U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 03:29 PM

37,293 posts, read 10,069,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Hi Gldn,
A very successful marketer pointed out that you cannot reach someone where they ARE by pointing out that where they are is mythological BS, crap, or other pejoratives. As a matter of fact, our own Tzaph goes out of her way to point that out to me repeatedly. I am beginning to see the light. We have to reach people where they ARE not where we think they ought to be. It is something Gaylen and I have been struggling to do in my thread. Glad to see you posting, my friend.
Go to it old mate. If you come up with anything good we want to hear it. If we debunk anything unsound, neither you nor your disciple will listen, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 04:35 PM

1,839 posts, read 1,752,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Man is not capable of agape love.
This is how man is able to receive it:

"The only way in which the soul may become an inhabitant of the celestial spheres, is by its obtaining of the Divine Love and thereby become a partaker of the Divine Nature of the Father, and this can be accomplished only by the inflowing of the Divine Love by means of the operation of the Holy Spirit, which is the instrumentality used by God to carry this Love to the souls of men. This Love never forces itself into the souls of men, and comes only when men seek for it in sincerity and with effort. It is waiting for all men to receive it, but never comes into the soul of its own initiative and without invitation. So the important question is: 'How does it come into the soul, and what must men do to induce its inflowing?'"

How the Divine Love enters into the soul of a human being, Jesus, 5.8.1916.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:43 PM

15,917 posts, read 7,395,496 times
Quote:
You didn't address anything related to disproving the natural world.
No, I addressed "proof" and mentiond something that shows "evidence" IMO. Perhaps if I had any idea what you meant I would do a better job.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
"I'm never so stupid as when I'm being smart" (Linus van Pelt).

Of course, I was thinking Luke was confirming his Gospel rather than Jesus giving his own version. That said, I maintain that the Bethlehem nativity is not true, either in Matthew's or Luke's version, and that's why I reject these spirit messages, as I did years ago and have done since.

Sorry, but I have to respond to the claim. Anyone who prefers to believe then rather than believe me, if free to do so. So he denies the Lucan story. I must have just Glanced at it without reading it properly. Sorry.
Well, so why do you not believe it's true? Just curious.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:51 PM

3,803 posts, read 2,466,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No, I addressed "proof" and mentiond something that shows "evidence" IMO. Perhaps if I had any idea what you meant I would do a better job.
How do you define 'the natural world'?

Last edited by gabfest; 05-13-2018 at 05:00 PM..

Old 05-13-2018, 04:55 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,801,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Cracking post, Raffs.

Yes. History and science increasing undermines more and more of the Bible. The Flood isn't believable. Two by two may support a shelf of books but not a genetically healthy species. The Nativity has a ten year date -discrepancy, and Pilate is nothing like the Gospel appeaser.

That's a very good post. You reason fine (apart from ignoring that it's all reasons to assume there Is no God) until you opt for Islam as the Right one. It may be right for you, but if you've followed the Three Big Debate -threads on Islam (1) you may understand why it isn't going to be right for anyone else.

(1) "Write another like it" "Professor says all Abrahamic religions are the same" and "Unquestionable evidences"
The Flood, and a lot of OT stories are not believable, they are more or less fables or parables but with an important message behind them.
Even in the Catholic school system, Genesis and a lot of the OT are taught as probable story-telling now.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:58 PM

3,803 posts, read 2,466,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
This is how man is able to receive it:

"The only way in which the soul may become an inhabitant of the celestial spheres, is by its obtaining of the Divine Love and thereby become a partaker of the Divine Nature of the Father, and this can be accomplished only by the inflowing of the Divine Love by means of the operation of the Holy Spirit, which is the instrumentality used by God to carry this Love to the souls of men. This Love never forces itself into the souls of men, and comes only when men seek for it in sincerity and with effort. It is waiting for all men to receive it, but never comes into the soul of its own initiative and without invitation. So the important question is: 'How does it come into the soul, and what must men do to induce its inflowing?'"

How the Divine Love enters into the soul of a human being, Jesus, 5.8.1916.
Sounds similar to self-actualization.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:18 PM

24,961 posts, read 12,914,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
The Flood, and a lot of OT stories are not believable, they are more or less fables or parables but with an important message behind them.
Even in the Catholic school system, Genesis and a lot of the OT are taught as probable story-telling now.
It was taught as allegory in the Catholic school system in Canada in the 1950s. Not "probable." Definite.

I disagree with much of Catholicism but they have a much healthier attitude towards "scripture" than Christian fundies. Unlike bible-thumpers, who swallow it wholesale, Catholics, Anglicans (and their American kin, the rascally Episcopalians) and other liberal Christian denominations, sift the bible for wisdom and know the difference between myth and reality.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Sounds similar to self-actualization.
It's one way to achieve it.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:54 PM

15,917 posts, read 7,395,496 times
Quote:
How do you define 'the natural world'?
I'm supposed to supply a definition for YOUR question? No thanks. If you can't give a coherent meaning for elements of your own question we'll just drop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality