U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-13-2018, 08:01 PM
 
3,803 posts, read 2,466,524 times
Reputation: 536

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I'm supposed to supply a definition for YOUR question? No thanks. If you can't give a coherent meaning for elements of your own question we'll just drop it.
At least you accomplished your goal to insult without provocation.
Please don't waste anymore time with my posts...keep calm and keep spreading that agape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2018, 08:02 PM
 
37,293 posts, read 10,069,311 times
Reputation: 4962
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Well, so why do you not believe it's true? Just curious.
The two accounts contradicts and do not make sense historically. Just for starters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2018, 09:14 PM
 
4,088 posts, read 1,500,634 times
Reputation: 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

See above.
Not sure if Budhism relates to OP as Budhism does not seem to worry too much about proof and evidence of God’s existence. The OP seems to relate to Abrahamic faiths but please do enlighten us in a short summary.

Is there a concept of God in Budhism who created you?
If yes, what’s the purpose of your life that budhist God created you for ?
If you know the purpose of your creation by the Budhist God, how did the message of your God came to you? Through “a book” or by verbal Chinese gossip?
And finally, in Budhism, what’s after death?

Where you came from, what’s the purpose of your life, and where are you going from here? Plz answer in the light of Buddhism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2018, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
21,008 posts, read 9,818,788 times
Reputation: 19660
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Not sure if Budhism relates to OP as Budhism does not seem to worry too much about proof and evidence of God’s existence. The OP seems to relate to Abrahamic faiths but please do enlighten us in a short summary.

Is there a concept of God in Budhism who created you?

First off, in Buddhism there's not really a you must believe in this philosophy. I think most Buddhists (and most monks that I know) would say that we can't know about god, so we're not going to worry about what we can't figure out.

If yes, what’s the purpose of your life that budhist God created you for ?

There is no Buddhist god.

If you know the purpose of your creation by the Budhist God, how did the message of your God came to you? Through “a book” or by verbal Chinese gossip?

And finally, in Budhism, what’s after death?

There are Buddhist hells and heavens, though they are not permanent. And, rebirth suggests that you keep being reborn until you reach a stage of perfection (nirvanna).

Where you came from, what’s the purpose of your life, and where are you going from here? Plz answer in the light of Buddhism.

Do you mean me personally? I'm retired now, but for 35 years the purpose of my life was to teach (and later administer) kids and improve their lives through education. It had nothing to do with religion. It had to do with the example other people set for me (favorite teachers).

See above.

But, just for the sake of discussion...let's say you're completely wrong and there is no god. Does that mean the meaning in your life will simply evaporate?


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2018, 11:33 PM
 
4,088 posts, read 1,500,634 times
Reputation: 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

See above.

But, just for the sake of discussion...let's say you're completely wrong and there is no god. Does that mean the meaning in your life will simply evaporate?



When you state that Budhism has no God then it pretty much makes all of your responses in your post # 8, irrelevant. It's because points in my post # 5 were only relevant with the assumption that there IS a God.

So we don't have much to discuss on the topic of OP.


To answer your question,
Say I die and find out that I am completely wrong and there is no God.

In such case, I am still completely satisfied to have lived a good life where I cared for my family and friends, I cared for people around me, I tried to help people within my means, I tried to live a balanced life where I restricted myself from the ills of alcohol, drugs. I tried to saved resources and did whatever I could to help our environment, I tried to speak truth and lived a relatively clean life and worked hard to make an honest living by abiding laws of the land where I lived, I respected all other faiths, and enjoyed a good time all along - satisfied and contempt - ALL because of guidance provided by a God that supposedly did not exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2018, 12:15 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
21,008 posts, read 9,818,788 times
Reputation: 19660
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
When you state that Budhism has no God then it pretty much makes all of your responses in your post # 8, irrelevant. It's because points in my post # 5 were only relevant with the assumption that there IS a God.

So we don't have much to discuss on the topic of OP.


To answer your question,
Say I die and find out that I am completely wrong and there is no God.

In such case, I am still completely satisfied to have lived a good life where I cared for my family and friends, I cared for people around me, I tried to help people within my means, I tried to live a balanced life where I restricted myself from the ills of alcohol, drugs. I tried to saved resources and did whatever I could to help our environment, I tried to speak truth and lived a relatively clean life and worked hard to make an honest living by abiding laws of the land where I lived, I respected all other faiths, and enjoyed a good time all along - satisfied and contempt - ALL because of guidance provided by a God that supposedly did not exist.
And all of those things are done by people who are atheists, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2018, 12:17 AM
 
4,088 posts, read 1,500,634 times
Reputation: 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And all of those things are done by people who are atheists, as well.
Which is a good thing and fine by me.
I hope it answers the question. I guess I can perhaps also say that I am playing a safe game.

The same question is on you now, what if you find out that you were wrong and in fact there IS a God out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2018, 04:58 AM
 
3,241 posts, read 1,015,067 times
Reputation: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Which is a good thing and fine by me.
I hope it answers the question. I guess I can perhaps also say that I am playing a safe game.

The same question is on you now, what if you find out that you were wrong and in fact there IS a God out there?
If there IS a god, that knows everything including if I am going to heaven or hell before I am born, what difference would it make if omnigod has me slated for hell?

Nothing I can do to change omnigods mind, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2018, 05:14 AM
 
37,293 posts, read 10,069,311 times
Reputation: 4962
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I'm supposed to supply a definition for YOUR question? No thanks. If you can't give a coherent meaning for elements of your own question we'll just drop it.
That what we prefer to do when theists ask us to define God. That's really for the other side to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Which is a good thing and fine by me.
I hope it answers the question. I guess I can perhaps also say that I am playing a safe game.

The same question is on you now, what if you find out that you were wrong and in fact there IS a God out there?
In fact the same thing applies (which is why I consider Buddhism at least a quasi -theism- karma has to be able to evaluate good or bad deeds) and no god deserving of a scrap of respect would send you to any hell for the best life you could do, and if you were to reason you way to seeing that religions are man made and so are their gods, no god worthy of the title could other than commend you for using the brain that evolution provided you with.

This is why Pascal's wager (in the "What if you're wrong?" form) fails and the and the reverse wager or 'atheist afterlife' works. Best bet is on living as if there was no god and this life and your best efforts were all that mattered, as if there is an afterlife, we all get it no matter what, and if there is a creator, no one religion is selling entry tickets to it's afterlife.

P.s you'll notice I carefully say It, not He. Right from the start, considering Sortagod in the teen years, it was utterly obvious that assigning a gender to the cosmic mover was at best pointless and at worst, disgraceful.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-14-2018 at 05:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2018, 05:22 AM
 
37,293 posts, read 10,069,311 times
Reputation: 4962
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
When you state that Budhism has no God then it pretty much makes all of your responses in your post # 8, irrelevant. It's because points in my post # 5 were only relevant with the assumption that there IS a God.

So we don't have much to discuss on the topic of OP.


To answer your question,
Say I die and find out that I am completely wrong and there is no God.

In such case, I am still completely satisfied to have lived a good life where I cared for my family and friends, I cared for people around me, I tried to help people within my means, I tried to live a balanced life where I restricted myself from the ills of alcohol, drugs. I tried to saved resources and did whatever I could to help our environment, I tried to speak truth and lived a relatively clean life and worked hard to make an honest living by abiding laws of the land where I lived, I respected all other faiths, and enjoyed a good time all along - satisfied and contempt - ALL because of guidance provided by a God that supposedly did not exist.
Then you have done the best anyone could ask, inclusing atheists. Especially if you finally were to come to an understanding that, whether there is a creator -god or not (probably not) man -made religions are just that.

If your question was related to Buddhism. What quasi - divine entity could find any great fault with you and send you to the Buddhist hell? No, a 1,000 years of 5 -star accommodation, top quality green curries and dancing girls (or whatever) is what you'll merit. What you'll actually get is best answered "Don't know".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top