Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 12:08 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

Yes, funny indeed!

Kinda like when believers give up faith when the <bleep>.

Or when they preach every Sunday only to be found guilty of raping little boys on Tuesday.

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-22-2018 at 04:07 AM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 01:55 AM

11,020 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Yes, funny indeed!

Kinda like when believers give up faith when the <bleep>.
Now that IS funny!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post

Or when they preach every Sunday only to be found guilty of raping little boys on Tuesday.

This not so much.

Not so much because it is both true and tragic.

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-22-2018 at 04:07 AM.. Reason: language

Old 04-22-2018, 03:56 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
I can assure you that it is true and I don't care if you think it is funny or not. Maybe you are used to making up stories which is why you were so quick to call me a liar, I personally have no reason to lie.
We get assured of all sorts of things being true that turn out not to be, and we are used to people making a polemic point (atheists really Believe deep down inside). And we don't mind at all if you don't care whether we find it funny or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I wonder if he let the doctor say a prayer before examining or doing a procedure on him?

Circa: Doctors Who Pray for/with Patients
Yes, that's more probable - the doctor suggests praying over the atheist rather then his asking for it.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:22 AM

17,773 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"There are no atheist in the foxholes?"
My favorite retort to this one is...........

"There are no atheists in foxholes because there are apparently no gods in them either."

Old 04-22-2018, 08:42 AM

23,125 posts, read 10,422,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You people must be getting desperate. Playing the 'really believe deep down inside' package (incorporating 'recan on deathbed and No atheists in foxholes'.

Even in this was true, and not (more probably) the wishful thinking of Believers (the OP anecdote was no more convincing than it was funny) it would only explain one of the reasons why humans invented a god. It doesn't do a single solitary thing to make the belief true.
Sounded kinda insulting. I mean, what the other people said of Atheists.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:15 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
This not so much.

Not so much because it is both true and tragic.
Yeah, kinda my point with this one - I did not really find the OP funny but a tragic attempt to ridicule atheists.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:27 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
You people must be getting desperate. Playing the 'really believe deep down inside' package (incorporating 'recan on deathbed and No atheists in foxholes'.

Even in this was true, and not (more probably) the wishful thinking of Believers (the OP anecdote was no more convincing than it was funny) it would only explain one of the reasons why humans invented a god. It doesn't do a single solitary thing to make the belief true.
Perhaps the man said it to accommodate his wife. My brother, most definitely an atheist and never Catholic, was offered communion on his deathbed by a priest who had come to give last rites to the guy in the next bed. My brother said he was not Catholic but said he was Christian in response to the priest's question. The priest gave my brother Communion.

My mother, a Protestant was there, and my brother's daughter, a Catholic was not, but both of them were comforted by the idea that my brother participated in a Christian ritual the night before he died. I'm pretty darn sure my brother didn't have a deathbed conversion. He knew this was something he could do to ease the grief of his mother and daughter.

My bro has made his presence known a number of times since his departure, but it has nothing to do with religion and is a story for another time,

Old 04-22-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Sounded kinda insulting. I mean, what the other people said of Atheists.
Well - it's not Insulting, so much as really wrong. Theists really cannot believe (so I have heard) that people really don't believe in God, so they try to think of what is actually going on with atheists - everything except the truth. - which they can't handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Perhaps the man said it to accommodate his wife. My brother, most definitely an atheist and never Catholic, was offered communion on his deathbed by a priest who had come to give last rites to the guy in the next bed. My brother said he was not Catholic but said he was Christian in response to the priest's question. The priest gave my brother Communion.

My mother, a Protestant was there, and my brother's daughter, a Catholic was not, but both of them were comforted by the idea that my brother participated in a Christian ritual the night before he died. I'm pretty darn sure my brother didn't have a deathbed conversion. He knew this was something he could do to ease the grief of his mother and daughter.

My bro has made his presence known a number of times since his departure, but it has nothing to do with religion and is a story for another time,
Mmmm. Then I'd expect him to keep quiet unless his wife made the suggestion, Then he'd go along with it. He wouldn't suggest it just to please her. So it could have a basis in fact (I'm not betting on it) but has at least been fiddled to make a polemic point that wasn't originally there.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:20 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,306,545 times
Quote:
Well - it's not Insulting, so much as really wrong. Theists really cannot believe (so I have heard) that people really don't believe in God, so they try to think of what is actually going on with atheists - everything except the truth. - which they can't handle.
Yeah, there can be no valid criticism or it opens up a whole can of worms.

Quote:
Mmmm. Then I'd expect him to keep quiet unless his wife made the suggestion, Then he'd go along with it. He wouldn't suggest it just to please her. So it could have a basis in fact (I'm not betting on it) but has at least been fiddled to make a polemic point that wasn't originally there.
I can see someone doing that. If he knew he was about to die he could have been thinking of ways to help his family deal knowing none of it really mattered.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Yeah, there can be no valid criticism or it opens up a whole can of worms.
The whole atheist method is devoted to opening cans of worms. The Theist method is trying to cram the lid back on.

Quote:

I can see someone doing that. If he knew he was about to die he could have been thinking of ways to help his family deal knowing none of it really mattered.
I find it quite alien to atheist thinking, but let's suppose that it was done to help the family (who can't deal with death as natural) to cope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXYvwEeWrm8
Nope it doesn't work, .. I thought through the praying to be saved scenario and that would be conversion, not prayer, so prayer for a successful operation? Why should HE ask for it rather than leaving it to others?

But even if that did work, it merely leaves him an atheist caring about the believers who can't deal with this stuff. It is Nothing to do with his personal beliefs after all. I still think it's an attempt to argue No atheists in foxholes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality