U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2018, 08:21 PM

5,411 posts, read 2,082,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Golf was my main "hobby" and for some reason I lost the ability to golf last Summer and it's as bad this Summer I am finding out.

I couldn't figure it out - still can't figure it out - I thought I finally figured out that the astronomical amount of Neurontin I was "upped" to physiologically changed me, but I'm totally at a loss at this point since I stopped Neurontin entirely almost a month ago now and I am not improving.

I can't articulate what's going on with me but physically I feel weaker than I ever have.

I finally got sober and now I feel like I'm physically deteriorating. I've seen physicians; I've seen therapists and so on. No one has an answer. No one can give me an answer.

My physical state is such that I honestly might walk away from the one thing keeping me alive (my job) and just saying to hell with it. Right now I am trying to take it one day at a time but there isn't much keeping me here.
Maybe volunteer with a group where you can take some kids to mini golf. You may need some lightness and fun right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 08:22 PM

2,149 posts, read 719,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I find Jesus ' words at Matthew 5:5 to be the ' grand prize ' because Jesus taught from the old Hebrew Scriptures and Matthew 5:5 connects to Psalm 37:9-11 that the humble meek people will inherit the Earth.

True, those like those of Luke 22:28-30 are offered heaven, but the majority of mankind ( John 3:13 ) are offered Earth.
Just as Adam was offered everlasting life on a beautiful paradisical Earth as long as he kept God's law.
So, Jesus, as Prince of Peace, will usher in global Peace on Earth among persons of goodwill.
That is a reason why we are all invited to pray the invitation found at Rev. 22:20 for Jesus to come !
Come and fulfill God's promise found at Revelation 22:2 that there will be 'healing' for earth's nations when mankind will see the return of the Genesis ' tree of life ' for the healing of earth's nations.
Religious nonsense.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:32 PM

15,516 posts, read 8,430,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
So, you deny that religions effect ones importance of this life past finding salvation? I was a Christian for more than 35 years jimmiej, I know the ropes. You are clearly being disengenuous on this.
Yes, I deny that and Iíve been a Christian for 50 years.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:47 PM

2,149 posts, read 719,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Yes, I deny that and I’ve been a Christian for 50 years.
Hogwash. I guess when you go to a funeral, it is not emphasized that the dead went to a better place and we should rejoice. The reality is that deep down everyone questions their belief and mourns death as final. I'm betting that if the religious were fully convinced that life was finite and over at death, they would far more guard and treasure this life, especially that of their young adults going to war.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:53 PM

2,636 posts, read 727,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Do you have a support system? From what you've told me you are doing everything you can right now to solve this. It might take some more time but keep at the doctor. I noticed in another post you said that death might be coming for you. Do you feel a sense of impending doom?
Physically I am weak...weaker. Something. My coordination seems to be off. I'm in my late 30s, played golf and played it reasonably well for the better part of the last 20 years. Then all of a sudden my coordination and muscle strength seemed to disappear.

I had an "aha" moment earlier this year and put together the fact that last year my Neurontin dose was upped...so now that I stopped it and haven't been on it for a month now, and I don't think I'm improving, I don't know what the heck is going on anymore.

Impending doom?...I don't know. Some days are okay...some nights aren't so great. I still work and I don't want to lose the job but if I continue to feel like crud and no one can figure it out I don't know what to do.

I have a "list" of things I want/need to do around my father's house but I can hardly work up the motivation to get off the couch most days.

I've been tested for STDs, Lime disease, probably some other stuff. I don't know what the heck is going on.

I am going to be a beggar on the street...and probably it would serve me right since I was a horrible person most of my life. Karma, as one of my friends once said. Karma. Maybe that's what this is all about.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:54 PM

15,516 posts, read 8,430,661 times
Quote:
Hogwash. I guess when you go to a funeral, it is not emphasized that the dead went to a better place and we should rejoice. The reality is that deep down everyone questions their belief and mourns death as final. I'm betting that if the religious were fully convinced that life was finite and over at death, they would far more guard and treasure this life, especially that of their young adults going to war.
Sure, we believe in Heaven and look forward to seeing loved ones again. However, it is not to the point that we easily dismiss the loss of anyone. This life is full of opportunity to serve God and our fellow-man.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:55 PM

2,636 posts, read 727,589 times
Quote:
The wars America has been in in the last 70 (heck, almost ALL of our existence) have been globalist schemes.

Like I said, that's a different topic and probably only allowed in P&OC

Old 05-28-2018, 08:55 PM

7,989 posts, read 3,549,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Wrong.

If death is simply blankness then life becomes even more precious and worth savouring.
Then why do atheists waste their precious seconds in fruitless online debates with Christians? If I believed that then I would make sure every second was filled with as much excitement and joy as possible.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:56 PM

1,605 posts, read 1,552,801 times
Quote:
Why bother with anything in this life? EVERYTHING is meaningless, right?

Isn't it?

If it just goes blank/dark/black when we die...what does anything matter?
It doesn't if that is the case. People will try to come up with something, but ultimately it really doesn't matter. There is absolutely no point then. Once you get to your deathbed--which will happen VERY quickly--all the happiness, philanthropy, posterity, whatever it is you thought meant something, that you turned into the meaning for you in life, will be over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Why would anything be meaningless in this life if there is no afterlife? That is probably the most insane concept I hear from believers.

Why do a good job at work if you are just going to retire some day anyway? Why eat if you will just get hungry tommorrow anyways? Why read a book if you are just going to finish it and the story will be over?

How sad it must be if the only meaning in one's life is the belief that there is some sort of afterlife?

My mother is 90 and still pretty active. She recently moved and has made lots of new friends. She has children, grandchildren and great grand kids and siblings. She worked much of her life and got great pleasure from those jobs. Because of my dad's disability pension from being badly injured on Juno Beach June 6 1944, she was still able to travel even after my father died.

OP, as my mother is a non believer please explain how her life could be meaningless to either her or all of us who know her? How could she possibly have meaning in her life only if she believed in an afterlife? Yours may be a totally cold and cruel attitude you have towards those who do not share your belief.
Yes, it has meaning for us who are living at that moment. What I'm talking about is meaning that lasts, endures. Life is over in a very short while. Talk to anyone who is up in age and they'll say it all went by too fast. I'm probably half-way done with my life and it just doesn't seem real that all that time went by so quickly.

So life does have meaning for us, but we are going to be non-existent in a short while, so that doesn't really mean anything. And if the purpose in life is to enjoy it, then what about those who are living in dreadful circumstances such as starving to death or being tortured or something awful where there's no hope for something better in a reasonable amount of time. Or suppose one day I get into a terrible accident and lose the use of all my limbs or sight or something really terrible. What would be the point in going on living then? I don't see any reason for it really. Personally if something like that happened to me and I did not believe there was anything after this, I would try to find a way to end my life. And I really do believe that is the most logical and practical thing you can do.

Last edited by Basiliximab; 05-28-2018 at 09:05 PM..

Old 05-28-2018, 09:17 PM

5,575 posts, read 1,809,915 times
Quote:
Physically I am weak...weaker. Something. My coordination seems to be off. I'm in my late 30s, played golf and played it reasonably well for the better part of the last 20 years. Then all of a sudden my coordination and muscle strength seemed to disappear.

I had an "aha" moment earlier this year and put together the fact that last year my Neurontin dose was upped...so now that I stopped it and haven't been on it for a month now, and I don't think I'm improving, I don't know what the heck is going on anymore.

Impending doom?...I don't know. Some days are okay...some nights aren't so great. I still work and I don't want to lose the job but if I continue to feel like crud and no one can figure it out I don't know what to do.

I have a "list" of things I want/need to do around my father's house but I can hardly work up the motivation to get off the couch most days.

I've been tested for STDs, Lime disease, probably some other stuff. I don't know what the heck is going on.

I am going to be a beggar on the street...and probably it would serve me right since I was a horrible person most of my life. Karma, as one of my friends once said. Karma. Maybe that's what this is all about.
No. You've been through a lot just in the little bit you've told me. You don't deserve to feel like this. You didn't earn all that pain. You matter and are loved.

I can relate to some of the fatigue and loss of purpose. I can also relate to not being able to do things I used to be good at like reading. I've had to retrain myself all over again after the reset. I have a great support system though so even if I try and isolate I can't ever be alone. Did anyone warn you against our tendency to isolate? Something else is going on to be sure besides the second year lost and wandering but you are under a doctors care so hopefully that part of it gets sorted out.

Also you are learning other self soothing techniques besides getting drunk. That is rough all by itself. Sometimes a person just has to sit with it until they figure out a healthy way to cope. Talking it out, like you are, it a great coping skill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or