Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2018, 01:57 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,423,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
It doesn't "just go dark" when we die.
Have you any evidence for your claims about what happens when we die? Other than your previously referred to descriptions of having not actually died that is? Because unfortunately an experience of not dying is not really informative of what happens when we do die.

Also as another user pointed out the "just go dark" phrase is rather misleading. Darkness is itself an experience. The claim being made is that we have no evidence that anything at all is experienced after death.

Quote:
And I have sincere pity for those who believe thusly.
You can keep your pity for those who actually require or want it. I would say people without a belief in the after life generally fit neither of those. In fact quite the opposite as the idea of an eternal life is quite horrific to many of us and we are entirely glad there is not a shred of reason to think one exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 06:07 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
It doesn't "just go dark" when we die.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Have you any evidence for your claims about what happens when we die?
I would very much like to echo monumentus' question here! And I'm actually rooting for this evidence to come up (no sarcasm).

Old 12-28-2018, 07:31 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
I’m not going to die until Youtube dies. I have more than a hundred videos out. People will learn from me and laugh occasionally. Everyone should make a video to leave loved ones.
you have a pretty good idea here, I think I might do it.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:43 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Well I'm definitely not convinced by anything I'm reading here that there's an afterlife. But I do sense that we've a lasting significance (and it seems to me that's more plausibly true if we continue to exist). As I said, this could just be wishful thinking, but I'm not even sure I ever wished it quite frankly. I always felt that I'd be perfectly content if this life was all there is. But that's only if I swallowed hard and admitted that the sense of significance is illusory and all our talk about "This life matters" was pretense.

I suppose the explanation could also be "You sense that we have significance because we're not going to perish in some heat death of the universe". But how would I know this?

In any case, we can argue conditionally:
IF there is an afterlife that continues infinitely, we have real significance. What we do and say matters.
If there is no afterlife, then nothing is truly significant because everything will end up being the same regardless of our behavior.
Just imagine how bad our world would be, if we were taught there is no afterlife whatsoever, I think it would be total chaos, no one would be concerned about accountability, if our actions didnt matter one way or the other.

There has to be some fear of punishment/accountability to maintain a civil and orderly society. That may be why the church was created in the first place.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:54 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Just imagine how bad our world would be, if we were taught there is no afterlife whatsoever, I think it would be total chaos, no one would be concerned about accountability, if our actions didnt matter one way or the other.

There has to be some fear of punishment/accountability to maintain a civil and orderly society. That may be why the church was created in the first place.
I think Christianity and Judaism do not believe in any after life punishment for their followers.

Christianity = Once saved, always saved. Believe in Jesus and a red carpet cosmic welcome is awaiting. Rest of everyone is going to go to hell because Jesus is the only way.

Judiasm = There is no hell for Jews. Only a few days of Rehab period for the naughty ones before they are also sent to Paradise.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:04 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:

More pertinent is it's what laws, courts, fines, retribution,condemnation from others and jails achieve if one goes against societies rules , not to mention unhappiness with oneself if not living up to your own standards ( and yes, we have them)
I'd be much less happy about living in an 8 x 10 concrete room while I'm alive than worrying about after death

Last edited by mensaguy; 12-28-2018 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote tag

Old 12-28-2018, 09:08 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Just imagine how bad our world would be, if we were taught there is no afterlife whatsoever, I think it would be total chaos, no one would be concerned about accountability, if our actions didnt matter one way or the other.There has to be some fear of punishment/accountability to maintain a civil and orderly society. That may be why the church was created in the first place.
So the only thing stopping you murdering, raping. stealing, cheating and being a thoroughly bad person...is the fear of punishment when you die. We theists don't do it because we believe it's not a good thing to do to others. Says a lot for the morals of you you theists eh? We are only safe from you murdering us in our beds...because you fear being punished for it when you die! Brilliant!

Last edited by Rafius; 12-28-2018 at 09:18 AM..

Old 12-28-2018, 09:10 AM

16,757 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Yet atheists do not live a chaotic life.

Quote:
Which is why we have to police. But even without the police, many people do not want to do bad things.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:44 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yet atheists do not live a chaotic life.

Which is why we have to police. But even without the police, many people do not want to do bad things
Ever heard of herd immunity? It's needed for most successful communities.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:36 AM

16,757 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Ever heard of herd immunity? It's needed for most successful communities.
It might be an idea to use the correct words. We are talking morality, not diseases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality