U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 10:52 AM

4,301 posts, read 1,603,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There you go again.

Doing good works and avoiding bad works does not depend on there being a god.
It sort of does. Otherwise, you get into a gray area as to who decides what's good and what's bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 10:55 AM

4,301 posts, read 1,603,153 times
Quote:
Almost every time you post I think back to the film "Inherit The Wind" (which seems appropriate), and the scene where Matthew Harrison Brady says, "I do not think about things I do not think about".
Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

Old 05-15-2018, 11:10 AM

3,529 posts, read 1,526,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Or a cow is a God or rat is God or a half-man half-elephant is God, or a stone statue that cannot remove a fly from it's nose is a God, etc - All these entities are God to their followers, and I don't have an issue with that - I don't accept them as MY God.
I will start praying to the Hispanic pest control guy from now on. He does what God cannot do.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:55 AM

22,024 posts, read 10,255,435 times
Quote:
It sort of does. Otherwise, you get into a gray area as to who decides what's good and what's bad?
No it doesn't. There are plenty of wonderful people all over the world, including in countries that have virtually no Christian presence. And if you don't understand that, then you're downright ignorant about other cultures.

And even within Christianity there is no agreement as to what is good or bad. If there was such agreement, there would be churches of about twenty different denominations within 5 miles of my house. You guys don't agree on much of any substance or you wouldn't divide yourselves up in little club houses with different rules.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:56 AM

22,024 posts, read 10,255,435 times
Quote:

Old 05-15-2018, 12:13 PM

16,148 posts, read 7,591,670 times
Quote:
Ya gotta know what it is all about.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:02 PM

13,511 posts, read 5,449,006 times
It would be pretty impressive to see a god move a mountain in real time.

Then again, I would be inclined to think, “maybe it was Aliens.”

Old 05-15-2018, 01:35 PM

38,691 posts, read 10,647,188 times
Quote:
Well, We do, obviously, and that includes the Believers, otherwise who decided what God hath commanded is good and deserves praise and which is bad and had to be blamed on someone else?

Quote:
Depends whom you ask. The atheist view is that everything is open to question. The theist view is that some areas are off -limits to doubt and question. In my view, that's a bad thing.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:39 PM

38,691 posts, read 10,647,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It would be pretty impressive to see a god move a mountain in real time.

Then again, I would be inclined to think, “maybe it was Aliens.”
Don't tell the Theists but, If we found God's signature in a glacier, Slartibarftfast style, I'd want to know when it was faked.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:23 PM

650 posts, read 571,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
God believed he was God so that meant he could do miracles?
I don't know what you believe. But I believe that God can do miracles. I believe when Jesus was on earth with his disciples, they were pessimistic at who He was and the claims that he made. He had to convince them that he was real and not a phony. Once he got the belief where it needed to be, He could move on to other things with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality