Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 07:34 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
What is "reality" and what is the "truth"? You tell me.
You apparently have no experience with truth and reality so you will need to take it on faith they exist and you aren’t Interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 07:43 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboom View Post
More evidence would be wonderful. If i was god, i would at least make an appearance every century that could serve as irrefutable evidence that i do indeed exist. With satan being here everyday, i dont think that would be unfair. Oftentimes, i cant help but feel as though we ALL have it wrong. Perhaps that is true. Since i cannot imagine there is no creator, the questionable evidence left behind and the way in which we have seemingly been left here to fend amongst ourselves bewilders me.
I think that's what a lot of we atheists think.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:45 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,082,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree with you that faith is not fact. And, as I have said before, my only problem with faith -- which can be a force for good -- is when the faithful can't tell the difference between faith and fact.

Your second paragraph is interesting, because it is incontradiction to several other christian posters here who are always talking about the extremely strong evidence -- or even facts -- they provide here. Except, in reality, what they're providing is not strong evidence...it's really faith. And accepting "signs" -- for many of us -- is not good enough. How are your signs different than the signs Hindus accept? Or Muslims accept? Or even voodoo practitioners accept (and I'm actually being serious about voodoo signs)?

No one here on the atheist is asking for something that every person on earth would accept as evidence of god. We all know how people are. But there is little that people accept on faith alone. I just sold and bought a house. I didn't rely on faith in any way for that transaction. But you want me/us to accept on faith the most important question man has ever asked. I'm sorry, but I won't buy that. I did for many years, but there have been too many broken promises to accept that. Too many vague "if" statements.

But I will compliment you. Unlike a couple of our angry posters, you wrote a post that I felt was serious enough, and good-intentioned enough to take real time responding to.
I think this is the main purpose of this forum. We should be able to openly discuss our believes and our ideas with the intention of exchanging information and trying to better understand each other. However, as we know, it doesn't always happen. We get into a hosing down contest which leads to nowhere.

So getting back to the top, I would like to respond to two of your points.
First, the green text above.

The keyword here is "transaction".
First, you had a need/want to buy and/or sell the house.

Then you did your research and you made a decision. The transaction happened (the house was either sold or bought), and you knew whether you made a bad or a good deal, after this transaction happened.

You also had a choice to NOT make these transactions.

Now lets try to compare this very basic scenario of our daily lives with theological faith.
In matters of theological faith,
One feels the need/want to find God.
Then he performs his research and makes a decision.

The challenge here is, the TRANSACTION has NOT happened yet - so he doesn't know whether his decision/choice was right or wrong?

IMO, the event of our death, is that TRANSACTION that has to happened before we know whether our decision on theological faith was right or wrong?

It's like, you did all your research and you don't sell the house but you believe you made $50,000 in profit by selling the house, AND you don't buy the house but you believe you bought a house $50,000 below it's market value- and you say that I made the right decision.

Apparently, in matters of theological faith, we don't have a choice to STOP that transaction from happening. The event of death is unstoppable.

So until that transaction happens, we can only wait and we shall probably see.

Second point; how are my signs different from Hindusim or whatever ism.

This is where our own intelligence, logic and research comes into play. These 3 factors vary from person to person.
There is no compulsion upon anyone; however, in my opinion it requires bravery and honesty because our brains do the intelligence, logic and research part, but the call to faith comes from the heart. So once one receives that call to faith from the honesty of his heart, he should be brave enough to stand with what he believes in the truth.

And then again, that "transaction" that is has been forced upon us, WILL happen, and it will probably reveal the truth.

And that's why I always say, we should make wise choices because in the end, we shall be responsible for our choices.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
You apparently have no experience with truth and reality so you will need to take it on faith they exist and you aren’t Interested.
Probably true.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:56 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,319,539 times
Quote:
"Evil" in a sense is the antonym of "God".
If God doesn't exist then how can Evil exist?

And hence, technically speaking, there should be no "evil" no "God" and no "bad" and no "good" that should exist in the mind of an Atheist.
Evil is a description not an entity. There is no, at least in my mind, a source that is driving people to do evil things. Only some people do such terrible things that bad is not a strong enough word for that. Terrible might be better so instead of calling a serial killer evil we can call him terrible.

You might as well say that blue could not exist, or fun, or sex or tall. You clearly do not understand outside your religious worldview. In the mind of an atheist adverbs and adjectives do exist. Value judgements and the use common words do exist.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Evil is a description not an entity. There is no, at least in my mind, a source that is driving people to do evil things. Only some people do such terrible things that bad is not a strong enough word for that. Terrible might be better so instead of calling a serial killer evil we can call him terrible.

You might as well say that blue could not exist, or fun, or sex or tall. You clearly do not understand outside your religious worldview. In the mind of an atheist adverbs and adjectives do exist. Value judgements and the use common words do exist.
Well, glad to know that you know better.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:32 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Perhaps , in order to get away from the remotest connection with religious connotations, a substitute like despicable should be used

Old 04-10-2019, 02:03 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,578 times
Quote:
Thats that reality and truth thing

Old 04-10-2019, 07:06 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
God is within everyone - what more evidence does one need?
Just pay attention.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:32 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
God is within everyone - what more evidence does one need?
Just pay attention.
That's perfectly fine for you to beleive. Many of us do not. It has nothing to do with paying attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality