U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 07:21 PM

5,575 posts, read 1,808,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I think “wisely” is the key here, because, what if it’s not dark and blank after we die?
What if? Should I fear it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 07:30 PM

10,349 posts, read 4,370,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Why give a **** about anything?

I'm conflicted - I was raised Protestant, so I am in between believing and honestly not knowing why I am even here.
We are the ones who create the meaning in our lives. Sadly many people don't know what that entails and simply go through the motions of life without ever really finding a way to create a meaningful existence for themselves.

I really think purpose is not the right word to use as it implies there is some sort of invisible intelligent agent that designed humans for the sole purpose of worshiping it. That to me is about as meaningless of a life one could delude themselves into living.

There is no intended purpose of any species that's ever existed on this earth. Evolution of lifeforms is simply how the laws of nature work on Goldilocks planets.

It's up to us to create a meaningful life for ourselves during our short journey on this planet.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:45 PM

10,076 posts, read 14,413,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I think since my mother died, I started looking at everything differently.

The way she went - the way people all have kind of moved on, the way I saw my father give up on life, it kind of made me think, is that all this "life" is all about?

Nothing has any meaning? Why bother golfing? It's stupid. Why watch my pro sports teams? They aren't that relevant.

Why give a **** about anything?

I'm conflicted - I was raised Protestant, so I am in between believing and honestly not knowing why I am even here.

This is very significant. OP, you were touched by death. Matter of fact, you always see people dying around you yet, it does not really give any influence onto you. No impact. It's the special deaths of, say, those who are close (though death of ANY human is just as important as one of your close) that really touch someone. Or, death potential personal situations. Disease, threat, accident, many to choose from.
Then, reality reminds one - you are mortal. You come and go. Literally, in a blink. As life, no matter how intense or long, is of no significant duration as compared to eternity.

Maybe this touch, OP, will make a string vibrate in you. String that will make you change your life perspective and look into things that are of different value? Starting with finding answer to most significant question of them all - WHO AM I? WHAT AM I? Maybe this now existence will, finally, be that one, when you, your True You, immortal Self, will make effort in the right direction and start working to drop the spell of senses and bondage of ego mind?

Btw, OP. even playing golf can be a meditation. What you do is pretty much irrelevant, as it's all one game of ego mind. HOW you do it is the key.

https://upliftconnect.com/10-rules-for-being-human/

Old 05-27-2018, 07:50 PM

10,076 posts, read 14,413,700 times
Last thought, OP. If it "goes dark/black" - you are still alive. As you can still perceive darkness and blackness. If materialists were correct and death dissolves a human completely, much worth happens. NOTHING. Complete lack of existence in any form - and dead won't even know this. As he is - NOT.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:54 PM

24,178 posts, read 12,507,097 times
Quote:
I think “wisely” is the key here, because, what if it’s not dark and blank after we die?

Bonus.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Bonus.

bonus bonus bonus for me on account of I'm(and probably some others are too) already twice in the bonus round.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:02 PM

3,791 posts, read 1,377,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Last thought, OP. If it "goes dark/black" - you are still alive. As you can still perceive darkness and blackness. If materialists were correct and death dissolves a human completely, much worth happens. NOTHING. Complete lack of existence in any form - and dead won't even know this. As he is - NOT.
Which circles back to the original question in OP - if human ends in a “NOT” then everything eventually becomes meaningless, no?

Old 05-27-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
What if? Should I fear it?
It’s ALWAYS “what if”, look around, everything in nature is based on probabilities.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
It’s ALWAYS “what if”, look around, everything in nature is based on probabilities.
Yeah. I was more responding to why the what if mattered. So what if? Is there something I need to believe in order to change the what if?

Old 05-27-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Yeah. I was more responding to why the what if mattered. So what if? Is there something I need to believe in order to change the what if?
You actually taked about “fear” and now “believe”.
Perhaps it’s none, or both, I don’t know.

Whether it’s “wise” or not, is a judgement that you should make it on your own because generally, we are responsible for the outcome of our choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or