Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2018, 06:45 PM

22,164 posts, read 19,217,049 times

Advertisements

Mat also in her posts added more items to the list of what sets humans apart from animals:

technology
higher education, university
earning advanced degrees, beyond what is needed for mere sustenance and survival
can choose to NOT have offspring, to NOT reproduce
"how we develop our minds, thoughts, and consciousness"
"every animal but the human species is true to their nature"
yoga, meditation
publishing, books, magazines, written language, libraries, museums
doctors, medicine, healing others, study of disease
we can change and improve our behaviors

these areas she has identified are significant in setting humans apart from animals.
again they address how humans can choose to go against our "animal nature" using free will.

she also mentions "spirit" and having a "beautiful soul". will have to follow up with her on what she means by that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Every animal but the human species is true to their nature. The more we become overtaken in our daily lives with technology that takes us farther and farther from our roots and disconnects us with nature, the more dysfunctional our species becomes.
I am true to my nature which is why I am different from most other humans.
Wrong again. They are behaviors that certain members of the human species exhibit. A person who hold 3 science degrees is not intectually lazy or ignorant in the least.
What destruction, misery and suffering am I causing in this world?
Yes an my instincts shapes the beautiful soul I am.
Our animal nature is one thing...how we develop our minds, thoughts and consciousness are another.
Quote:
All animal species posses consciousness...not all animals develop their consciousnesses to behave like clones of others.

Well some do...you see this in organized religion. If you truly want to learn how to achieve higher states of consciousness you need to find what works for you. You can claim all day long that your religious beliefs work for you but your judgmental posts tell us otherwise.

Do an experiment. Learn how to achieve deep levels of meditation and try this for several months and see if that help you. You can try also try yoga Yoga and Kirtan Kriya meditation. A study published in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease in April confirmed that yoga and a form of meditation known as Kirtan Kriya improved brain functioning by increasing connectivity, improving memory, and decreasing mood aberration.

If that does not work keep searching for what helps you obtain higher consciousness. Higher education can help as can nature walks and finding something that balances your mind, body and spirit.
Quote:
It's also you but I can say that you have contributed more by having offspring. At least I chose wisely not to contribute to bringing in more carbon footprints and consumers.
No I don't loath myself as myself does not behave like overall humanity behaves.
I don't loath anything but blatant ignorance and intellectual laziness.

Keep your head in the sand and keep pointing the finger at me...it's not going to solve your issues or amount to a hill of beans with respect to improving humanities behaviors.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-28-2018 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 07:08 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
The question asked was "can you distinguish and articulate what sets humans apart from animals".
Trans had excellent contributions in response to that question, here are posts, summarized in list below:

Trans added many items to the list of what sets humans apart from animals:

developed problem solving mechanism that can reason
adapting the environment to suit us
find other ways of acting than instinct
cooperating "rather than behaving like a pack of chimps"
question whether to behave more like rational beings and less like "animals"

humans can choose whether to "act like animals"
or act differently and go against our "animal nature"

because in addition to instinct we have free will which allows us to choose to go against our "animal" nature.
No she explained how we differ in many aspects from other species. You are changing he meaning to fit your anti science bias. And other species do not act stricktly from instinct. That has been proven with crows, ravens, dogs, whales and other species. And they can and have taught others of their species new skills. And have saved the lives of other species of animals including humans.

How can you use common sense to make choices when you deliberately exclude known facts and knowledge from your decision making toolset?

Common sense tells me that because there are so many religions with totally different gods or goddesses, different numbers of gods, some have and some do not have either an afterlife or reincarnation and some have both, that at least the notion of religions is man made

Old 05-28-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
No she explained how we differ in many aspects from other species. You are changing he meaning to fit your anti science bias. And other species do not act stricktly from instinct. That has been proven with crows, ravens, dogs, whales and other species. And they can and have taught others of their species new skills. And have saved the lives of other species of animals including humans.

How can you use common sense to make choices when you deliberately exclude known facts and knowledge from your decision making toolset?

Common sense tells me that because there are so many religions with totally different gods or goddesses, different numbers of gods, some have and some do not have either an afterlife or reincarnation and some have both, that at least the notion of religions is man made
people eat different foods, it still nourishes the body.
mothers sing their babies lullabies with different words, it still expresses their love.
people study textbooks written in different languages, it still nourishes the intellect.
people practice different religions, it still nourishes the soul.

yes, that is common sense

Old 05-28-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
people eat different foods, it still nourishes the body.
mothers sing their babies lullabies with different words, it still expresses their love.
people study textbooks written in different languages, it still nourishes the intellect.
people practice different religions, it still nourishes the soul.

yes, that is common sense
We know about the body, the mind and love. Soul may or may not exist hence not much common sense nourishing a non existing thing. And even ifmany people nourish this soul in different ways doesn't mean that it is common sense that one of them is true. Maybe with your common sense you should be practicing all the religions.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:45 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That is because it already exists at a level like the light from a star only unmeasurable. As long as we continue to think, we produce more and more of our "starlight." Like starlight, it does not go anywhere, it remains within our reality. We clearly have different experiences of deep meditation. It took me over 18 years to achieve it while retaining conscious control. I wanted to be able to critically understand the experiences I had in altered states so I never relinquished conscious control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Unmeasurable existence? How would this be determined and/or demonstrated?
The way that dark energy and dark matter is determined and/or demonstrated - through indirect effects of their existence. It is like the indirect evidence of the existence of our unmeasurable consciousness.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
We know about the body, the mind and love. Soul may or may not exist hence not much common sense nourishing a non existing thing. And even if many people nourish this soul in different ways doesn't mean that it is common sense that one of them is true. Maybe with your common sense you should be practicing all the religions.
and we also know about the soul.

do you speak all languages?
do you cook and eat all foods from all over the world?
do you learn every profession, every trade to earn your living?

is there only one "true" language? no, they all communicate
is there only one "true" food? no of course not, there are regional foods for regional palates
is there only one "true" career? no of course not, they each bring in livelihood.

religion is a path to be in relationship with the Divine. the "true" one for you is the one that nourishes your heart's yearning to be in that relationship.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-28-2018 at 08:01 PM..

Old 05-28-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
do you speak all languages?
do you cook and eat all foods from all over the world?
do you learn every profession, every trade to earn your living?

is there only one "true" language? no, they all communicate
is there only one "true" food? no of course not, there are regional foods for regional palates
is there only one "true" career? no of course not, they each bring in livelihood.

religion is a path to be in relationship with the Divine. the "true" one is the one that nourishes your heart's yearning to be in that relationship.
Yes I agree that all religions are equally true and each is the one and only correct one.

There is only one science, and that is one that you so often think you know better.

So your God is different but no better or truer than the goddess of paganism?

Common sense tells me that people eat what is available in their region. It is not common sense that animals need food. Common sense tells us that people communicate with others. Research tells us the origins and spreading of languages. It does not need common sense to know that language is a form of commications. The trades and careers needs no common sense to know that there are jobs. Knowing that there are plenty of gods that do different things, have different rules and laws and even different numbers does not provide any reason to claim that common sense tells one there must be a God.

Maybe common sense is telling me that you are forcing stuff into your argument. Not very convincing

Old 05-28-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
There is only one science, and that is one that you so often think you know better.
huh?
i have no idea what this is saying

Old 05-28-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
huh?
i have no idea what this is saying
There is one science not a right wing and a left wing science, not an atheist science and a religious science. Yet you completely deny basic biology as taught in about grade two. Common sense tells me that if a person rejects the basic blocks of science they care not for any knowledge ot facts.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
There is one science not a right wing and a left wing science, not an atheist science and a religious science. Yet you completely deny basic biology as taught in about grade two. Common sense tells me that if a person rejects the basic blocks of science they care not for any knowledge ot facts.
science and religion are perfectly compatible.
just like cooking and auto repair are perfectly compatible.
just like art and calculus are perfectly compatible.

no one is rejecting science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality