U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-31-2019, 06:56 PM
 
39,766 posts, read 26,587,259 times
Reputation: 6027

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Why is Buddha not God (Avatar of God, the personality of God) if God is neither confirmed nor denied?

Buddha was fully human, yes. But Buddha could also be fully God if God is neither confirmed nor denied.
Because Gautama wanted a complete end to karma and samsara. He didn't trust ANY permanent entity to not somehow start samsara all over again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2019, 08:54 PM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,956 posts, read 4,712,354 times
Reputation: 1326
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Because Gautama wanted a complete end to karma and samsara. He didn't trust ANY permanent entity to not somehow start samsara all over again.
Trust is earned, trust is correctly/mistakenly given, trust is investigated from previous actions.

karma and samsara? What are the effects and what is the closed cycle?

Whatever happened to the end of suffering, "dukkha"? The end of the misfitting, the end of the imperfection?

It seems that one Brahmin priest, wayward spirit, or another distracted Gautama's message along the way to many people, perhaps even his very students.

All entities are interdependent and inconstant in their action/effects, flow, and change. Thus, there are no truly permanent entities nor could there ever have been. You were not a "permanent" entity when you were 1 year old. You won't be a "permanent" entity when you are 1 second from your last breath. You won't be a permanent entity an infinite number of years from now.

Unless one is willing to accept an infinite regress and illogical jump with anthropomorphic strokes. But one might as well then accept something even grander and even further beyond grander than that.

Thus, having accepted that if existing, then Vishnu and Yahweh are either inconstant or bloody liars, one must ask if there would be a reason to trust ANY entity that was capable to allow mistakes before, to not allow them again if given a large amount of time.

If this decision/indecision is perfect to Imagined-Power-Ultimate, why would it not be perfect again?

"perfectly puposeful mistakes that will perfectly soon enough be fixed"
is the answer a lot of religious people have clinged to like flies to rotting fruit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2019, 09:22 PM
 
4,312 posts, read 1,605,328 times
Reputation: 1459
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
The hypocrite Atheist philosophy is very hypocrite. Just like the Monotheist one. Just like the Polytheist one. For in each of these three, there are MANY and contradicting.
All enemies at each other's throats. All enemies of that which is good.

Blowing each other up for Political Power, for Resources, for Revenge
for "Need," for "smart," for "right."

A rock cannot talk about "evil" but a human can. Yes, really.

You see, "evil" is that which is not "neutral," more/worse than "bad", and ignorant/destructive of "good."

Remove all of the false, destructive, blood-lusting, anti-statue-freedom, anti-free-secular-education, anti-free-thought gods...
...and there the above 4 "judgments" (and more) remain.

So indeed any imaginary heavenly politics, do not automatically usurp my exact grounded ones, even if the enemies of good merely wish to imagine them to, so as to convince themselves that their evil is justified, and is thus good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post


Evil is not a religious concept.
No.
Look at this way, so you know how, consciously or unconsciously, you ignored the hypocrisy in Atheism.


Evil is a supernatural force which is wicked.

How can the Atheists believe in the existence of “evil” when they don’t believe in God because their is no evidence of God?

You better have a verifiable, repeatable, tangible, scientific concrete, sound and hard evidence of the existence of “evil”.

Try to focus on the term, - “evil = a supernatural force” - that you are believing in it’s existence without any evidence - and hopefully your hypocrisy will be exposed to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2019, 04:51 AM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
11,114 posts, read 10,942,489 times
Reputation: 7381
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
No.
Look at this way, so you know how, consciously or unconsciously, you ignored the hypocrisy in Atheism.


Evil is a supernatural force which is wicked.

How can the Atheists believe in the existence of “evil” when they don’t believe in God because their is no evidence of God?

You better have a verifiable, repeatable, tangible, scientific concrete, sound and hard evidence of the existence of “evil”.

Try to focus on the term, - “evil = a supernatural force” - that you are believing in it’s existence without any evidence - and hopefully your hypocrisy will be exposed to you.
I don't know where you came up with that stuff. Evil is the antithesis of good. That does not require a supernatural force.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2019, 04:58 AM
 
4,197 posts, read 2,568,470 times
Reputation: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I don't know where you came up with that stuff. Evil is the antithesis of good. That does not require a supernatural force.
Don't eat that chicken! It's been sitting out all day, it's probably gone evil. Same thing with milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2019, 06:48 AM
Status: "Pr 6:16-19, JeffBase!" (set 13 days ago)
 
Location: Germany
4,775 posts, read 889,683 times
Reputation: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
No.
Look at this way, so you know how, consciously or unconsciously, you ignored the hypocrisy in Atheism.


Evil is a supernatural force which is wicked.

How can the Atheists believe in the existence of “evil” when they don’t believe in God because their is no evidence of God?

You better have a verifiable, repeatable, tangible, scientific concrete, sound and hard evidence of the existence of “evil”.

Try to focus on the term, - “evil = a supernatural force” - that you are believing in it’s existence without any evidence - and hopefully your hypocrisy will be exposed to you.
So Hitler was not evil, he was just a very naughty boy?

Try and focus on these two terms, "language evolves through common use" and "straw man fallacies are bad".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2019, 09:42 AM
 
445 posts, read 84,358 times
Reputation: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
No.
Look at this way, so you know how, consciously or unconsciously, you ignored the hypocrisy in Atheism.


Evil is a supernatural force which is wicked.

How can the Atheists believe in the existence of “evil” when they don’t believe in God because their is no evidence of God?

You better have a verifiable, repeatable, tangible, scientific concrete, sound and hard evidence of the existence of “evil”.

Try to focus on the term, - “evil = a supernatural force” - that you are believing in it’s existence without any evidence - and hopefully your hypocrisy will be exposed to you.
I am really confused by this post. Are you saying that atheists believe "evil is a supernatural force"... which would be hypocritical if they deny other supernatural forces?

Or are you saying that YOU believe evil is a supernatural force?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2019, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
22,055 posts, read 10,266,157 times
Reputation: 20101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I don't know where you came up with that stuff. Evil is the antithesis of good. That does not require a supernatural force.
I agree.

One dictionary definition says, "profound immorality and wickedness, especially when regarded as a supernatural force", but the first half of the statement is the key point, with the second half being an addendum of sorts.

I do think it is a word that is used too often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2019, 01:30 PM
 
39,766 posts, read 26,587,259 times
Reputation: 6027
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I don't know where you came up with that stuff. Evil is the antithesis of good. That does not require a supernatural force.
I agree but it only exists with respect to willful human actions, IMO. Accidents or disasters cannot be evil, per se, only human actions or inactions in response to them.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 04-03-2019 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2019, 01:58 PM
 
3,530 posts, read 1,107,378 times
Reputation: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I agree but it only exists with respect to willful human actions, IOM. Accidents or disasters cannot be evil, per se, only human actions or inactions in response to them.
Doesn't god have a master plan mystic?

If it does then how do you know that some evil disaster or accident isn't a part of it's plan?


Can man foil god plan?

Last edited by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15; 04-03-2019 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top