U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2019, 05:09 AM

664 posts, read 144,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
That is pretty bleak...we just live 70-80 yrs (give or take), and then just Not exist anymore, in ANY capacity!!

Whats the point of all this then? Why bother caring about how we live our lives or the things we do?
Do you love anyone? A child, maybe a spouse?

Do you ever tell that person "You know, I wouldn't even bother with you if there wasn't a big prize waiting for me after I die!".

Because that's what you're saying. And it's pitiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 07:21 AM

472 posts, read 93,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Good vibrations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Good vibrations =/= excitations
I'm pickin' up something here... and it's giving me a strange urge to go surfing...

Is this what happens after we die?

Old 05-20-2019, 07:26 AM

472 posts, read 93,546 times
Quote:
That is pretty bleak...we just live 24 HOURS (give or take), and then just Not exist anymore, in ANY capacity!!

Whats the point of all this then? Why bother caring about how we live our lives or the things we do?
FIFY. Sincerely, the Mayfly

Old 05-20-2019, 10:34 AM

15,310 posts, read 10,332,182 times
Quote:
That is pretty bleak...we just live 70-80 yrs (give or take), and then just Not exist anymore, in ANY capacity!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Do you love anyone? A child, maybe a spouse?

Do you ever tell that person "You know, I wouldn't even bother with you if there wasn't a big prize waiting for me after I die!".

Because that's what you're saying. And it's pitiful.
BOOOOOOM! Spot on.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:48 PM

5,133 posts, read 2,527,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
I'm pickin' up something here... and it's giving me a strange urge to go surfing...
Is this what happens after we die?
Seems to me surfing for the dead must wait until Resurrection Day ( meaning Jesus' coming 1,000-year day of governing over Earth )
We can be assured that ' No one dead is in any pain ' because Jesus taught ' sleep in death ' at John 11:11-14.
Jesus was well educated in the old Hebrew Scriptures which also teach ' sleep in death ':
- Such as: Psalms 6:5; 13:3; 115:17; 146:4; Isaiah 38:18 and Ecclesiastes 9:5 that the dead know nothing.
So, the dead know nothing but sleep until awakened on Resurrection Day.- Rev. 1:18
That is when ' enemy death ' will be No more on Earth - 1st Corinthians 15:24-26; Isaiah 25:8
No one will say, " I am sick...." as per Isaiah 33:24, and all will be healthy as described in the 35th chapter of Isaiah.
This is because mankind will see the return of the Genesis ' tree of life ' on Earth as mentioned at Rev. 22:2.
This is why we are all invited to pray the invitation of Rev. 22:20 for Jesus to come !
Come and bring blessing benefits to Earth for the ' healing ' of earth's nations - Rev. 22:2

Old 05-20-2019, 04:58 PM

13,450 posts, read 4,976,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Yes, but the amazing part of my experience is that my sense of Self is now a part of the ONENESS. I used the analogy of the Wave at a sporting event to inadequately convey it. That went against my expectations of Nirvana in the Buddhist concept.
Like a memory of my father's hand shake. The one thing I took from him, I can close my hand and feel his hand to this day.

Your claim can be linked back to the standard model ... easily.

I have no problem with it.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:01 PM

19,868 posts, read 14,217,545 times
Quote:
Why should you be different than any other organism?

What makes you so special that you should get a free pass to some mythical eternity?

To even suggest that, is indicative of an ethnocentric view.

You're not really all that different than the 100s of Millions of other organisms existing now or that are extinct.

You're structurally different with greater agility, dexterity and mobility than other organisms, and your brain has developed to allow greater cognitive ability.

But, 90% of your DNA isn't even you, it's everything that lived before you, so any claim that you are different fails, since only 10% of your DNA is actually different.

Seeing how everyone just blinks out, it's probably best to avail yourself of every opportunity that presents itself, so that you can have the widest range of experiences.

I used to feel sorry for people who never traveled outside the county where they were born, but not any more. I realize they're just as dumb and stupid as Homo Erectus, and they're not even smart enough to know what they're missing. Ignorance truly is bliss, so just let them be.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:06 PM

13,450 posts, read 4,976,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Do you really believe YOU are a mere complex volume of interactions? Do you truly believe that the intelligent rational being I am conversing with does not really exist as a composite Being comprised of some form of energy?

the interactions are the energy potentials (what ever is it is) interacting. The complex set of interactions is empirical, we can point to it. You field is as yet unknown, I am not o sure why you need it.

Be that as it may ... Thats why trans and his iron curtain gang run so fast from it. I stack up complexity vs volume ratio up next to "deny everything because theist can use it and make atheism harder to sell" and they have no choice but to run ... don't they.

let alone a measurement ... and poof ... to the cross we go. Exactly like they did to jesus.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:58 AM

13,668 posts, read 5,509,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I used to feel sorry for people who never traveled outside the county where they were born, but not any more. I realize they're just as dumb and stupid as Homo Erectus, and they're not even smart enough to know what they're missing. Ignorance truly is bliss, so just let them be.
Traveling to China in 2006 was very interesting, but it’s not like it was some kind of “orgasmic” experience. . I really don’t “feel sorry” for anyone who hasn’t been to China.

Most people simply don’t have the financial means to travel to distant lands. It’s not willful ignorance that prevents them from going.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:45 AM

19,774 posts, read 19,875,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Seeing how everyone just blinks out, it's probably best to avail yourself of every opportunity that presents itself, so that you can have the widest range of experiences.

The first paragraph is easy to agree with.
That last one is absurd and very objectionable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or