Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2018, 08:21 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Thank you for reminding me just how insulting christians can be. Must be the eleventh commandment.

She's a born-again Jew but yeah - same-deal. Full of herself and dismissive of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 08:22 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
That's what you should be asking but your lack of science literacy prevents you from understanding this.

Your question makes no sense the way you ask it because humans are animals.

Look up why we fit nicely in the category of belonging to the Animal Kingdom.

Can you answer why humans fit into the Animal Kingdom? Why are we in that Kingdom vs. Kingdoms of the Eukaryota?

Like all religious fundies, she ignores many of science's truths.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:24 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Thank you for reminding me just how insulting christians can be. Must be the eleventh commandment.
Remember this is a public forum, if you come on it you have agreed to answer her questions the way she wants them answered and of course never have the indecency to ask her a question.

She has been asked to explain how humans are not, according to her, animals and told the first poster to look it up themselves but seems to enjoy insulting those who have tried to honestly discuss the topic but are in disagreement with her.

Every biology textbook I have ever seen place humans as animald. N9 9ne needs to be able to describe why in their own words however I think that when one disagrees with those books and are asked why, the right thing would be to answer the question not to bring up how some humans insult other humans.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:58 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Come on, Arq! Your so-called "default" eliminates from consideration any and all potential inferences that could lead to acknowledging a purpose or design to our existence. You assume it away as non-existent and make no attempt to validate or verify even the possibility. If that is not bias, what is???
I'll tell you what is old chum; appeals to unknowns, faith -claims and gap for God arguments.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:30 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Reporting the findings of science is crucial to promoting a realistic understanding of reality. But when it proceeds from the typical scientific premise that there is NO purpose or design to what is discovered, it commits a great disservice to enlightenment.
Where do you find no purpose in what I've posted about these scientific discoveries? I am not sure what you are referring to with respect to design. Design of what?
Quote:
It is okay to prefer to believe that, but to preclude purpose or design prevents seeing the implications of what is discovered and drawing reasonable inferences from them.
I see no such thing being stated in what I posted. Again what design are you referring to?
Quote:
For example, the tendency of brain states to be responsive to external EM fields by producing experiences of "oneness" or a "presence" or "out-of-body" experiences has scant evolutionary precursors or purposes for such a capability.
What evidence to you have that these experiences are due to our brain responding to EM fields? Exactly what EM field are you referring to?

The work done by this physician does not reflect what you are claiming.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:32 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Reporting the findings of science is crucial to promoting a realistic understanding of reality. But when it proceeds from the typical scientific premise that there is NO purpose or design to what is discovered, it commits a great disservice to enlightenment. It is okay to prefer to believe that, but to preclude purpose or design prevents seeing the implications of what is discovered and drawing reasonable inferences from them. It is the subtle anti-Theist bias that prevents certain inferences from ever being drawn in the mistaken name of objectivity. For example, the tendency of brain states to be responsive to external EM fields by producing experiences of "oneness" or a "presence" or "out-of-body" experiences has scant evolutionary precursors or purposes for such a capability. The evidence that brain states can alter our life experience dramatically by internally evoked changes through dedicated and purposeful devout prayer, ritual or meditation practice suggests that it is an inherent capability for a reason. Just saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Where do you find no purpose in what I've posted about these scientific discoveries? I am not sure what you are referring to with respect to design. Design of what?
I see no such thing being stated in what I posted. Again what design are you referring to?
What evidence to you have that these experiences are due to our brain responding to EM fields? Exactly what EM field are you referring to?
The work done by this physician does not reflect what you are claiming.
I am not referring to a purpose for YOUR posts. I am referring to the so-called "default" position of science that there is NO purpose for our existence itself and that therefore there is no design to human existence or reason for it other than randomness or natural selection. That is NOT an objective position because that has NOT been verified nor has its opposite been falsified in any way. It is a preference and an opinion. The famous God Helmet experiences are the EM fields I was referencing, Mat. I was directly referring to your physician's work when I said: "The evidence that brain states can alter our life experience dramatically by internally evoked changes through dedicated and purposeful devout prayer, ritual or meditation practice suggests that it is an inherent capability for a reason." It almost seems like you get triggered by some parts of my posts and do not read other parts.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:36 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Surely not.
Either that or he didn't understand my use of set theory using common keyboard characters.

But then sometimes the intellectually superior have problems understanding the simple things.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Come on, Arq! Your so-called "default" eliminates from consideration any and all potential inferences that could lead to acknowledging a purpose or design to our existence. You assume it away as non-existent and make no attempt to validate or verify even the possibility. If that is not bias, what is???
No, that's called evidence.

You know, the thing you ignore while using creationist argument (while pretending you're not).

Old 05-26-2018, 01:56 AM

Quote:
For example, the tendency of brain states to be responsive to external EM fields by producing experiences of "oneness" or a "presence" or "out-of-body" experiences has scant evolutionary precursors or purposes for such a capability.
The brain is quiet capable of having false experiences, for deluding itself, and for trying to make sense out of something it does not understand by referring to cultural precursors.

The fact that you refuse to consider your experiences of "oneness" or a "presence" or "out-of-body" experiences are nothing but the mind making an error (something it is very good at) shows where the bias really lies.

Old 05-26-2018, 02:00 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
No, that's called evidence.
You know, the thing you ignore while using creationist argument (while pretending you're not).
Present the evidence that verifies that there is NO purpose to our existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality