U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 08:26 PM

5,575 posts, read 1,808,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
You actually taked about “fear” and now “believe”.
Perhaps it’s none, or both, I don’t know.

Whether it’s “wise” or not, is a judgement that you should make it on your own because generally, we are responsible for the outcome of our choices.
I did. I asked if you thought I needed to fear something if I didn't choose wisely. I said believe instead of do because I doubt what I do is going to change based on an afterlife. It has been my experience that what I believe has no effect on actual reality just my own perspective. If there is an afterlife it will be what it will be despite what answers I do or do not currently have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 08:41 PM

35,693 posts, read 9,489,128 times
I think we are responsible for our lives. We needn't worry much about responsibilities after we're dead.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:19 PM

3,791 posts, read 1,377,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I think we are responsible for our lives. We needn't worry much about responsibilities after we're dead.
But then again, if there is a void after death then it doesn’t make a difference how we spent our lives (good or bad) because we won’t know.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
But then again, if there is a void after death then it doesn’t make a difference how we spent our lives (good or bad) because we won’t know.
I know now. It matters to me right here while I'm living it. I believe I can make things better, at least in my corner of the universe, in a way that will outlive me. That's enough to satisfy me. What more do you need? I don't know why you are calling that a void? I don't describe prior to my birth a void.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:44 PM

15,717 posts, read 7,211,138 times
Quote:
Most of us know how we ARE living, though.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I did. I asked if you thought I needed to fear something if I didn't choose wisely. I said believe instead of do because I doubt what I do is going to change based on an afterlife. It has been my experience that what I believe has no effect on actual reality just my own perspective. If there is an afterlife it will be what it will be despite what answers I do or do not currently have.
OK GoCardinals, how about answering this question?

Old 05-28-2018, 12:24 AM

19,773 posts, read 9,331,679 times
Quote:
It mattered when you were living.
It mattered to all the people you came in contact with.
It mattered to the people who were affected by what you said and did.
It mattered to your children, to your spouse, to your friends, to your family, to your neighbors, and to people who were in contact with at work and at leisure.

It sounds like you have a very empty life if you think it only matters as a dice roll to maybe pass go and collect eternity.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:09 AM

2,636 posts, read 726,719 times
Quote:
That's the ultimate question.

I don't know why I've been thinking more about it lately - i haven't felt that great for a while now. Maybe death is coming up on me soon?...

A number of people around me died within the last five years - some of them due to suicide, some OD'd.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:34 AM

15,717 posts, read 7,211,138 times
If people are trying to escape from life, they will.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:07 AM

35,693 posts, read 9,489,128 times
Quote:
Intrinsically, that's true. If we were all wiped out tomorrow with an asteroid impact, it wouldn't matter to the universe. But then, if we all lived happily ever after in heaven after we die, that would only have meaning for us, wouldn't it? I suspect that what is going on here is a fear of death rather than a need for 'meaning', The way i see it is there is probably no afterlife since the evidence doesn't convine me that anyone is coming back to tell us about it, and even if there was, if I'm any judge my old mate, I suspect you may be realising that the idea of any one religion have the concession for celestial entry -tickets makes no sense. No more than some god being more annoyed with atheists for not believing he exists than with all religions but One for believing in the wrong version of Him.

Thus If there is an afterlife, we all get it and if that means that Hitler and Pol Pot are there just as much as Socrates and Einstein, because the desire for retribution is really futile and the better plan is to make this life better for everyone, because after all, it might be the only one we get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or