U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 12:29 PM

2,636 posts, read 726,719 times

Advertisements

I think since my mother died, I started looking at everything differently.

The way she went - the way people all have kind of moved on, the way I saw my father give up on life, it kind of made me think, is that all this "life" is all about?

Nothing has any meaning? Why bother golfing? It's stupid. Why watch my pro sports teams? They aren't that relevant.

Why give a **** about anything?

I'm conflicted - I was raised Protestant, so I am in between believing and honestly not knowing why I am even here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 12:50 PM

5,411 posts, read 2,081,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post

The way she went - the way people all have kind of moved on, the way I saw my father give up on life, it kind of made me think, is that all this "life" is all about?

Nothing has any meaning? Why bother golfing? It's stupid. Why watch my pro sports teams? They aren't that relevant.

I'm conflicted - I was raised Protestant, so I am in between believing and honestly not knowing why I am even here.
That is not an uncommon feeling from the lost of a parent. I never got that when my father died almost 2 decades ago nor from the lost of my wifeís parents hence I can only try to empathize with you without any actual experience. Would your mother have wanted you to give up on yourself or life, or even something as mundane as golf? Yes golf is studio which is why I only play a couple times a year if that. That it is stupid and I sick at it. ☺

I truly hope that you can overcome this and that others can give you better advice that I would be able to do.

Old 05-27-2018, 01:08 PM

7,541 posts, read 1,871,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Perhaps the OP meant, there is no right or wrong if itís a void after death.
And this argument actually has some weight in it.
Yes, there is definitely some weight if this is the case.

Ive read a number of NDEs, where the people claim they are in a black void, no light, sound, nothing around, they said it felt like they were paralyzed (no body or limbs), and it was basically just their own consciousness in a black void, many said they began to panic, and a few said in just a short amount of time in a place like this, you start to question if you ever existed or if it was an illusion, its some really scary stuff to consider!!

But the question is relevant, what is right or wrong if this is what the afterlife is like? What difference does it make then?

Old 05-27-2018, 01:09 PM

19,773 posts, read 9,331,679 times
Quote:

Are you Peggy Lee?

Old 05-27-2018, 01:40 PM

1,840 posts, read 666,380 times
Quote:
Why bother with anything in this life? EVERYTHING is meaningless, right?
Wrong. Frankly, and I'm going to be blunt - that's a really dumb idea.

Why enjoy time spent with one of your children, or bounce a grandchild on your knee?
Why enjoy good cheer with friends?
Why enjoy lovemaking with a special someone?
Why enjoy a walk in the woods on a beautiful day?

Unless... when you finally kick off decades in the future, you go to a really fun place? That doesn't make a lick of sense.

Do you have children? Do you tell them 'Hey, if it turns out that there's no heaven, then having you and raising you was a completely meaningless waste?'. Because that's your claim. And how sad is that? Sad. Really sad. Pathetically sad.

Quote:
Isn't it?

If it just goes blank/dark/black when we die...what does anything matter?
Why enjoy a nice steak dinner if you're just going to be hungry again in a few hours? Why not just spend the minimum on sustenance? Why go on a vacation if it's just going to end and you have to come home? Why have a dog if it's just going to die long before you do?

The answer to all these questions, the glaringly obvious 'Duh!' answer is, of course, for the experiences themselves.

My life is rich and full and I have no need at all for some external bestowment of 'meaning' on it. I truly pity you for that fact that you think you do.

Because I don't believe you do. I think you believe you do, but theists often make claims about themselves that simply are not true. A similar one is the trite old chestnut that asserts that but for a deity and its declaration of universal rules of morality there would be no reason not to pillage/rape/kill. Yet atheists, including those who were theists and then became atheists, manifest no greater incidences of theft and assault and murder than do theists, which reveals how hollow is that claim. So, too, does the lack of a wave of suicides by masses of theists-turned-atheist leaving notes saying 'Why not? What's the point?'.

Old 05-27-2018, 02:03 PM

15,717 posts, read 7,211,138 times
You GO, Hulsker!

Old 05-27-2018, 02:10 PM

4,236 posts, read 1,651,076 times
Whatever awaits us on the "other side" - or even nothing - doesn't change the value of every day on Earth, and how we spend our time. We can obviously spend it many different ways, so why not try and help the world be better? It sure beats the crap and dysfunction that many engage in.

Old 05-27-2018, 02:58 PM

6,037 posts, read 3,476,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Perhaps the OP meant, there is no right or wrong if itís a void after death.
And this argument actually has some weight in it.

Why?

Why should 'void after death' have any impact on right and wrong in life?
That's only if you have a heaven or hell perspective.

As an athiest I still live my life in a good way regardless.

Why wouldn't I? Life is precious. You only get one go at it. Why would I want to ruin it by being a horrible person?

Old 05-27-2018, 03:03 PM

6,037 posts, read 3,476,753 times
Quote:

You set your own purpose. Life is a precious gift whether you believe in god or not.
The chances of us being here at all are too small to fathom. We are here by way of a series of cosmic and evolutionary accidents.

Dont waste it.

Old 05-27-2018, 03:15 PM

19,773 posts, read 9,331,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Wrong. Frankly, and I'm going to be blunt - that's a really dumb idea.

Why enjoy time spent with one of your children, or bounce a grandchild on your knee?
Why enjoy good cheer with friends?
Why enjoy lovemaking with a special someone?
Why enjoy a walk in the woods on a beautiful day?

Unless... when you finally kick off decades in the future, you go to a really fun place? That doesn't make a lick of sense.

Do you have children? Do you tell them 'Hey, if it turns out that there's no heaven, then having you and raising you was a completely meaningless waste?'. Because that's your claim. And how sad is that? Sad. Really sad. Pathetically sad.

Why enjoy a nice steak dinner if you're just going to be hungry again in a few hours? Why not just spend the minimum on sustenance? Why go on a vacation if it's just going to end and you have to come home? Why have a dog if it's just going to die long before you do?

The answer to all these questions, the glaringly obvious 'Duh!' answer is, of course, for the experiences themselves.

My life is rich and full and I have no need at all for some external bestowment of 'meaning' on it. I truly pity you for that fact that you think you do.

Because I don't believe you do. I think you believe you do, but theists often make claims about themselves that simply are not true. A similar one is the trite old chestnut that asserts that but for a deity and its declaration of universal rules of morality there would be no reason not to pillage/rape/kill. Yet atheists, including those who were theists and then became atheists, manifest no greater incidences of theft and assault and murder than do theists, which reveals how hollow is that claim. So, too, does the lack of a wave of suicides by masses of theists-turned-atheist leaving notes saying 'Why not? What's the point?'.
Excellent post. There's an old saying -- Life is what you make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or