U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-14-2018, 07:38 PM
 
3,288 posts, read 1,425,643 times
Reputation: 2399

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post

Those who choose not to believe in this philosophy are free to choose whatever suits their mindset and their situation. And I donít have an issue with it.
You dont have any issue with it, until some one says Jesus is God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2018, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
21,008 posts, read 9,818,788 times
Reputation: 19660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
So to speak, I find we have the ' book of creation ' surrounding us as described in Job chapters 37-38.
Who can better answer the questions there.

Inquiring minds want to know, and I find the best answers to life's questions are answered in God's Book ( Bible ) for us.
Having the earthly life account about Jesus in written form stays the same generation after generation until Jesus' coming glory time of Matthew 25:31-33.

Jesus painted a word picture for us at Matthew 24 and Luke 21 in connection to our day, our generation, to let us know why things are happening the way they are happening. We will soon see the fulfillment of 1st Thessalonians 5:2-3 when ' they ' (powers that be) will be saying, "Peace and Security" as the precursor to the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14 before Jesus, as Prince of Peace, ushers in global Peace on Earth among persons of goodwill.
I don't understand why we have to keep pointing this out -- all that mumbo jumbo means absolutely nothing to people who don't believe in god. No matter how many times you say, nor how well you say it by rote, it has no meaning other than to members of the club. And millions of people around the world choose not to be members of the club. We don't car about Job or Matthew or Luke or almost any other figures in the fictional book. We've heard it all before and we don't buy it. Some of us sat is pews week after week after month after year...and we just don't buy it. Period. If that's what you want to spout, you might as well go post in the Christian sub-forum, because to those of us who are atheists you are simply wasting your finger strokes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2018, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
14,734 posts, read 10,056,896 times
Reputation: 2518
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Occam's Razor - because Jesus never existed or was just a regular old human being. The supernatural acts and 'miracles' were just tall tales made up to increase the market share of a new religion. The entire Christian religion is based on marketing puffery like "under new management" or "new and improved formula" and a regular run of the mill human did not have the same ROI as a divine man-god.

I also find it strange that all of the documents and hard evidence of Jesus's existence and his supernatural existence all vanished into thin air leaving not a single trace. It find it all strangely coincidental that some DNA or other testable evidence was not left behind to test and potentially debunk. We all know that Jesus's DNA would have proven 100% that the myth of him being the progeny of a god was complete BS.

If you think rationally and can separate the religion aspect from the rest, you will quickly discover that the Bible has all the marks of a con man rap. A remarkable story meant to dazzle and distract while someone tries to lift a few bucks from your pocket. A bump on the sidewalk, a beautiful woman walking by at a strategic moment and a book of fairy tales that promise a one way trip to paradise are all designed to do one thing - trick you out of your cash.
Spot on! Can't rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'm pretty confident that no matter what he'd have left behind you'd find a reason to discount it and put up a smoke screen. Let's be honest...nothing is going to be good enough if you're biased against it.
Which is the Christian way of saying... 'I don't have anything to give you... other than evasion.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
That’s fine with me.
I would rather die with these thoughts in addition to be a believer to play it safe - just in case if there is God I have to face in the cosmic realms.
I ask you again... 'What if there is a god and it turns out it isn't the one you've been worshipping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 01:30 AM
 
Location: San Diego
774 posts, read 1,228,514 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
One of the things that non-believers, and even some of us believers are always going to question, is why do we just have a book left behind?
As somebody who is moderate theist and deep thinker, I would like everyone to be on the same page and facing the same unbiased judgement at the end of their time on Earth.
I don't believe that other Religions, ie non-Bible believers, or non-believers are doomed, nor should they be.
What are your thoughts?
It's a silly question, because religion doesn't need evidence. In fact, if there was conclusive evidence, it wouldn't be a religion. You'd call it something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 04:28 AM
 
37,293 posts, read 10,069,311 times
Reputation: 4962
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't understand why we have to keep pointing this out -- all that mumbo jumbo means absolutely nothing to people who don't believe in god. No matter how many times you say, nor how well you say it by rote, it has no meaning other than to members of the club. And millions of people around the world choose not to be members of the club. We don't car about Job or Matthew or Luke or almost any other figures in the fictional book. We've heard it all before and we don't buy it. Some of us sat is pews week after week after month after year...and we just don't buy it. Period. If that's what you want to spout, you might as well go post in the Christian sub-forum, because to those of us who are atheists you are simply wasting your finger strokes.
I sometimes wonder about this - no names -but the idea that it is effective to keep making the same plonking Faith -claims again and again to people who have already debunked them seems part of the Believer make up. It is a mechanism that I am familiar with but don't quite fathom.

It's obviously faith -based and So Obvious to them that it never occurs to them that it won't be Obvious to everyone else.

I won't go into the 'Rose -coloured glasses', the irony of the 'Blind leading the blind' and 'the words of this wizard stand on their heads' but the basic is that Faith screws up the mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 04:42 AM
 
37,293 posts, read 10,069,311 times
Reputation: 4962
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
It's a silly question, because religion doesn't need evidence. In fact, if there was conclusive evidence, it wouldn't be a religion. You'd call it something else.
You're playing the pseudo- intellectual asshat again. Tinkering about with definitions to try to wrongfoot the opposition. It's a grubby and ineffective lawyer -trick and will get you nowhere.

That said, of course you are right, if you take Religion to be a like -minded group of believers in a god or gods (or some invisible intelligent human -controlling entity - karma or Thetans) on Faith, then if you got hard evidence of it it would not be a religion by that definition but a scientifically validated fact.

This gets you nowhere as I said because it simply makes you define religion as something that by definition doesn't deserve credibility, and then you pretend that this is somehow to it's credit.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-15-2018 at 05:45 AM.. Reason: for freaks' sake, can I never type anything right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 05:37 AM
 
3,241 posts, read 1,015,067 times
Reputation: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
Knowing where you'll end up and controlling where you'll end up are two different things. He knows where you'll end up because of the choices you'll make just like I know that if you walk off a cliff, you'll fall to the ground.
But unlike you god can make the decision to allow me to be born knowing I will be tortured for all eternity.


Can you see the difference?


You mentioned the choices I will make. Donít you think if there was an omnigod that there will need to be some that have to make bad choices to make others make the correct choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 05:40 AM
 
Location: Florida
2,303 posts, read 550,233 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
But unlike you god can make the decision to allow me to be born knowing I will be tortured for all eternity.


Can you see the difference?
I'm just clearing up the claim that God controls whether you go to hell or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 05:46 AM
 
3,241 posts, read 1,015,067 times
Reputation: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
I'm just clearing up the claim that God controls whether you go to hell or not.
But you havenít cleared anything up.

God terminates pregnancies all the time and still permits humans IT KNOWS it will torture to be born.

Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 05:53 AM
 
Location: Florida
2,303 posts, read 550,233 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
But you havenít cleared anything up.

God terminates pregnancies all the time and still permits humans IT KNOWS it will torture to be born.

Why?
I can't explain it other than God giving us free will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top