -needed gap for God, because by Jimminy Christopher Columbus they ain't got many left. Ignoring that this was what science had discovered, and had NOT been revealed to us by God, presumably because it doesn't put bums on church seats.

But in fact I am aware (even if science is not and they probably are) that all of nature is an illusion created by human perception of the atoms (which are made of nothing just about) forming complex patterns and reflecting light particles which we Interpret mentally in terms of shape and colour and the atoms of our hand meet resistance when they meet atoms of brick and so we get a sensory input signal from the area of crushed bone and lacerated skin where our Karate lessons didn't go too well and are presented by the experienser -function of the brain as pain -Qualia and the brain responds accordingly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtbMnixO2nc

As Einstein said, reality is an illusion, but it is a very convincing one. Materialism ain't dead. In fact it is on steroids.

Thus is is pretty much taken in their stride by Physicissts, Secular Materialiists and atheistic members of Satanic Darwinism when it is suggested that the whole of reality could be a hologram projected from beyond the Cosmos. So long as it is a reliably repeatable holographic illusion, we are cool with it.

So essentially all this quantum -woo stuff is not going to send us mentally skittering to Godfaith is desperation to have something "Solid" to cling to, even if it is a straw, which is probably not there anyway.
Depends, it does reduce the atheist God.
I know many who assume math is the solid bedrock of logic, they haven't stumbled across godel yet.

I think the magazine is priming its atheist readers for the uncomfortable facts that can no longer be evaded.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Depends, it does reduce the atheist God.
I know many who assume math is the solid bedrock of logic, they haven't stumbled across godel yet.

I think the magazine is priming its atheist readers for the uncomfortable facts that can no longer be evaded.
This is what scientific American is having to admit, the science is on the side of theism.
https://youtu.be/4C5pq7W5yRM

Old 04-19-2018, 09:28 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:

I didn’t see anything in that article that suggested evidence for the supernatural. Did anyone else?

I saw some interesting philosophical discussion related to recent discoveries in quantum mechanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality