Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 12:55 PM

413 posts, read 301,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Incredibly sad. What I'm curious is, was that the fault of the local church? Or the SBC?

I've attended SBC churches in the past, but never joined one. I've never known an SBC church to be anything like what you guys are describing. Maybe it's a cultural thing in the area where I was..I don't know.
When the SBC channged their statement of faith to diminish the role of women teaching. To apply preasure to reinforce their role in the home as, barefoot and pregnant is when I left the church. Actually I stayed for 8 more years because I thought this was not serious really. Then when I got a call to become a Deacon and serve the church officially is when all hell broke loose. I was percieved as being a feminist I guess because I stayed at home while my wife, a soldier, served the Army. I raised the kids in all respects and supported her career. This truth disqualified me from leadership even though I was already helping with visitations. Serving the homeless and working on the welcoming committee. I was a teacher to the poor in the church. I also met with all of the pastors and helped to improve situations in the church. Then some of my closest friends turned on me, suddenly I was ostricized because I respected my wife enough to support her. Thats it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 01:03 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan west View Post
When the SBC channged their statement of faith to diminish the role of women teaching. To apply preasure to reinforce their role in the home as, barefoot and pregnant is when I left the church. Actually I stayed for 8 more years because I thought this was not serious really. Then when I got a call to become a Deacon and serve the church officially is when all hell broke loose. I was percieved as being a feminist I guess because I stayed at home while my wife, a soldier, served the Army. I raised the kids in all respects and supported her career. This truth disqualified me from leadership even though I was already helping with visitations. Serving the homeless and working on the welcoming committee. I was a teacher to the poor in the church. I also met with all of the pastors and helped to improve situations in the church. Then some of my closest friends turned on me, suddenly I was ostricized because I respected my wife enough to support her. Thats it.
They sound like losers, typical fundies.

They didn't deserve you.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:20 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
This isn't one for me, but I would observe that (despite BF going in to bat for them) this is not criticism of Christianity but of those who are bringing it into disrepute.

While of course it suits we goddless bastards very well that disgust with the doings of a certain church or churchman may turn someone off religion, this is not the fault of Christianity as such, no more that evolution -denial is the fault of Christianity. Many believers are fair and humane and don't misrepresent or deny science.

It does not help Christianity to defend Churches or Churchpersons who go wrong or are wrong, and in the long run it does no harm and some credit (BF will know ) when they denounce the wrong.

But we are all too aware of the kneejerk temptation to cover it up or try to excuse it. It takes guts, integrity and reason to stand up and say 'These people are not real Christians'. Odd that God never pops into their heads to give then a prompting hint.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-06-2018 at 05:25 AM.. Reason: yeah...a new para would look better..

Old 05-06-2018, 05:35 AM

15,864 posts, read 6,317,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I should have added a smiley to show I had my tongue in cheek. That atheism is a club for white males has been a bit of a finger -pointing. In fact there are some outstanding female activists and speakers, and one or two that caused a few ripples, like one that made a few speeches (a bit diffuse in content from the you tubes) and then went back to religion and another who projected 'elevatorgate' at an atheist conference, after she was invited to have 'coffee' and made a bit of a campaign about it (U/U churches have had a flurry of feminist agenda) and Dawins could have handled it better, effectively dismissing it as unimportant.

The Fundies, suddlenly becoming ardent defenders of women's right after going to see 50 shades of grey at the Fort Pillow movie house and being disgusted at the sexual abuse of women (they went to see it eight times to see how disgusted they could get) took up the cry, and if it din't bring the whole atheist movemt to a grinding halt it wasn't their fault.

But without playing the ..what was it..'Mutapha fallacy' ("Muslima"...there are worse things than that so we can ignore this - a favourite one fo religious apologetics - we do want and need more women and non whites in atheism,but we can't bring them in if they don't join.

And what can be done about blokes trying their luck with a decent -looking bird I don't know. There should perhaps be some Rules and give and take. Women shouldn't go running to the press waving the feminist banner every time they asked for a date, and men should definitely take "No" for an answer.

I am of course, myself, an ardent feminist.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhZRDoGZg00
I didn't even get that was abuse when I saw the movie. I mentioned some scene to my daughter and she yelled "MOM!!!" at me and had to explain it to me. She's so awesome.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I left the SBC Decades ago, having grown up in it. As a child I was coerced into Baptism at age 12, forced to attend 3 days a week and forced to hear all sorts of garbage which had a core of hatred and fear at it's center.
I dreaded Sundays, to a point that I developed psychosomatic illnesses in order to stay home By the time I was 15 , this would manifest as a severe allergy attack, a stomach virus, a headache, all of which would clear up by MOnday morning only to reoccur the next Sunday.

The reason I left was because I really truly loathed everything about it. I did not believe in it, nor did I want to. I did not want involvement I did not want socialization (like that happened anyway) and I watched so many lives be damaged by the thinking and lifestyles of the religion. I watched my own mom sink deeper into depression and be unable to get help because of her religious convictions. I watched my father, the biggest hypocrite I have ever known, become more paranoid and more abusive anytime he was around a church. Things he said and did as a result of the Baptist church's influences have helped separate us to the point that our relationship now, decades later, is non-existent and non-repairable. He and I will never be close. I can thank the Baptists for part of that as well.

I wanked out one Sunday, and loudly said "I renounce my Membership here" and walked away. (People did start running from me when I said that.....THAT was funny because some of them were fat ugly 200+ pound women that seem to be very common to Fundy churches.)

My life is so much better without the illusion of god and without the myth of religion. I am a successful humanist, atheist and free spirit who lives life to the fullest without the mental garbage of the Baptist faith and without the dysfunctional phony friendships that the shallow members provide.
Why is the fact that these women were fat and ugly funny?

Old 05-06-2018, 08:58 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,083,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Read the works of Fr Leo Booth in regards to addictions and recovery from religions.

He points out that in a strict/fundy religious setting, the ONLY addiction (Other than an addiction to church) which is tolerated is an addiction to food. Many of these women are single or are in very submissive relationships. The churches themselves are very hateful and abusive as well. SO for them the only comfort in life is food. And as a result, the age old idea that a plump wife shows that the husband is providing food on the table and therefore a good baptist provider for his family! This is why I noticed the obesity in fundy churches.
These are the same women who fear everything, other than a double big mac with cheese on buy one get three free day, so they probably thought the lightning was about to strike when I said that I was renouncing my membership.

Fact is, I will not subscribe to a lifestyle and organization which I know is 100% Wrong. And it is 100% wrong because it is based on hate.....It is a legalistic movement in which members appoint themselves Lords and Guardians over other members, and are quick to complain and criticize, all the while expressing intolerance for other races, gays, other religions, and women. (And in my experience, pretty much everything I heard growing up in Baptist churches about other religions and other religious peoples practices and beliefs was incorrect too, so shall we add ignorance to the list of adjective?)
My late Uncle was a Baptist trained minister, and he said that originally the Baptist movement was formed with the idea that each person must be privately accountable to his creator, but that has long since disappeared. The Baptist church is now every bit as legalistic as the Church of Christ in interfering and dictating rules and regulations to members, encouraging intolerance and opposing anyone who will not submit to them. sounds like Hitler, eh?
I will not support a movement which endeavors to push humanity backwards into a medieval mindset, who wants authority over all people and lashes out with hatred and anger when they cannot achieve it.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Read the works of Fr Leo Booth in regards to addictions and recovery from religions.

He points out that in a strict/fundy religious setting, the ONLY addiction (Other than an addiction to church) which is tolerated is an addiction to food. Many of these women are single or are in very submissive relationships. The churches themselves are very hateful and abusive as well. SO for them the only comfort in life is food. And as a result, the age old idea that a plump wife shows that the husband is providing food on the table and therefore a good baptist provider for his family! This is why I noticed the obesity in fundy churches.
These are the same women who fear everything, other than a double big mac with cheese on buy one get three free day, so they probably thought the lightning was about to strike when I said that I was renouncing my membership.

Fact is, I will not subscribe to a lifestyle and organization which I know is 100% Wrong. And it is 100% wrong because it is based on hate.....It is a legalistic movement in which members appoint themselves Lords and Guardians over other members, and are quick to complain and criticize, all the while expressing intolerance for other races, gays, other religions, and women. (And in my experience, pretty much everything I heard growing up in Baptist churches about other religions and other religious peoples practices and beliefs was incorrect too, so shall we add ignorance to the list of adjective?)
My late Uncle was a Baptist trained minister, and he said that originally the Baptist movement was formed with the idea that each person must be privately accountable to his creator, but that has long since disappeared. The Baptist church is now every bit as legalistic as the Church of Christ in interfering and dictating rules and regulations to members, encouraging intolerance and opposing anyone who will not submit to them. sounds like Hitler, eh?
I will not support a movement which endeavors to push humanity backwards into a medieval mindset, who wants authority over all people and lashes out with hatred and anger when they cannot achieve it.
So funny peculiar not funny haha. Actually not so peculiar after all. I haven't heard of that guy but I'll check it out. thanks

Old 05-07-2018, 01:25 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I think it is funny because these obese fundie women have no problem talking crap about other people and how they are living their lives while they stuff their faces with food completely ignoring their own sin of gluttony and ignoring Jesus' prohibition against judging others. It is like their whole religion is designed to be a hateful cult designed to stir up drama. Evangelicals live their entire lives like a group of 'mean girl' bullies, mentally they forever function like insecure 12 year olds.

Old 05-07-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
I think it is funny because these obese fundie women have no problem talking crap about other people and how they are living their lives while they stuff their faces with food completely ignoring their own sin of gluttony and ignoring Jesus' prohibition against judging others. It is like their whole religion is designed to be a hateful cult designed to stir up drama. Evangelicals live their entire lives like a group of 'mean girl' bullies, mentally they forever function like insecure 12 year olds.
That pretty much sums it up.

I encountered many so hateful people while in the SBC and the negative way outweighed any positive. I continue to find hateful people in the community who are part of a Baptist church somewhere , as well as online. Growing up in it though, I learned that that is the way they gather new members. Not by love and friendship or a sense of community, but by goading and bullying vulnerable people, scaring then into "what may happen" if they are not part of the right Baptist church, keeping the flock ignorant and fearful, and always acting as "big brother" ready to further harass and bully anyone who mentions leaving. What the Baptist do not like is someone who stands up to them, because that is how bullies are. A quick punch in the nose sends them off crying.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
OK...so it was someone that lived and preached decades ago. And that means all SBC pastors are racists now?
Interesting that your black and white thinking would lead to such an assumption.

Of course, racism is alive and well in the sbc. Proof? How about all the Obama bashing ? I heard the N word thrown around by so many Jesus preaching baptists. Of course Jesus in an ideal situation would not approve of such racism but The SBC and the Christ have very little in common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality