U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2019, 05:12 AM

6,232 posts, read 3,274,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post

I'm conflicted - I was raised Protestant, so I am in between believing and honestly not knowing why I am even here.

That is a powerful INVITATION from God/ the universe/ life (use a word you are comfortable with) for the deepest inquiry possible ó why are we here?
Your motherís death stirred up that inquiry.
Sit with it in deep deep stillness.
Wrestle with it. Listen carefully/mindfully to the questions and answers that arise.

Those of us with deep faith and trust connect with God (use another word you are comfortable with) on a level that words canít go to. They can point to it, but itís a connection beyond words, and that connection is what
vibrates into us the faith and trust that there is sacred meaning in all this.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 08:43 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,202,372 times
Quote:
Why bother with anything in this life? EVERYTHING is meaningless, right?

Isn't it?

If it just goes blank/dark/black when we die...what does anything matter?

Our eyeballs might go blank but not our souls. I believe our spirits are taken into different realms like in Dante's work, etc. and there is no escape. Yup the universe and is more complex than we can ever imagine.

Old 05-12-2019, 06:35 PM

5,041 posts, read 2,484,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Our eyeballs might go blank but not our souls. I believe our spirits are taken into different realms like in Dante's work, etc. and there is no escape. Yup the universe and is more complex than we can ever imagine.
I find ' the soul that sins dies' according to the Bible at Ezekiel 18:4,20
Plus, the soul can be 'destroyed ' as per gospel writer Luke at Acts 3:23.
Mortal Adam was made from and returned to the dust of the Earth - Genesis 3:19.
A person can Not ' return ' to a place he never was before. Adam returned back to where he started.
There was No post-mortem penalty for Adam, No double jeopardy for Adam, just going back to non-existence.
Adam went from non-life, to life, and returned back to non-life.

As for one's spirit, "it" can go back to God in the same way a foreclosed house goes back to the owner.
The house does Not move or go anywhere, but any future prospect for the house lies in the hands of the owner.
So, the Owner of our spirit of life now rests in the hands of our Creator via a future resurrection by Christ Jesus.- Rev. 1:18.

Old 05-12-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I think since my mother died, I started looking at everything differently.
I'm conflicted - I was raised Protestant, so I am in between believing and honestly not knowing why I am even here.
I find the Bible lets us know why we are here according to Ephesians 1:12 to God's glory or praise.
In other words, if we live by God's righteousness that brings praise or glory to our Heavenly Father.
He wants you to be here to welcome back your mother in the Resurrection.
At Acts 14:15 it promises us that there is going to be a resurrection......
Those Not called to govern with Jesus in Heaven, can be resurrected to everlasting life on a beautiful paradisical Earth.
This is why we are all invited to pray the invitation of Rev. 22:20 for Jesus to come!
We don't pray to be 'taken up' to Jesus, nor pray to be 'taken away' to Jesus, but for Jesus to come !
Come and bring the blessing benefits of Rev. 22:2 for the ' healing ' of earth's nations.
Because of the Resurrection Hope mankind will see the return of the Genesis 'Tree of Life ' for the ' healing ' of earth's nations.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:00 AM

15,080 posts, read 10,207,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I find ' the soul that sins dies' according to the Bible at Ezekiel 18:4,20
Plus, the soul can be 'destroyed ' as per gospel writer Luke at Acts 3:23.
Mortal Adam was made from and returned to the dust of the Earth - Genesis 3:19.
A person can Not ' return ' to a place he never was before. Adam returned back to where he started.
There was No post-mortem penalty for Adam, No double jeopardy for Adam, just going back to non-existence.
Adam went from non-life, to life, and returned back to non-life.

As for one's spirit, "it" can go back to God in the same way a foreclosed house goes back to the owner.
The house does Not move or go anywhere, but any future prospect for the house lies in the hands of the owner.
So, the Owner of our spirit of life now rests in the hands of our Creator via a future resurrection by Christ Jesus.- Rev. 1:18.
Quote:
I find the Bible lets us know why we are here according to Ephesians 1:12 to God's glory or praise.
In other words, if we live by God's righteousness that brings praise or glory to our Heavenly Father.
Those Not called to govern with Jesus in Heaven, can be resurrected to everlasting life on a beautiful paradisical Earth.
This is why we are all invited to pray the invitation of Rev. 22:20 for Jesus to come!
We don't pray to be 'taken up' to Jesus, nor pray to be 'taken away' to Jesus, but for Jesus to come !
Come and bring the blessing benefits of Rev. 22:2 for the ' healing ' of earth's nations.
Because of the Resurrection Hope mankind will see the return of the Genesis 'Tree of Life ' for the ' healing ' of earth's nations.
Do you ever have any thoughts of your own?

Old 05-13-2019, 10:27 AM

10,950 posts, read 11,108,863 times
Quote:

The problem with all this, Matthew is that other Christian sects like the Methodists and the Calvinists believe things entirely different than you about how Christians are supposed to serve God and what will happen at the end of time. Those these are your personal beliefs and not the personal beliefs of other Christians. Why is God so disorganized? Couldn't He have made things so crystal clear for humans that there'd be no mistaking how everything is going to go down? Why didn't He, do you suppose?

Old 05-13-2019, 03:54 PM

19,447 posts, read 14,035,992 times
Quote:
Whoa! back up, because Scripture teaches the 'Earth abides forever' as per Ecclesiastes 1:4

Isaiah 24:19 The earth is utterly broken apart, the earth is split open, the earth is shaken violently.

So, did Alzheimer's Yahweh lie, or is he just so terribly confused he can't remember what he says?

Perhaps you could suggest Yahweh try some Xanaxģ (Alprazolam) and calm down.

Quote:
Our eyeballs might go blank but not our souls.
What soul?

Quote:
I believe our spirits are taken into different realms like in Dante's work, etc.
I believe you need to do a helluva lot more studying so you can understand the origin of those myths.

Why do you suppose Yahweh never sends anyone to Heaven or Hell?

Because they don't exist.

Quote:
You wanna know why you're here?

Because Earth was clocked by a planetoid 4.5 Billion years ago. Because an asteroid/comet with life impacted Earth. Because an anaerobic bacteria mutated to tolerate Oxygen. Because descendants of that mutated bacteria mutated to utilize Oxygen. Because an asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs.

Well, that's why humans are here. You personally, that's a bit more complicated.

But, the good news is that you live longer than parasites and insects and other animals, and you have a well-developed brain that allows you to take advantage of just about any opportunity you want and use that to improve your life so that you can be the best that you can be. And, then, maybe you can help guide others to be the best they can be, or not. If you want, you can rest on your laurels and gloat over your success. Aside from that, you can pretty much do what you wish, provided you cause no harm of any kind another (because then people will have to come down on you).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
If everyone ceases to exist after death (and by that I, for one, am referring to the heat death of the universe itself), then what we do has no real significance.
Oh, yeah? Tell that to Hitler's mother.

Or Thomas Jefferson's mother.

Or the mothers of Emperors Theodosius and Justinian, because without those two men, you wouldn't know anything about christianity.

Or Einstein. Tell him he should kept his job in the post office.

Significance can be lasting, or fleeting. And, while the significance attached to anything is highly subjective, everything is truly significant, due to the fact that everything is just the result of random interactions.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Do you ever have any thoughts of your own?
Now let me see, did Jesus ever have any thoughts ( scriptural ) of his own _______
Jesus' answer found at John 5:19
I also find that Jesus' teaching found at John 17:17 is that Scripture is religious truth.
Thus, that explains why Jesus often prefaced his statements with the words, " It is written....."
Meaning: already written down in God's Word ( Scripture ).

Did you ever wonder what books a Math teacher uses________
Did you ever wonder what books a History teacher uses ________
Did you ever wonder what books an English teacher uses _______
So, should it be any wonder what books a Bible teacher or Bible student uses _______

Old 05-13-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The problem with all this, Matthew is that other Christian sects like the Methodists and the Calvinists believe things entirely different than you about how Christians are supposed to serve God and what will happen at the end of time. Those these are your personal beliefs and not the personal beliefs of other Christians. Why is God so disorganized? Couldn't He have made things so crystal clear for humans that there'd be no mistaking how everything is going to go down? Why didn't He, do you suppose?
I find God does make things clear, clear for honest hearted ones who really want to know what the Bible really teaches.
Since the Bible is Not written in ABC order as a dictionary is, then we need to study or research the Scriptures by subject or topic arrangement.
That is why Daniel lets us know how scriptural light ( Proverbs 4:18 ) does grow lighter and brighter with the passing of time. Passing of time to our time frame - Daniel 12:9,4.
With the aid of a comprehensive concordance as a QR (quick reference) we can easily travel ' to and fro ' through the pages of Scripture as never before in history in seeing the linking corresponding cross-reference verses and passages.
Plus, remember there is a BIG difference between the 1st-century teachings of Christ as found in Scripture and the teachings of Christendom ( so-called Christian but mostly in name only ) teachings of church customs or church traditions taught as being Scripture but Not really found in Scripture.
Also, as Jesus forewarns us that MANY would come ' in his name ' but prove false at Matthew 7:21-23.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:12 AM

15,080 posts, read 10,207,789 times
Quote:
Now let me see, did Jesus ever have any thoughts ( scriptural ) of his own
Apparently not. All we have are people claiming to know what he thought...if he even existed that is.

_______
Quote:
Jesus' answer found at John 5:19
I also find that Jesus' teaching found at John 17:17 is that Scripture is religious truth.
Thus, that explains why Jesus often prefaced his statements with the words, " It is written....."
Meaning: already written down in God's Word ( Scripture ).

Did you ever wonder what books a Math teacher uses________
Did you ever wonder what books a History teacher uses ________
Did you ever wonder what books an English teacher uses _______
So, should it be any wonder what books a Bible teacher or Bible student uses _______
Maths (not Math) teachers, historians, English teachers and even Bible teachers are able to converse without having to refer to their respective books. You appear to be unable to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or